Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-18-2018, 11:21 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Aspiring Owner
Transom Repair

New to the forum. Looks like a lot of great information shared & available. Looking at buying a used 2001 Xstar. From what I can tell, boat is in good shape, except for the damage at the swim platform mounting bracket as seen in the pictures. Current owner (for the last 2 years) says he has not had any issues with it & has run the boat as is. Curious to know how big of a deal this is & what can be done to make myself feel more comfortable in buying the boat (ie roughly how much to repair something like this &/or should I use it as is). The right side is in much better shape (although it still has a small area of damage). Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2018, 12:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
It will be an easy fix with resin (my preference) or MarineTex. If you decide to fix it, I'll tell you what I can recommend. Be glad to. That issue would not be a show stopper for me.

However look the boat over good. That is rough for a reason.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 08-18-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:19 PM
TT Newbie

Not sure what I'm doing incorrectly on the site. Briefly looked at a reply so that I respond later. Can't seem to find it now. Not sure if there is an online selection I can't find or if there is a way to recover the initial response. Either way - I think I go the gist of the message. Don't remember if it was you, waterlogged882, but if it was - thanks for the information & help!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:05 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I have never seen rust on a swin platform bracket.. most factory screws i have seen were flat flush screws

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2018, 10:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
I wonder if thatís an aftermarket bracket. I thought all brackets from that era were black. Also mounting looks different. I had 03 x2 (same boat) and it did not have the stick out in the gel like that. My transom was flat I think.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
There's a metal (I though Aluminium, but perhaps Steel) plate embedded in the fiberglass that provides the mechanical support for the bracket. It looks to me like, for some reason, the fiberglass has cracked around the bolt holes, letting water in to rust the plate. It could be a factory defect - insufficient fiberglass laid up over the plate - or it could be mechanical damage (backed the trailer+boat into a brick wall which cracked the gel/fiberglass). In either case, IMHO, it's ugly but won't be cause a problem for a few years. Eventually, you're gonna have to grind out the plate, install a new one, fiberglass and gelcoat over it. I've got no idea what that would cost.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:58 PM
TT Newbie

Wow - Great information! Really appreciate the help!

Looked at the picture of the other side of the swim platform (without damage). Those screws/bolts (not sure which) were flush, but on the side of damage were round heads. So it appears the prior owner did some work on it. I would guess they either backed the boat into a dock or tree while trailering since the damage is pretty much only on the left hand side.

We weren't sure if it was rust or stains from water seepage. If the prior owner hit the back that hard, maybe the platform & brackets were damaged to the extent they had to be replaced.

Was talking with a buddy with a lot of boat knowledge & he wasn't sure of the transom construction - he wondered if there was any wood in a 2001 Mastercraft Xstar hull & transom. If that's the case he mentioned to beware since water leaking through those cracks would have likely wicked into the entire transom which would be a major deal. Was going to have the seller send me a picture of the inside where this damage is located (he's a few hours away & we didn't look when we inspected/drove the boat). If you can verify no wood that would calm my nerves quite a bit.

So I think the next thing I'll do is ask for pictures on the inside of the boat opposite the damage. And ask if he can remove the platform & send pictures of the mounts to see if there is anything else to show the extent of the damage. I'll post those pictures when I get them. But it does sound like from your prior comments that this isn't a showstopper, except for the cost of fixing it.

Thanks again for all your guidance & help!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxnoclue View Post
Wow - Great information! Really appreciate the help!

Looked at the picture of the other side of the swim platform (without damage). Those screws/bolts (not sure which) were flush, but on the side of damage were round heads. So it appears the prior owner did some work on it. I would guess they either backed the boat into a dock or tree while trailering since the damage is pretty much only on the left hand side.

We weren't sure if it was rust or stains from water seepage. If the prior owner hit the back that hard, maybe the platform & brackets were damaged to the extent they had to be replaced.

Was talking with a buddy with a lot of boat knowledge & he wasn't sure of the transom construction - he wondered if there was any wood in a 2001 Mastercraft Xstar hull & transom. If that's the case he mentioned to beware since water leaking through those cracks would have likely wicked into the entire transom which would be a major deal. Was going to have the seller send me a picture of the inside where this damage is located (he's a few hours away & we didn't look when we inspected/drove the boat). If you can verify no wood that would calm my nerves quite a bit.

So I think the next thing I'll do is ask for pictures on the inside of the boat opposite the damage. And ask if he can remove the platform & send pictures of the mounts to see if there is anything else to show the extent of the damage. I'll post those pictures when I get them. But it does sound like from your prior comments that this isn't a showstopper, except for the cost of fixing it.

Thanks again for all your guidance & help!
It is what it is when looking to buy.

Best bet it so figure an allowance (adjustment) in the price to your satisfaction and make the offer. He / she may not know anymore than you at this point about the condition. Best bet is to make an offer and be willing to go in and do a repair to your satisfaction.

It isn't hard to do once you educate yourself on what needs doing and how to go about it. The willingness to do it is 75% the better.

Looks to me like a fat boy or two has been on there too many times. Backing into something may have done more damage to the gel than just that. The stress cracks wouldn't bother me much.

The degree of repair is the issue. I am not familiar with that year's floor configuration. It may be that the brackets are above the floor or below the floor (as are the ones on my 93).
You may have to cut a hand-hole for working below the floor but that is not hard. Cut away and pull out a small section about 6" x 6" or so. You'll just have to be the judge depending on the configuration.

Fast forward; dig out the old plate from the inside and clean up the area. Add epoxy resin filler from the inside with a new aluminum backing plate and pack the original bolt holes with epoxy (thickened with silica). Let it cure. Re-drill the holes and put thru-bolts into the transom. I have done this very thing on older boats with loosened lag screws.

Wood in the transom? You bet. In lieu of wood there may be another material but there is a reinforcement piece in there under a layer of cloth. Look for the outline of it from the inside. Check the cross section of the bracket area (if and when you strip it down) and you can tell if the material is deteriorated or not. Even if you have to replace that piece, it is as easy as cutting out the old from the inside (gel coat intact), laying in a new piece and putting cloth and resin over it. Let it cure. Done deal.

I could go on and on but you may not even buy the boat. These repairs are not a major issue, just a little time to read and learn then jump in and do it. Most of this repair will be done from the inside.

If the price if right, go for it. If not, wait it out. Several more boats will surface between now and next boating season.

Closed cooling usually means salt use. Your call and decision on the boat. I personally stay away from salt boats, regardless of the price or condition, but each to their own. That is why the rusted corrosion is seeping out. Same thing going on inside the engine aside from the closed cooling flow.

Where is the boat located?

Pass on it.

Best luck

Last edited by waterlogged882; 08-19-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
I thought Mastercraft hasnít used wood in their boats since the 90s.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:10 PM
TT Newbie

Wow. Again - great advice. Really appreciate your guidance. It's in Virginia & has not been in saltwater for at least 2 years by this owner, who I believe. It was in Georgia prior. Not sure where. Current owner didnt think it had been in salt water but wasn't sure. Your observations are very interesting!

Tags
swim platform, transom