Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-30-2017, 11:33 AM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Induction Cooktops

Been thinking about posting this for a while, and I'm doing it now since it appears a lot of you guys are into cooking and non-stick pans .

We hate our glass top electric stove because you can't control the heat very well. Especially when you need to reduce the heat -- the glass burners just stay hot. And it seems to take forever to boil a pot of water.

An induction cooktop looks like it might be a good option. I've read that heat control is great. Do any of you have experience with these stoves? Good or bad? What type of cookware do you use on it? I'm willing to replace our old pots and pans if necessary.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 11-30-2017, 11:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X10
If you can go gas... do it. Induction is nice, I don't own one, but have used one, but I prefer cooking over gas personally. I'm assuming gas isn't an option?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
We remodeled about 5 years ago and went with an induction stove. All I can tell you is that we absolutely love it and would never consider another plain electric stove again. The induction heats very quickly, controls the temp as good as gas (if not better) and residual heat on the top of the stove is minimal because there is no heat element underneath.
The drawback is that the pans need to be ferrous (magnetic). We found a wide selection at Ikea that were relatively inexpensive.
Induction has been popular in Europe for years. It was recommended to us when we discussed with a friend who sells appliances (he was in another state, so he was not selling to us).
So while it was a more expensive option, we are very happy we went induction and would not consider anything else in the future. Very fast heating and extremely controllable!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1973 Mastercraft
At out last house we had an induction stove for about 5 years and we loved it. We recently moved and now have a gas stove, and would go back if we were remodeling. The induction was just as good or better at heating things, and didn't leave the pans/handles hot/hard to handle. It was also way easier to keep clean.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MasterCraft Maristar 200 VRS
My wife is a cookbook author, so we looked into induction cooking and even attended a few chef's events for a house we're building. Bottom line was just what Ryan said -- natural gas is the best if it's available to you. Induction is the next best bet if you can't go gas. Traditional electric is a distant third, right above a woodburning stove.

An odd feature/drawback of induction stoves is that they only work with ferrous metals. A copper, aluminum (anodized or not), Pyrex, or even a nonferrous stainless pan can sit on an induction burner all day and not heat properly. Cast iron pans like Le Creuset seemed to work the best.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-30 MCX
We just built a house and my wife had her heart set on gas. After seeing the induction it was over. She was concerned about how hard gas can be to clean and the solid surface of induction was perfect. Induction heats as quickly as gas and she was happy to replace her pans that were over 12 years old.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:47 PM
MC Addict

We'd love to have a gas stove but we don't have a gas line in our house or neighborhood. I thought about getting an LP tank installed and running gas lines to the kitchen for a gas stove (anybody done this?). That's how much we hate the electric ranges.

So, price really isn't a consideration, within reason. We just want the best possible cooking surface. You guys who have and like your induction stoves, what brand/model do you have?

Former boats:
1990 Prostar 190
Old 11-30-2017, 03:50 PM
MC Addict

I've read some reviews by people who complained about the noise from induction stoves (from the fans?) Have you guys noticed that?

Former boats:
1990 Prostar 190
Old 11-30-2017, 05:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Our lakehouse has propane for cooktop, oven and as backup for the furnace. Sounds reasonable to me, but definitely more expensive than induction.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
There is a fan that comes on, but it's not objectionable. It comes on when the oven is on also. The cooking surfaces can make a funky noise also, but it's not objectionable at all, just different. It depends on your cookware too and how it interacts.

The one we bought is an Electrolux. See if you can find an appliance store that will demonstrate the FAB's of induction stoves. When we looked at ours, the dealer had them in a kitchen/showroom setting so they could demo the stoves. That way you can hear the sounds it makes and determine if you are comfortable with it.