Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
Cozumel, or Isla Mujeres are both much better than Cancun. Both have great beaches on the lee sides of the islands where the water is much calmer, great for snorkeling.
+1000 for Isla Mujeres

It is almost as convenient as Cancun, but a small safe island with character. You can explore the island on golf carts and get a little more of a feel for Latin culture and food than the bland "all inclusive" resort places.
A friend got married at Mujeres (his wife is from Mexico) and we all had a great trip, I would go back in a heartbeat.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
Cancun Hotel Zone = totally Americanized, glitz, nightlife, booze, american food, almost like being in the USA.

Cozumel = more local color, some nightlife but more subdued, diving, snorkeling, sightseeing, swimming, sun worship, real mexican food, you can go around the whole island on a scooter. Cruise ships dock here for a few hours every other day.

Isla Mujeres = Most laid back, more local culture, great beaches(topless also) same things to do as Cozumel without the cruise ships, most things at a less frenetic pace.

In all these places ALWAYS ask if the water, as well as the ice, is purified. If not, don't drink.

Last edited by roadster02; 07-24-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190 285hp powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I prefer Puerto Vallarta or Ixtapa to Cancun. If you plan to do nothing but stay on the resort Cancun is still pretty good...outside the resorts never feels safe. Lots in the press here locally lately on either drugged drinks or budget booze with methanol or other contaminants and related crimes/deaths at/in Cancun resorts.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
Here in WI we are hearing the same. Two people from wi were recently down there and both were pulled from the pool, the sister died but the brother lived. The mexican gov and hospital said too much drinking but lab results showed exactly what was stated above. We went down to riviera maya, it was fun but never felt safe. Kinda sucks spending money on vaca and have to worry either about the crime and stuff or even just what day you are going to get the s h i t s. Not complaining it was fun just telling you the truth.

We enjoy the cayman islands.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
Gulf of Mexico water, clear and warm as bath water, Pacific ocean, cold, dark, and usually filthy.
Couldn't be farther from the truth regarding filthy water. Cabo has deep, blue, very clear water and excellent snorkeling. I'd bypass Cancun proper, which others have stated. Go south, or go somewhere else. Or, if you are a foodie, don't do Cancun at all.

Regarding slalomjunkie post on Moon Palace beach. Yes, the seaweed is terrible on the beach. Best pools in the area though and service is excellent.

Will still state that if you want cultural old Mexico experience, Mazatlan is the best. Of course, my experience in Mexico is only Cancun, south of Cancun to about Tulum and Cabo San Lucas. We likely won't ever go back to the Gulf side unless it is Cozumel. We will be going back to Mazatlan and Cabo for years to come. IMO, Cabo should be done via rentals (VRBO), Cancun via all-inclusives and Mazatlan at either the El Cid, or somewhere in the middle of the Golden Zone.

On the money side, you won't find cheaper, yet great quality Mexico than Mazatlan. Cabo and Cancun are very pricey. Huge number of Ex-Pats living in Mazatlan.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Ambergris: 1 trip there. Awesome but, no beach in the tourist zone. Beautiful beaches near Portofino hotel. Nightlife is spotty, some is lets say unsafe. Palapa Bar and Grill, Fido’s, Elvi’s, and Wahoo’s for the weekly live chicken drop. Other than that, you best have a C-card. Trip to Blue Hole is $$$ but worth it once. Reef Adventures scuba was great. Amigos Del Mar for Blue Hole. dolphins, whales and sharks all in the same day. Best meal of the day was the bbq chicken stand outside Caye Mart (saturdays only) - and only $7.

Grand Cayman: 3 trips there. Hard to beat these beaches. 2nd only perhaps to Providenciales, but that is definitely debatable. Nightlife kinda sucks (we tried calico jacks one night – not worth it). Sunshine Suites is a great affordable option across the street from the beach. Visit Hell, turtle farm, Rum Point, east end. Restaurants: Sunshine bar and grill, Lone Star, Grape Tree café (non miss in Boddentown), Guy Harveys, Rackams, Eats café, Coconut Joes, Da Fish Shack, My Bar @ Sunset House has an excellent bar and grill, legendz. The $2 bus in Grand cayman – super convenient and safe. Grocery store is decent, prices are high.

