Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-04-2017, 12:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
How to remove the driver's seat in 197?

I did a search and couldn't find any instructions nor pictures.
My front screws were really loose and barely got the seat to move up
so I could get a socket screw driver to tighten them. I believe theirs
a stop underneath too which makes it hard to get access.
[email protected]
Old 04-04-2017, 09:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197
It's kinda tough... over time the seat bottom deforms and makes it nearly impossible to get to the back rail screws which are driven in at an angle to clear the back of the seat anyway..

Get some spray lube or WD 40 and spray down the rails and work back and forth to make sure that you are all the way forward...

I had to use a small "Z" shaped craftsman screw driver (phillips on one end and flat on the other) to get the 2 back mounting base screws out. Yes it is a P.I.T.A... 1/4 turn at a time.

When you get those out then slide the seat all the way back and take out the front 2 screws.

Once you get the seat out you will probably notice that the plastic seat bottom has deformed a bit over time and that the back end of the seat rail has also deformed under the domed shape spacer washer. The rail will have to be straightened or replaced. Depending on how clean you can get the rollers you may want to replace. When putting back together do NOT use the dome shaped spacer on the back. Get some 1" outer diameter fender washers and stack them up for the correct spacing.. This will spread out the pressure on the rail and keep it from deforming as easily.

If you get the rear spacers right then you will be able to re-install the seat with a drill / driver.

Good luck!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:57 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 197, 2002
Just pulled my driver's seat. Hard to get the back screws out. Had to buy a LONG (14") #2 phillips screw driver so that I could get around the bulge in the back of the seat. Took a LOT of torque to get 'em loose! Could NOT do it w/ an electric driver. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
I do mine with an impact driver, a 6" extension. #2 bit is a bit small too

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 10-17-2017, 12:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 197, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoph68 View Post
It's kinda tough... over time the seat bottom deforms and makes it nearly impossible to get to the back rail screws which are driven in at an angle to clear the back of the seat anyway..

Get some spray lube or WD 40 and spray down the rails and work back and forth to make sure that you are all the way forward...

I had to use a small "Z" shaped craftsman screw driver (phillips on one end and flat on the other) to get the 2 back mounting base screws out. Yes it is a P.I.T.A... 1/4 turn at a time.

When you get those out then slide the seat all the way back and take out the front 2 screws.

Once you get the seat out you will probably notice that the plastic seat bottom has deformed a bit over time and that the back end of the seat rail has also deformed under the domed shape spacer washer. The rail will have to be straightened or replaced. Depending on how clean you can get the rollers you may want to replace. When putting back together do NOT use the dome shaped spacer on the back. Get some 1" outer diameter fender washers and stack them up for the correct spacing.. This will spread out the pressure on the rail and keep it from deforming as easily.

If you get the rear spacers right then you will be able to re-install the seat with a drill / driver.

Good luck!
Plus 1 on the above. I've had mine off countless times over the last 3 years. The only thing I'll add is that when you get the slides cleaned up and maybe repainted put some anti seize on the bearings and I added rubber washers between the gel base and the slides so water would not get trapped between them.

"America is about speed. Hot, Nasty, bad-a$$ speed"
-Eleanor Roosevelt