Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-01-2017, 04:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Century MKII 1973 Ford 302
Carb guru's please help

I have a Holley 0-80320-1 on a 1973 Ford 302 Mercruiser 888 package. Stubborn to start without pumping the throttle, at times its firing as its turning over but doesn't want to start. When I can get it to run and warm up it runs pretty good but it has died at fast speeds on the lake. It does start right back up though. It also stalls when docking or trailering bumping it in and out of gear. The stalls act like starving or running out of fuel. The filter had trash in it from the tank so I replaced the tank, fuel line, filter and fuel pump. Before I spend the $450 on a new carb I wanted to get some feedback from guys that know these marine carbs and let me know i'm on the right track. Thanks fro reading and replies.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X20
Any chance the gas is bad?

I'd pm thatsmrmastercraft about rebuilding your carb. Your symptoms are wide ranging so I'd pony up for a rebuild so you can rule the entire carb out as the problem. Sounds like you could have a fuel delivery problem too from the way it dies at high speeds.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Century MKII 1973 Ford 302
[quote=TyTanium;1386973]Any chance the gas is bad?

I'd pm thatsmrmastercraft about rebuilding your carb. Your symptoms are wide ranging so I'd pony up for a rebuild so you can rule the entire carb out as the problem. Sounds like you could have a fuel delivery problem too from the way it dies at high speeds

New gas in the new poly tank. Im thinking about a new Holley preset carb over a rebuild. Iím told the carb has been built in the past and really want it reliable. When you say delivery problem what are you thinking?
Old 12-02-2017, 08:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Delivery Problem: something in the fuel delivery system is plugged up or malfunctioning. Fuel pickup clogged. leak in the fuel line on the suction side etc. There could be trash floating around in the carb. Is the tank vent functioning properly?

As for the starting problem take the flame arrestor off and are if the choke is fully closed in a cold start. Next check you voltage to you coil and distributor. If the voltages come back good then rebuild or replace the carb.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
The electric choke cap is probably worn out, and it sounds like your carb’s idle circuit is clogged up. Also, when a carb is ready for a rebuild, the gaskets can compress and create vacuum leaks further aggravating the problem.
I charge $289 for a rebuild using a genuine Holley marine rebuild kit, clean the carb with an ultrasonic cleaner, and return the carb with carb base and spacer gaskets. A new choke cap is an additional $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Starts & Stripes Powerslot, 92 Hydrodyne Comp
Are you still running points distributor or have you converted to EI? Reason asking is I wouldn't rule out your issue being electrical and not fuel. As you note its a 73 302, many older EI conversions get faulty after many years and generate problems just like you're describing, including sudden loss of power, feels like starving, idle issues, etc. If you're running a way old EI conversion I'd replace that for probably $75 or so first and see what happens. May well be fuel issue but I've been fooled before and read of others as well. Just a thought.....
Old 03-07-2018, 04:29 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDB1056 View Post
Are you still running points distributor or have you converted to EI? Reason asking is I wouldn't rule out your issue being electrical and not fuel. As you note its a 73 302, many older EI conversions get faulty after many years and generate problems just like you're describing, including sudden loss of power, feels like starving, idle issues, etc. If you're running a way old EI conversion I'd replace that for probably $75 or so first and see what happens. May well be fuel issue but I've been fooled before and read of others as well. Just a thought.....
Your thoughts were right on. I had rust in the tank and had to replace but issues continued. I had a lot of voltage drops so I have replaced a lot of wiring, changed the points to EI and new coil. I have no doubt now the problems have been electrical/ignition related. I'm commenting on this older thread because having read a lot of these looking for answers there are too many that do not give the final conclusion.

Tags
carb, carburetor, holley