Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
That is one unique sexy boat. Not very many duval flake 205v's out there. I gotta say that's only the second one I have ever seen.

Check the welds on that tower for cracks, check the seat cushions for stress tears as the vinyl in these years was terrible. The trans is going to give you a clunk and rattle bit more that your bu's it's completely normal for it to sound like marbles rattling around in there at very low low idle speeds. Other than that these boats are absolutely bomb prof and treat you very very well if you treat them well.

As to the rear seat there should be a snap on the bottom to secure it. I can see the snap already in the fiberglass that it snaps to.

The first and only mod I would make is remove the ram for the hatch and just add a latch and another gas shock. While it may seem cool now it's annoying as all heck to get in and out of there with it. Also if you plan to add ballast bags it opens that area up tremendously to get your weight even. Jeff d did a thread on it and I followed his to do mine.

As far as perfect pass. There are several models that can be on there without an actual perfect pass digital gauge. One is called perfect pass cruise. It's a cheaper version that works much like a car. Get up to speed and push the button to engage. Simple.

Other than that good luck I would say high end 22 .....low end 17ish, all depends on the condition. That trailer looks pretty new though. While it has the tower it's pretty bare bones and have base engine(not underpowered by any means) If it's clean I say 18-20k would be fair. Depends how well you can deal also. I will say that you will be hard pressed to find another just like that in anywhere in that color scheme so if it is mint I may be willing to pay a little more for uniqueness.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-Star
You'll probably need an adapter for your tow vehicle. I think the trailer has a flat 5 pin wiring harness, but I'd call and check.

Also, can't tell from the pics if the trailer has the boat buckles. I'd take along a couple transom tie down straps just in case.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:18 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205V
Swat guy- Your had the same thoughts on the color as I did. That's what initally caught my eye. To be honest I was set on another Malibu, but this one intrigued me so after some research I decided to go with it.

The only thing I dont like looks wise is the tower. It looks like a jungle gym up there. The ones on later models look so much better! I can't decide if I will change it or just dress it up with speakers and racks.

I have heard that about the tranny on these boats compared to my old one. I'm sure it will take some getting used to. I'll aslo check for the snap on the seat, and transom tie downs.

I have already been looking into gas shocks for the engine cover. I have friends with big cigarette boats that have the electric openers, and you are right, its annoying.

What is it about the vinyl on these boats? Thats not the first time I have heard that. Is it just a matter of time before it goes to crap?

The dealer assured me that the boat is basically mint. It sat on a lift covered , and the trailer sat in a garage so that's why its in so good of shape. When its all said and done, after paying Illinois taxes and all I should be right around 20K. I figured at that point, if it's in good shape I can't get hurt.

Im sure I'll be disappointed when I get there about the condition because I know my meaning of mint is different than most, but hopefully its close.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
You're right there with everything then Good luck. I have that same tower . While maybe not the best looking in photos or on the trailer I think once you see it in the water and put couple racks on there you won't mind it. The only issue is your limited to only 2 tower speakers if you mount then on the rear bar

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 07-17-2014, 03:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ...
I've got an '00 xstar so essentially the same boat.

The transmission fluid was milky when I got the boat, checked the trans cooler, no leaks so the output seal was to blame. If the bilge fills with water the trans seal can be submerged, if this happens it will draw water into the transmission. Fortunately, I don't have any leaks coming from the seal and if I need to replace it down the line, it isn't too bad a job but certainly not as easy or as quick as a seal replacement on a DD boat. Check there are no leaks from the seal, run your finger underneath to check. Look to see if the bilge is reasonably clean, any oil from the engine or trans will make itself known as the bilge will not be sparkling......

Check all the gauges work and give accurate readings. The medallion gauges on these boats are rubbish and you can waste a lot of time and money trying to troubleshoot them.

The prop on my boat is tight to turn,but with a little water on the cutlass bearing it can be turned with one finger. Check also for play on the rudder. There are grease nipples on the rudder base, do they look as if they have recently been serviced?

I actually quite like the electric lid lid on mine, keeps the kids from playing around opening and closing it. Provides a little security too as most won't know to operate it via a switch. 450lb sacs fit in and don't interfere with the actuator so not a necessity to remove and replace this.

Do the usual engine checks, will the dealer do a compression test for you, all should be within around 10psi of each other, can you get them to read the hours on the ECU to verify them. Check the rotor arm, has it been replaced or is it worn?, this normally gives a good indication if the engine has been regularly serviced. Plan on changing the fuel filter (in the tank) when you get a chance.

Tags
205v, ballast, malibu