Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
PINK spots (vinyl) mystery solved

Good read.

http://sewlong.com/article/pink-stai...for-the-moment

Pink Stain Is Here To Stay.. For The Moment.

Over the past 4-5 years the issue with vinyl in boats getting pink stain has really left lots of people scratching their heads. Many Upholstery shops have lost lots of money warranteeing the issue to just have it come back again a year later. We have been searching for an answer and never really felt we ever got a good answer until just recently at the MFA’s Marine Fabricators Conference 2016.

We have always known it was some kind of mold, mildew or some kind of microbial because when people go to lake powell for the week it slowly lightens up or disappears completely only to return as soon as they put their boat away. We have had people tell us it was the cover, the foam, the thread, dirt, food, and the vinyl. As the years went on and we saw the issue more and more, we started to really get our own understanding of what we thought it was. We ruled out the cover, because it was happening with all different types of cover material. Same went with foam, we would see it one different foams and even in some cases, like a big sun deck, one pc of vinyl would have the pinking and not the one it's sewn to on the same pc of foam.

We started to feel that something has been taken out of the vinyl product that was allowing this to happen. And our suppositions were confirmed by Jim Cowan of Premier Performance Interiors, who deals with OEM upholstery for many manufactures. A few years back the vinyl manufactures were told that they had to stop using arsenic in the production of upholstery vinyls and they had till 2015 to comply. As it turns out some manufacturers complied sooner than others leading us to today with all of them in compliance and with no more arsenic in the vinyl. So, our kids will live longer but our vinyl will pink.

The microbial that is causing the pink dye has always been there but the arsenic has prevented it from getting to the surface of the vinyl. When the pink dye reaches the surface it is there, for ever. That is why it is much more noticeable on lighter colors, darker colors hide the pinking much better. The question is who wants dark vinyl at Lake Powell, not me.

What can be done? How to prevent? We will try to answer those questions soon enough in another post.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Barefoot 200, 1995, 225 VMax
Thanks for the update! i have it on a recent re upholstered boat. My driver seat, spotter seat etc. I was planning on getting it re done in 2 years. Keep us posted on any updates on how to prevent etc..

https://www.facebook.com/morrisonlakeskiclub/?fref=tsFacebook
Old 04-14-2016, 01:21 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Sweet. Good to know my boats loaded with arsenic. I'm pro arsenic.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Sweet. Good to know my boats loaded with arsenic. I'm pro arsenic.
And I thought it was my wife trying to kill me slowly over time. It has been my boat all along!
Old 04-14-2016, 02:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
+1 to the justification to the wife why I need to have Viper redo the interior next winter. Sorry babe, gotta get rid of the arsenic.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
Wow, I hope there is a resolution soon. I want to start having mine re-upholstered soon but I certainly don't want pink.....
Old 04-21-2016, 04:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25 w Gen2
I have a '13 X25 and one of my seats has the pink streaks on it. Has anyone figured out a way to clean this?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
the minimal amount of arsenic wouldn't cause issues anywhere.. if so every one who had been on their boat for many hours would have a higher rate of cancer.. or other problems, which is not the case... the zero tolerance to everything bad makes other things bad.. everything in moderation!!! to bad but I bet they can come up with something like the paint industry did for mold in the paint.. of course it isn't probably any better for you..

If they wouldn't have removed DDT we wouldn't have to worry about all the bee's dying... Oh well we have the new bug killer that is 10 times worse than DDT... the safest bug toxin for people ever created... even those that banned it back in the Carter administration are admitting it was the wrong thing to do...
Old 04-21-2016, 10:14 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
the minimal amount of arsenic wouldn't cause issues anywhere.. if so every one who had been on their boat for many hours would have a higher rate of cancer.. or other problems, which is not the case... the zero tolerance to everything bad makes other things bad.. everything in moderation!!! to bad but I bet they can come up with something like the paint industry did for mold in the paint.. of course it isn't probably any better for you..

If they wouldn't have removed DDT we wouldn't have to worry about all the bee's dying... Oh well we have the new bug killer that is 10 times worse than DDT... the safest bug toxin for people ever created... even those that banned it back in the Carter administration are admitting it was the wrong thing to do...

Nobody ever said politicians were smart........

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/v...ry.asp?id=1259

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Maybe they will figure out something to add like they add to paint that is supposed to kill off mold and mildew? now I might have to wait a bit longer for new vinyl...

great link!