Cozumel: 14 trips there… Best scuba, but I can mostly only compare to Caribbean locations. South Pacific could win out. Nightlife really is dead, but you might get lucky and have fun at Seńor Frogs. Restaurants are amazing here: Mezcalitos, Coconuts, Palmeras, La Choza, Rolandis, Guidos, La Mission is becoming a great favorite of mine, and the restaurant at Casa Del Mar is excellent, Money Bar, Freedom in Paradise, Sky Reef, and the list goes on. Do not miss Ernestos. Pepes, Wet Wendys and Woodys seem overrated to me.

Jamaica: 3 trips here. Run Away Bay, Ocho Rios, and Negril. If you go anywhere other than Negril, you wasted your money. I keep saying I hate All Inclusive, but Sandals and Beaches resorts are AWESOME. Sandals scuba op would not take the Mrs on any advanced diving sites wo an advanced card, so she took the class. Diving was EXCELLENT and included. We skied too. Boat MC PS 197, with incorrect 190 stickers. I let them know, they argued it was right and I said no no no.

Maui: 2 trips here. I have about 25 dives in Maui and it’s not nearly close to being enough. Ed Robinsons puts on a great day. I stayed @ The Outrigger the 1st time, and if you’re ok with $35 breakfast buffets, go for it. Otherwise, get a condo in Kihei and hot the safeway. I love Kihei – Charley Young beach is nice, but there are other gems all over. Maui Revealed book will be the best guide you can buy. Waters are chilly @ 77. Take 3/2 mil wetsuits. Go see Haleakala sunrise, Tedeschi winery, Road to Hana (and do not turn around). Old Lahaina Luau is nice, I would advise not sitting traditional – reserve early. Restaurants included: Coconuts, 808, Paia Fish Market, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Eskimo candy, Ulupalakua Ranch, Beach Bums, Freds (decent).

Providenciales: 1 trip here and I would go back tomorrow. The only way to do this is all inclusive at Club Med, unless you are a millionaire. Beaches is the only other AI and it is PRICEY. Venture off to eat off the resort and you’ll pay $95 for 2 appetizers and 4 drinks. Seriously. Scuba was world class, but a 45 min boat rode each way, so it takes all day. Flamingo Divers is awesome. The Thursday night fish fry was fun, do not get drunk and keep an eye on your wallet and pockets. Beach might be better than Grand Cayman.

Punta Cana: 1 trip there, went All Inclusive. You need to here bc it’s like Jamaica – unsafe to venture out. Beautiful beach, beginner level scuba. Lots of activities – parasailing, wave runners, scuba. I hate all inclusives.

Roatan: 1 trip there. I LOVED Anthony’s Key resort. All inclusive (no alcohol) and no buffet – made to order. 2for1 happy hours daily. Scuba operator is HUGE and very well done. Scuba is as advanced as you want it to be. They also had a BOGO when we went – it was CHEAP!!!

Above all else – I ask that people not patronize shark diving or dolphin swim programs. Experience them in the wild or not at all.

Last edited by slalomjunkie; 07-25-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197 TT
Good morning all. Thanks so much for the help. You have all been amazing! I have a bit of research to do now to decide where to go. Slalom Junkie you have outdone your self!!! My wife barely laughs at the jokes but you have her attention now! Thanks for every effort. Will let you know the outcome.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
I can tell you this:

I went to the Hard Rock in Riviera Maya in April of 2015. The resort was nice. Outside the resort is garbage. The food was not very good, the beer, Light or Dark Modelo only was always around 50 degrees or so. The rum was most definitely watered down. The tequila tasted funny. I ate the most at breakfast because that was the best food. Dinner's took 90 minutes after ordering to get. (I got up from our group of 12 table twice and walked out) I'm not waiting 90 minutes for mediocre food folks. Saw heavily armed troops all the way down and back that was not reassuring. Would I go back there? No effing way in hell. Would I try Cancun based on others here? Yes.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197 TT
Update: We have booked the first week of October at Isla Mujeres. A long story why we decided here but will let you know how we get on. Thanks again for all help and suggestions!
Edit: will spend another week in Houston if it is ok by then!

Last edited by MCKiwi; 08-29-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Moe info
Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKiwi View Post
Update: We have booked the first week of October at Isla Mujeres. A long story why we decided here but will let you know how we get on. Thanks again for all help and suggestions!
I would go back in a hurry and have many friends who have loved it. Enjoy!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Vacation help please

What's everyone's opinion on playa del carmen. We stayed at a time share several years ago and ended up driving to playa del carmen almost every night. 5th avenue was fun and felt safe. We're going back for our 20th anniversary. We'll be there 9/30 to 10/4