Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 PM
BTV BTV is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 2007 X-2 MCX 350
Location: Texas
Posts: 95
MC Gravity Fill Ballast system?

A MC dealer told me that MC pays a fee to the company that invented the gravity fill ballast system (like MB uses) to have the right to use the system.

I have never seen a MB, but the gravity ballast system looks good to me. Maybe something new for 2013? Maybe the system on the new XStar? I would love to see it as an option on MC.

Anyone heard anything about this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Jim@BAWS's Avatar
[email protected] Jim@BAWS is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Location: Land O Lakes. FL
Posts: 5,123
?????? And whom gave you this info???

[email protected]
__________________
James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 14,518
I hope not. There is no way to pump water out while on the lake. Once you fill it you have to pull the boat out of the water to empty it. It sounds like a pretty poor design.
__________________
Tim

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Honkity Hank Honkity Hank is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Boat: Lyman 17' Runabout 1960 with 1960 Johnson 75hp, 2000 Pro Star 205
Location: Atlanta & Lake Oconee
Posts: 143
I think you can drain the tanks by opening the valve while underway, the low pressure zone sucks the water out. But why would they not have a pump to empty as well?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2011, 06:32 PM
sand2snow22's Avatar
sand2snow22 sand2snow22 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: Ri257
Location: p-town
Posts: 3,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I hope not. There is no way to pump water out while on the lake. Once you fill it you have to pull the boat out of the water to empty it. It sounds like a pretty poor design.
Wrong, MB system you just get out of the hole, open the gate and they empty. Fill in 60 seconds, empty in 60 seconds. Oh, but what about if the boat is dead. Unlike the PT, MB system has a manual override. So you can empty them while getting towed back to the dock and/or while putting your broke down boat on the trailer. How do you get the water out of your tanks/bags if your boat won't run and the batteries are dead?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 PM
BTV BTV is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 2007 X-2 MCX 350
Location: Texas
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
?????? And whom gave you this info???

[email protected]
Texas MasterCraft

They are a new MB dealer. In talking to them about MB system they said MC pays the fee.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 14,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22 View Post
Wrong, MB system you just get out of the hole, open the gate and they empty. Fill in 60 seconds, empty in 60 seconds. Oh, but what about if the boat is dead. Unlike the PT, MB system has a manual override. So you can empty them while getting towed back to the dock and/or while putting your broke down boat on the trailer. How do you get the water out of your tanks/bags if your boat won't run and the batteries are dead?
You don't?

Pumps are fine. And I don't think you have very much control over how much you fill or trying to add more weight to the system. Seems counter productive to me. You can measure how much you let out or how much you let in... it's an all or nothing system from what I've read. Not a very diverse plan at any level.
__________________
Tim

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:18 PM
TallRedRider's Avatar
TallRedRider TallRedRider is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: Used to have 2006 X-45....
Location: St. George, Utah
Posts: 947
I have not seen a single complaint about MB's system anywhere on any message board. Honestly that is enough said.

Now roam the boards for ballast complaints and you will find #$&* everywhere. #1 warranty problem is most likely ballast related. For a dealer, the MB system is a dream.

Who wants half ballast? I don't think I have ever filled half ballast.

MC would be leading the pack to be the first of the big 3 to offer this. They would take some heat for not being 'innovative' but it would be a huge selling point.

As to the original poster saying MC pays for MB's system...What is he talking about?
__________________
Be excellent to one another.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 14,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRedRider View Post
I have not seen a single complaint about MB's system anywhere on any message board. Honestly that is enough said.

Now roam the boards for ballast complaints and you will find #$&* everywhere. #1 warranty problem is most likely ballast related. For a dealer, the MB system is a dream.

Who wants half ballast? I don't think I have ever filled half ballast.

MC would be leading the pack to be the first of the big 3 to offer this. They would take some heat for not being 'innovative' but it would be a huge selling point.

As to the original poster saying MC pays for MB's system...What is he talking about?
I think there are issues with the design and software of MCs stuff. But really, pumps that are hard wired without timers and all that BS work just fine.

Yes, I do switch ballast and I do sometimes run half KGB and I do sometimes fill starboard half way to offset fuel.

There are a ton of reasons to move fill and change ballast settings while on the water.
__________________
Tim

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Thrall's Avatar
Thrall Thrall is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 4,614
I agree w/ tall red as long as you could fill tanks individually. I never fill the little MC tanks half way, maybe if they were big tanks that held more.
The only downside is if you have to unload ballast if you're out of commission. If batteries are dead, you're not getting the water out with either system. If the engine is down, you can still empty with pumps.
So you make a gravity system that has a port in the top that you can throw a ballast pump or a bilge pump into to empty if you're broke down. Simple, just a plate with a gasket or a hose connection with a hose into the tank and a cap on it.
Personally if my MC batteries died resulting in a tow/trailer with factory ballast it wouldn't be a huge deal. What does it hold? 800-1000lbs?
If one of the big gravity systems was stuck full 2000-2500lbs that would be an issue. Simple to solve though like above.
And if you're getting a tow, you can likely get 12V to your boat from the tow boat to empty out.
__________________
'06 X2 MCX

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.


2018