Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-20-2018, 12:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X30
2006 X30 Heater Core

Hello,
Iím new to the site and happily discovered it after taking my (new to me) 2006 X30 out after purchasing it the day prior. Boat was winterized and de-winterized by a mechanic and ran well the week prior, per previous owner.
However, within 5 minís of leaving the dock my bilge was pumping out water by the gallons!! **yes the plug was in**
I searched everywhere and finally found this nice little grey box spewing water when the engine was running. After reading countless threads on Teamtalk I assume this is a cracked/damage heater core. I attempted to shut down the leak by cranking down the valve at the engine, didnít work. So I put the boat back on trailer and brought it home.
From what I read: quick fix is removing the hoses from the box and connecting them with a hose connector/coupling, secured with clamps. I canít get my boat into the dealer shop for 2-3 weeks (that time of year) so Iím looking for something to get me through Memorial weekend. Has anyone had experience with this fix and can affirm great success?
Last but not least, it seems that lots of people have fixed this problem on their own, with no really big troubles and few calls to Heatercraft . I may attempt to do the same, to avoid hi shop hourly fees. Any tips?

Thanks so much for anyoneís time. Look forward to years of fun and boat education here.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2018, 12:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Replacing the heater core is an easy DIY. Your description of the bypass method is accurate - simply disconnect both the supply and return hoses from the core and join them, bypassing the core until you can get it replaced.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X30
Thank you for the reply and confirmation!