Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-01-2016, 01:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25 w Gen2
Finally put in the #500 from LeadWake. Wave looks even deeper and longer, plus good when just few people in the boat.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
(Shocked face!) I didn't think anything was needed other than stock for an X23??
*sarcasm
Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, x23, 2017, GDI 6000
I just bought a 2017 x23 with the GDI 6000 motor and I have to say I am disappointed at this time. I am going out again this weekend to tweak the speed and tabs. But with a boat at this price why do you have to do anything... I surfed this weekend with 2 guys in the boat and 2 kids, all in the rear of the boat and there was little push. I just hope it is a change in factory setting... Does anyone have the perfect set up for this boat in mellow mode (left and right)? Are people really adding 1100lbs of ballast and need 6 people in the boat to get the right wave...?
Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT22 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyhannah View Post
I just bought a 2017 x23 with the GDI 6000 motor and I have to say I am disappointed at this time. I am going out again this weekend to tweak the speed and tabs. But with a boat at this price why do you have to do anything... I surfed this weekend with 2 guys in the boat and 2 kids, all in the rear of the boat and there was little push. I just hope it is a change in factory setting... Does anyone have the perfect set up for this boat in mellow mode (left and right)? Are people really adding 1100lbs of ballast and need 6 people in the boat to get the right wave...?
Are you in water greater than 12' of depth? Push disappears if you are in too shallow of water.

I am pretty sure there is no magic to the setup out of the box. I imagine the default surf profiles will put out a decent wave, all the discussion here is about enhancing it. The profile would look like 100% full on all tanks, opposite tab deployed 100%, and maybe center tab 10% or so for length. Speed somewhere around 11 (adjusted for current if you are on a river).
Old 08-02-2016, 12:17 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Quote:
100% stock x23s with proper tab and speed settings are more than enough.. Unless your a really big guy on a tiny board. I weigh 200 and have zero problem running into the back of the boat on just about any board.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:

I have a 2015 X23 with 150 hrs and have never felt this away about the wave. I have not added any additional weight. This boat is stupid simple to setup and is perfect from the factory.

Water depth is key on the X23 as you need to be in 12ft and deeper water for the best wave. As for weight, keep all the people in the boat in the cockpit instead of the rear as this boat likes weight in the middle.

Also, I prefer the surf steep settings as they always make the wave so much better. The mellow isn't a fun wave and the push in the steep wave is awesome.

What are the stock settings you have?

Here is my boat with all stock ballast.

Surf Left Steep setting

Surf Right Steep Setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2016, 05:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X23 6.0
Ballast "meters" were wrong!

It's been a long time since I posted this. I've since come up with one shocking resolution, then some tweaking:

Be sure your bags are filling! The wave was quite poor for the first year or so I owned the X23. I could surf it, but had to work really hard. I always trusted the "100%" reading on the ballast meters on the screen. Bad choice. Check the bags in the back. As it turns out, ballast fill settings were wrong and my rear bags were empty. Those 100% readings are purely based on a percentage of time that it's supposed to take to fill. My bow and stern tanks were all set to 6 minutes fill, 6:15 drain (or was it 6:30?), which was incorrect. 6-ish should be fine for the bow, but the Factory advised me to adjust the stern tanks to 8 minute fill, 8:15 drain (8:30? I can't remember). That got them filling *more* but not enough. I still have to use the ballast fill overrides to get the stern bags to fill, usually adding about another minute on the port side, about another 3-4 on the starboard side. It's odd that one takes so much longer than the other. Listening for each to overflow has become my ritual, or lifting the seats and seeing how full the bags are (why didn't I ever do this before? Too stoked to get out and surf I guess)

That made a huge difference. I had purchased a ballast bag, but didn't really need it so much once I learned how to override the under-filling issue. I am back on track to believing the boat is awesome right out of the box. I use the bag only when it's just 1 or 2 of us aboard when surfing.

The Sumo Max 650 lb bag fits pretty well horizontally between the seats under the tower, but the one I got separated at the weld between one of the bottom drain plugs and the bag. Sumo replaced the bag for me. The accompanying Sumo Max pump fills the bag really fast.

I haven't played with the positioning of the bag much aside from under the tower and further back. If I put it too far back, the 6.0 struggles a bit getting up to surf speed if there are several people in the boat, but it gets there. I have not repropped and have no plan to.

From a wakesurf perspective, I am super stoked on the stock X23 now that I can get the tanks full. I'll dive deeper into why some are filling more slowly now that the season is fading.

I also totally agree that you need depth for the wave to work. I aim for 14ft+, but have been getting away with it at 10-12ft, though it's sometimes compromised. I go through one spot in an inlet near me that drops to 4ft and the wave just disappears. ...and the regular-foot (Surf Left) seems to be better than the goofy side.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:02 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 05 SV230 6.2L
It will take some time to adjust your profile settings as well. We filled all ballast and then set the tabs to zero and set the speed around 11.4. Then we just started adjusting the tabs until the wave cleaned up. You also have to take into account if there's any current as you'll need to speed up or down depending on how fast water is moving. Glad you figured out your ballast issue though. Free fixes are always the best.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 X23
I often surf with one or two people in the boat, no extra weight. i use the steep setting and bump the speed up to 11mph. My wife surfs on the mellow setting and lowers the speed to 11mph. Make sure your ballast tanks are full.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:09 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashburn1 View Post
Interested to see how extra Ballast does with the 6.0
Have you repropped or is it fine so far??
im curious as to this as well. I cant believe they sell the X23 with the 6.0L