Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-24-2017, 10:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar 197, 2008
Verdict on final grit on sandpaper?

Hey all,

Made the very big mistake of putting a teak varathane on the swim platform last year.....luckily no one was killed on the "ice rink" that resulted.

Needless to say, I have sanded her right down again and I want to avoid making it too slippery again. Is a fine grit (220 or higher) too smooth for this specific use? .....it'll look and feel great, but will it still be functional?

Going to go with the Starbrite Teak Oil.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I would stop at 120 grit. That has worked out nicely on my platform. I would consider using the mixture of 75% linseed oil and 25% mineral spirits. The finish is beautiful and no teak oil to track into your boat. I will caution you that if you go with the mixture, have a care with leftover rags- they can self combust. I put mine in a pail of water or toss them in a bonfire. Name:  2015-07-28 19.22.33.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  151.9 KB

Custom wheel and tire packages
Rebuilding Holley Carbs $249
Rebuilt complete Holley Carbs $400

$125 LED LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $249 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS
FOR 302, 351 & 454 STARTING AT $425 DELIVERED
Email - tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the advice ......120 it is. Saves my wrists as they are done after the hours it took to get that damn varathane off!

Going to try the linseed mix....Dumb question....what the hell are mineral "spirits" and where do you buy them? ......sounds like something you'd have to drive to Sedona to get, or maybe at a palm readers
Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryrobinson View Post
Thanks for the advice ......120 it is. Saves my wrists as they are done after the hours it took to get that damn varathane off!

Going to try the linseed mix....Dumb question....what the hell are mineral "spirits" and where do you buy them? ......sounds like something you'd have to drive to Sedona to get, or maybe at a palm readers
Paint aisle at any hardware store. It will be next to the paint thinner. It is really handy to clean stuff up too.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:17 PM
TT Newbie

Awesome! Another trip to the hardware store....my favorite. If I don't keep it under $200 bucks this time my wife is going to kill me! Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-25-2017, 08:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Might want to invest in a palm sander. Makes the job much easier. But then again, Popeye arms are impressive. Lol

Custom wheel and tire packages
Rebuilding Holley Carbs $249
Rebuilt complete Holley Carbs $400

$125 LED LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $249 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS
FOR 302, 351 & 454 STARTING AT $425 DELIVERED
Email - tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 05-29-2017, 09:51 AM
TT Newbie

All Finished

Well......Here's the results with the Linseed Oil/Mineral Spirits. Very Happy!
Just of note, you can get "Raw" or "Boiled" Linseed Oil. I opted for the Boiled as it drys faster. However, apparently the Raw can be used as well and may actually provide more protection (but I'm not sure)

I also attached a picture of the "Burning Pail of Linseed Oil Rags"......THANKS FOR THE TIP!

Cheers Everyone!
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2017, 10:16 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryrobinson View Post
Well......Here's the results with the Linseed Oil/Mineral Spirits. Very Happy!
Just of note, you can get "Raw" or "Boiled" Linseed Oil. I opted for the Boiled as it drys faster. However, apparently the Raw can be used as well and may actually provide more protection (but I'm not sure)

I also attached a picture of the "Burning Pail of Linseed Oil Rags"......THANKS FOR THE TIP!

Cheers Everyone!
I never say I told you so...but I have endorsed this mixture for a long time.... looks great! Glad you are pleased with it but where you will really like it is the length of life this has to stay with the wood and the oil that is not coming back into your boat carpet as you use the board. Boiled has a little less oil base than does raw...my preference as well.

What I have found (maybe psychological) is that the shine stays with the board; in that I wipe the board with 303 when I get home and garage the boat in between uses.

I also cut two holes in my board to allow for Boat Buckle straps to fit to the lifting rings, from the trailer.

$0.02

Attached Images

John 3:16-18
Old 05-29-2017, 11:32 AM
TT Newbie

Looks awesome! Love the idea of the holes cut to reach the tie-down rings. My 2007 Prostar 197 has rings underneath that I can grab.

I was surprised how "non-greasy" the Linseed oil came out....you're right, definitely nothing to track into the boat!

I'm wondering how long mine will last seeing as how my boat stays in the water all summer. I anticipate having to likely take it off once to redo at some point, but we'll see.

Also, I think those "Teak Restorer" products are misleading. If you're swim platform is completely grey and hasn't been touched for years (as mine was when I got it), you've got to sand it down and start over......they'll tell you that you don't....but you do. No amount of product will do it (in my opinion....but with tons of anecdotal evidence to back it up as I tried everything).

Cheers!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Prostar 197
Has anyone ever used mineral oil on their teak swim platform?