Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
Stinky bilge - how to defunk???

My bilge is FUNKY... it has a nasty smell which I'm guessing is a byproduct of water that's just been sitting somewhere for far too long. I don't recall this last winter but maybe I didn't pay attention.

Anyone have thoughts on removing the funky smell? Boat has been in heated/ dry garage for ~3 months so if it was going to dry out naturally it would have already....

My 1st thought was dump in a bunch of bleach to kill mold/ mildew growth but I know bleach/ chlorine is very caustic and don't want to harm any metal due to the chlorine fumes.

My suspicious is that moisture is trapped between the KGB bilge tank and bottom of the boat. Clearly not much airflow and perfect spot for some stagnant water to sit.

Thanks!!!!
Old 01-07-2018, 09:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
Couple times a year I dump a bottle of lavender scented cleaner I get from the dollar store. Dump it into the bilge. Product is made by the same folks who bring us Totally Awesome.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
Water gets trapped under rear tanks also. I take care to draw as much as I can out from under tanks manually each year before storage . If you pull the six screws and lift floor over the KGB tank there is access to the hull threw cut out in middle of tank. I probably get a litre of water out this way , then I leave the cover off for a few days until it looks dry.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike koen View Post
Water gets trapped under rear tanks also. I take care to draw as much as I can out from under tanks manually each year before storage . If you pull the six screws and lift floor over the KGB tank there is access to the hull threw cut out in middle of tank. I probably get a litre of water out this way , then I leave the cover off for a few days until it looks dry.
Good call Mike, I got lazy and didnít pull the floor over the KGB tank. That center hole is always holding water!
Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
you are right it is the moisture so figure out how to get some airflow in there to dry that out.

once you get that dry as far getting smells out of stuff I swear by this sucker

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP7388...515389972&sr=1

ozone generator
Old 01-09-2018, 11:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
if there is actual mold I would get the mold destroyer stuff from the big box stores.. it might be a caustic as bleach though have to read the directions... they also have some spray stuff that "keeps" the mold from forming in the first place...
Old 01-09-2018, 02:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'll typically throw cup of Super Clean along with 15 - 20 gallons of water in the bilge before pulling the boat back home to winterize. I let the natural motion of the water in the bilge while pulling it home clean the bilge out then pull the plug before. the last mile or so before pulling in to my driveway.

During the season I'll put a squirt of Dawn dish Soap a day before pulling the boat. Dawn will de-grease the bilge and help with odors.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I'll typically throw cup of Super Clean along with 15 - 20 gallons of water in the bilge before pulling the boat back home to winterize. I let the natural motion of the water in the bilge while pulling it home clean the bilge out then pull the plug before. the last mile or so before pulling in to my driveway.

During the season I'll put a squirt of Dawn dish Soap a day before pulling the boat. Dawn will de-grease the bilge and help with odors.
Good idea