Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-07-2017, 07:34 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar 190 2000 5.7 310hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnaples View Post
Sorry to hear that you are not able to get up and running with positive results. I believe we discussed your issue at the end of last season and if I recall you were still listing to one side with the Wake-Shaper installed. I have done extensive testing with this same hull and found that the best setup was actually achieved with weighting the boat evenly and less weight in the bow. Then again, I am not a professional wake surfer by any means and my idea of an acceptable wave with may not even be comparable to what you are expecting. Lashburn spent quite a bit of time testing as well...maybe more than me? ;-).... I believe his setup was slightly different though.

There are so many factors that go into making a great wake...

Amount and position of ballast
Speed
Depth of Water
Board type
Rider's ability
Surf Side
Prop selection and rotation

Although we are all testing with the same hull and system, the end result might not be the same. I wouldn't give up on your Wake-Shaper just yet
afternoon are you still making these we have a 2007 X15 what would be the best unit to buy
Old 06-07-2017, 10:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by philt90 View Post
afternoon are you still making these we have a 2007 X15 what would be the best unit to buy
Did you try contacting him via his website? (Look a couple of posts up.) He hasn't been active here for awhile it seems.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X2
Unhappy My experience with the Wake-Shaper 2.0

I'm not here to bash anyone I just want users to be aware of my experience with the Wake-Shaper.

I contacted Scott about 2 months ago wanting to know more about the Wake-Shaper as other suction cup shapers would not fit on the back of my boat. After talking with him he told me they specifically make the Wake-Shaper 2.0 for my exact boat (2008 Mastercraft X2)

I went ahead and ordered it for $550 and after I purchased it he said they were on back order and it would be a few weeks before shipment which he did give me a $50 dollar refund for. Once I received the Wake-Shaper 2.0 I simply put it together and tried to install it in between the platform and transom of my boat. It did not even come close to fitting in between the platform and transom and Scott told me that all X2's are built slightly differently and it would not work on my boat without completely lifting up the swim platform before installing the Wake-Shaper. Obviously this method would not work for me out on the water so I didn't even get to test the product.

I packaged the Wake-Shaper and sent it back and Scott who upon receiving it told me that since I had put the Wake-Shaper together and used the provided screws that there were some "marks" where I had screwed it together so the product now could only be used for "scrap metal."

He refunded me $450 so buyers beware that if you simply put his product together without even using it it will in his words "damage" the Wake-Shaper from where you have to screw in the separate pieces he sends you. I suppose in the end he could have said "all sales are final" and not refunded me anything so I am appreciative he gave me something back.

So here I am still looking for a wake shaper that will work on a 2008 Mastercraft X2.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 X2 350 MCX
I just ordered the bobv5 for our 08 X2, it fits on the lowest chine and holds really well. With the correct ballast setup it really helped our wave. I tried others and this is the only one that would fit this hull.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1202 View Post

So here I am still looking for a wake shaper that will work on a 2008 Mastercraft X2.
Sad story about your Wake Shaper experience but it needed to be told. Glad you got your money back on that "scrap metal" product that you could not use in your boat.

What you need a BoB V5 wake shaper as the suction cups are smaller dia than most and will fit your hull fine where other ones will not. I have one I'm not using as I have a Gen 2 system now, PM if interested. I have only used it 3 times and it worked great on X2 and X15's with the rear domed decals.

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190

Old 07-13-2017, 10:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2
We certainly do our best to make our customers happy and have developed a proven, patented, well engineered system. We reached out several times to see where the issues were with the fitment, but had very little feedback/ ability to help. The customer forgot to mention the a few key facts in his return as well. That was not the only damage to the Wake-Shaper as there was more deformation on the transom plate. The Wake-Shaper was also returned past the 30-day return period. Although we give our customers the benefit of doubt, we cannot honestly determine if the system was used or not. We do try to work with all of our customers and 99% of the time we get everyone up and running quickly and successfully.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsMC View Post
I just ordered the bobv5 for our 08 X2, it fits on the lowest chine and holds really well. With the correct ballast setup it really helped our wave. I tried others and this is the only one that would fit this hull.
Can you post a pic of where you attach it on the boat? I am probably not getting it low enough and I get a big spray of water that pours over the corner of the sundeck. Definitely helps the wave though.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X10 2016
thats a good answer. He got 500$ back from 550? Id be happy with that.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
They fit pretty tight between wooden swim platforms. Fits perfect between my fiberglass deck and transom. Didn't slide between my friends wooden one and transom. Had to relocate the wooden swim deck for it to work.