Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2014, 10:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205V
New Mastercraft Owner Here

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here on the forum. I recently sold my boat (a 1990 Malibu Sunsetter that I loved) and went in search of a replacement. I wanted something that could ski, wakeboard, maybe surf, and give a little more room for relaxation. I was mainly looking at Malibus because they were familiar, but kept my eye open. Last week a beautifil Mastercraft caught my eye. A day later I had a deposit down on a very clean (at least form the pictures and description) 2000 ProStar 205V Sammy Duval edition. The boat has about 255 hours on it and, like I said, looks to be very clean. It has a zero flex tower, speed control, ski lolcker ballast, 310 HP motor, and single axel trailer. I knew a little about the 205V but not a lot. I moved really fast and am hoping I didnt make a mistake. I am making the 6 hour one way trip to pick it up Friday. The dealer said if it was mis represented they would make things right, and they seemed reliable.

Here are my questions. What should I look for when I get there? Did these boats have major problem areas? I am familar with inboards, but not v-drives. I am fairly mechanically inclined though so I'd like to check things out.

Is the stock speed control good?
In the future I would like to add automated ballast to the rear lockers. Can you point me in the direction of some helpful threads?
I would also like to add tower speakers and get new board racks. Any Advice?

The big questions. Will I like this boat?? Will it seem like an improvement from my previous boat? Did I over pay?? I am hesitant to give the price since I havent actually picked it up yet, but what would you guys say its worth?

Lastly, thank you from having me here. I am still new to the site so if this is in the wrong place I apologize.

Jake
Old 07-15-2014, 11:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
I have a similar boat (2001 205V Prostar) and paid 21k for it. Low hours everything looked good and he had just had the trans redone (apparently some issues for these years). Only thing yours has that mine doesn't is that is the perfect pass.

Doing the rear lockers for ballast is a piece of cake. Took me a weekend to hook everything up electrical wise. Not really happy with the way the wires got routed but didn't have much of a choice as I was about to pull the floor board up (so ran the wires up and around the bow and tucked them to hide them away). If you have questions about the install or need help just shoot me a message. I have a thread kicking around here of my install but not sure if I ever finished completely.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Yes, you're in the right place and welcome! The 205v is a great boat.

Here's a write-up from east tx skier on what to look for when buying a used boat: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...4&postcount=47

Here are a few good one's on the 205v:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=15198
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52647
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ead.php?t=5337

Upholstery wasn't great in those years so inspect carefully. Water could get into transmission if seal was bad, so check tranny fluid and make sure it's clean and not "milky". Inspect trailer carefully, including wheels and tires before pulling it 6 hours...mine was rusting from the inside out, but I didn't know what to look for. Steering should be easy with one finger. Check for stress cracks. Hopefully you'll get to lake test. Have fun and happy reading!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Other check is to see if you can spin the prop by hand from underneath the boat. If not means you have some sort of problems going on.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the replies and the links guys. I don't think it has perfect pass. It just says speed control and I didn't see a PP gauge. Did Mastercraft have there own speed control, and did it work? I'll be sure to thoroughly check all the places you guys mentioned. I nabbed a couple pictures from the dealer website for you guys to enjoy.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
New Mastercraft Owner Here

The 205v/xstar/x2/x1 is a great boat. I had a 2003 x2 which is the same as you are looking at. Sold it last fall after getting 09 xstar. Never had any repairs other than oil change water pump impellers and transmission fluid changes in the ten years. Around 2004 mc used their own cruise. A friend had that in theirs. I didn't like it. Pp is much better hence mc is using pp now. It was usable though.

By the way it looks real nice in the pictures. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Very nice looking boat. Welcome to Team Talk.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Nice looking boat. If you tow it home, you'll want to do something to secure that rear middle seat. Heard stories of guys making it home without theirs. I have one long seat back there, but still put the tool bag on it when I trailer. Also heard a cooler in front of it works.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Nice looking boat. If you tow it home, you'll want to do something to secure that rear middle seat. Heard stories of guys making it home without theirs. I have one long seat back there, but still put the tool bag on it when I trailer. Also heard a cooler in front of it works.

I had the long one and it blew out 3 weeks old. From that point on Bimini on top of kneeboard to hold it down. Windshield with wind guard helps too.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM
TT Regular

Thanks for the reminder about the back seat. I'll probably just pull it out and throw it in the truck. I plan on taking a spare tire, jack, tools, and a grease gun with me just in case. Anything else you can think of that would be useful?

Tags
205v, ballast, malibu