Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
Sandals has 3 places in St. Lucia now. We do adult only places for the most part. Since we are doing some major trips I just don't know if we will swing Jade Mtn. this time? JBMCCUL, my wife did a Globus tour and it was go, go, go. I am thinking we want to see some sights but maybe a little more slow paced "romantic" trip to Italy, so suggestions are appreciated. We usually do "boutique" type place instead of the mega resorts. I would appreciate any special places to recommend please.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
We stayed at the Grande in St Lucia for our honeymoon. Great resort and had a blast. Saw Jade mountain during the island tour we picked up on the beach of the resort (which I highly recommend) and it is an incredible resort however we did not have that kind of money to spend for the honeymoon. Would like to go back one day maybe.

The only thing that is rough is the car ride from the airport to the hotel (2 hours through the mountains). If you can swing it there is a private car or even a helicopter option which makes it a lot more bearable.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:57 PM
MC Devotee

The private transport is a god idea. We usually do so, especially in Mexico. Stopping at 8 other resorts while you are on vacation is not my idea of a good time. Just returned from MX and we saw people on our plane get to the resort and we had been at the pool for over an hour. Did not realize the AP was 2 hours from resort. Sandals Grande is most likely where we will stay as we do not golf and the other looks a bit more dated?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Can not speak to Italy and Greece, but the St Lucia Sandals 'Grande' looks awesome. My time @ Sandals Negril was awesome. Super inclusive with waterskiing and scuba. Food was very good as well.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskifreak View Post
The private transport is a god idea. We usually do so, especially in Mexico. Stopping at 8 other resorts while you are on vacation is not my idea of a good time. Just returned from MX and we saw people on our plane get to the resort and we had been at the pool for over an hour. Did not realize the AP was 2 hours from resort. Sandals Grande is most likely where we will stay as we do not golf and the other looks a bit more dated?
It is a private shuttle from the airport to the Sandals resorts with the Grande being the last stop (hence the two hours if I am remembering correctly). It is literally on the other side of the island.

The grande was the most lively place out of all 3 on the island. You can go to any other of the resorts on the island free of charge but the grande nightlife was the best out of the 3 so that is where we wanted to stay.

However the best restaurant out of all 3 resorts was the hibachi grill that was on the other two but not the grande. So we spent one day there and checked it out but the rest of the time we just stayed on our own resort. One of our favorite things to do was the Piano bar late at night. Some really talented guys playing down there. Also the Island tour is Charlie's Island tour if I remember the name correctly. We actually ate at his aunts house and got an authentic st lucian meal (which is something we really wanted to do).

If you like rum the tour of the Chairmens Reserve distillery is really cool and they let you sample over 20 different alcohols at the end of the tour. Bonus the top shelf Chairmens Reserve Forgotten Cask Rum is under $20 a bottle and one of the best rum's I have had.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Malibu Response LX w/ LS1
I just sent you two private messages containing my Trip Advisor review from our honeymoon at the Grande 5 years ago. It was too long to send in one message, so my apologies. *Just figured out how to copy the link directly to my post, so for the benefit of anyone else considering the Grande, here it is.

We did opt for the helicopter from the international airport on the south end of the island to the regional airport on the north end. Our travel agent had booked this through Sandals, so the resort had an Audi A4 waiting for us at the regional airport with cold Pitons (local beer). The couple that flew with us in the helicopter had booked directly with St Lucia Helicopters, so I begrudgingly agreed to share our car with them, since they otherwise would have had to wait for a cab... Keep that in mind if you do the helicopter transfer! Also, if I recall, St Lucia Helicopters has three helis, and one was 'out of service' the day of our arrival. As such, us and the aforementioned other couple had to wait in the Sandals lounge at UVA for about an hour and a half for the first group to get dropped off and for the heli to return to pick us up. As such, we literally arrive to the Grande directly behind the shuttle bus that had departed the airport shortly after arrival, so two hours is pretty much spot on.

Not sure what they're running now, but when we were there in 2014 they had a previous generation 197 for guests to ski behind. First (and only) time skiing in salt water, with no gloves and 'primitive' equipment, was a bit challenging!

I would return to the Grande in a heartbeat, and though we did visit both other resorts one evening each for dinners, I would choose the Grande for lodging based on the evening activities. I'm happy to answer any additional questions or elaborate on anything, so feel free to private message me.

Last edited by No Skeez; 10-11-2018 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added link to Trip Advisor review
Old 10-11-2018, 07:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X9
We have St Lucia Sandals La Toc booked for March. We stayed at Sandals Grand Caribbean last year and I agree with No Skeez comments on the Sandals service. We had a butler in Jamaica and was fantastic. I hope St Lucia is as good. Based on other friends experiences I expect it will be also. Canít wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous boat: '83 19' Skier (S&S)
Current boat: 02 X-9
Next boat: ?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:48 PM
MC Devotee

Great P.M. Noskeez.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:52 PM

Boat: XT22
I thought you were going to spring for the "money is no option" vaca.