Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-05-2018, 08:59 AM
TT Regular

Boat: ,88 Prostar 190
1988 PS 190 floor replacement?

After 30 years, the floor board behind the engine cover is finally getting too soft to trust. I've seen some posts about supporting it with aluminum angle iron and have done a similar thing. However the board is now so spongy that unless you stand on the brace, it will give. I'd like to replace it with something fresh and am looking for suggestions. What have others done? Marine plywood? (I hate to use wood), plastic panel? Other ideas?

Also any pointers on getting the carpet off without destroying it? I don't want this "simple" repair to turn into re-carpeting the entire boat!

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2018, 10:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
You don't need marine plywood. From Google:

Quote:
Marine-grade plywood, often simply called marine plywood, is not what it's often claimed to be. That is, it's not waterproof. Since it's not treated with chemicals it is not rot resistant. However, it is a good-quality, hardwood plywood made with waterproof glue. Better grades also tend to be lightweight, strong, and virtually free of defects.
Treated or even regular 3/4" plywood from your local store will work fine. You'll want to encapsulate it with a couple of coats of epoxy resin to make it waterproof. The biggest problem will be trying to reuse your carpet, I'm skeptical that you can remove it without destroying it.

You can use Starboard, which is HDPE. Being plastic, it will never rot. It will be expensive, and I don't believe it will be as stiff as plywood.

If it was my boat I'd go with a nice piece of treated plywood.

Last edited by Miss Rita; 09-05-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
My 88's rear's floor is soft too - its also kind of thin. My 94 had the aluminum honeycomb and its been replaced with a ~1" thick piece of starboard - which is a heavy heavy part. I'd replace that with wood in a second if I had matching carpet.

The 88's I will probably do with plywood, painted with thin epoxy and vacuum bagged between two layers of plastic sheeting to draw it into the wood.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
When I redid my boat last year (still working thru it) I just used plywood that i epoxied... I assume it will last a good long time. One thing I did do was on the piece behind the motor box I remade it into 3 pieces.. thinking I wanted to be able to lift the floor hatch to be able to adjust prop shaft drip rate or at least check it with out removing seat and engine cover.
So i have one small piece maybe 5 inches wide that I just screw engine hinges to, the next one fits in between that piece and where seat begins. there is a third piece under the seat. the only piece i have screwed down is the one the engine cover is attached to. Its worked out great. you can sort of see the breaks in the 1st image along with improved rear seat storage. In the 2nd pic you can see how I reinforced the panels by using strips of ply mounted on end. these were epoxied as well and glued/screwed in. the reinforcement are probably overkill as its not much of a span and its probably fine if they bow a little.
Attached Images