Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-27-2014, 04:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 BF200 yamaha Pro V 200
So new prop arrived today. So off with the old and one with the new to me 19 inch pitch. Found out why it launches out of the hole 13.75 by 17 inch prop.

As for the new prop it slipped straight onto the shaft. Just need to purchase a mercury front washer and it should be back together. looking forward to seeing the difference in performance and ride trim. Coated the prop shaft in never seize copper impregnated grease. This thing is so easy to work on.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

So I finally got to test the new propeller today. I went back to the original prop and took the crew for their ski runs. then took the 17 prop off and put the 19 so I had a back to back reference. The 19 Is unreal. pulls 2 people out of the deep and it reduced my ski revs by 900 revs!!!!!!!! I was skiing at 4900 (50mph) with the 17 inch pitch I put the 19 inch on and it came down to 4000 rpms. The boat trims so much easier and runs a lot smoother. I took a mate of mine and my finacee for a ski together. Now by themselves they skied at around 4100 rpms with the 17. I put the 19 on and took the pair together and their engine rpms came to 3800 with 2 people skiing. with the 17 the boat ran 59 mph at 6200 rpm. with me and a mate in it roughly 220 kgs of human weight. changed the prop 19 and ran it again and got 64mph at 5900 rpm. Would I recommend the 19 bloody oath. fantastic allround performance propeller for our style of boats. Over the easter weekend Ill be testing a 21 and 24 ( the 24 is a 4 blade).
Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

A quick update didnt get to test the 24 as it threw a blade on the original boat it was on. But I have today received a 23 3 blade stainless laser 2 by quicksilver. Ill do a hub converstion and post up some photos. Im thinking It might be a bit big so may need to go back to a 21 which a mate of mine has. Ill post some photos when I get home. Cheers Jay
Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

as i said heres the photos. the propeller came with no hub so I had a spare flow torque in the ski locker. very easy to install. heres how the the hub looks once installed. IMO If you have a rubber bushed prop and are thinking it could do with having a new bush installed dont bother with the rubber one go to the flow torque one you wont be dissappointed with the results.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
A cotter key or wire through the shaft would be a good idea.......you would hate losing a prop.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
A cotter key or wire through the shaft would be a good idea.......you would hate losing a prop.
Its got the split pin back in it.Ive put a new one in it just did it after the photos were taken.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 mastercraft prostar 190
Just as in any boat, find out what your engines maximum allowed RPM is and prop the boat so when at wide open throttle you are at that RPM. The higher the pitch, the less RPM and more speed, lower pitch, more RPM, better hole shot, and pull, but you will lose speed, and can over rev the engine. My 140 evinrude will do 56 mph with a 13x19 stainless 3 blade, and will tach at 5600 RPM, which is exactly at the engines rated RPM. With a 13x17 pitch it will pull like a tractor, but will easily over rev if you are not careful, and naturally it loses over 10 mph. I used the 17 when I wanted to ski the course, and when I wanted to just play, and go fast, the 19 pitch. Same thing in regards to propping applies to our inboard water tractors. You may still have some speed left to recover with the proper pitch propeller.

Last edited by roadster02; 04-30-2014 at 09:12 PM.