Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-02-2018, 03:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X30 LY6 6.0
Need help with LY6 starts and dies please!!!

Hello all,

Long time lurker and first time poster. This site has been pivotal for me in many ways so thank you all for the previous help! To my situation, I have an 2007 Mastercraft X30 with the LY6 6.0. Ran great for years, always up on maintenance and proper winterizing. Stays in a shop when not on the water. Last weekend, while on the river it died and won’t re-start. Starts and runs for a second and dies.

After getting it home sounded like the fuel pump, so I replaced it along with the filter. No change. Hot wired the kill switch thinking that might be bad- no change. Unplugged throttle and the darn thing runs. So I replaced the throttle body and MAP sensor this morning. Fingers crossed- still starts and dies. I am at a loss, don’t want to keep changing sensors to have it do the same thing. There was a couple other similar threads that had so end solution. I am located in Washington State and any help or insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks again,

Robert
[email protected]

Last edited by yz25067; 06-07-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:20 AM
TT Newbie

Can anyone help?
Old 06-07-2018, 11:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
pull the codes. Ideally run it hooked up to a computer and look at what the engine is being asked to do.

Additionally if this is throttle by wire search for threads on that and repairing the throttle control at the helm.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:02 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft, maristar, 1995
The same thing happened to my truck last year. It would start, run for a second, and die. Start, run for a second, and die. I replaced the mass air flow sensor and it fixed the problem.

You said you replaced the MAP, but Iím not sure if the MAP is the same thing as the MAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 04:12 PM
TT Newbie

That is correct, I replaced the MAP sensor. It is tbw. I invested in mefiburn.com software and pulled a 65610 FMI=2, 65618 FMI=7 and a 524287 FMI=31 code. Replaced the throttle body and no luck as mentioned before. The PPS registers 0% and 0v. That’s where I am looking next. Thank you all for the replies, any more thoughts please keep em coming!

Ribert
Old 06-08-2018, 06:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

You may want to talk to mefiburn if you have their software. According to the FSM the codes start at 13 for MEFI 5. I have only run the Rinda software and it lines up perfectly to the FSM.

What does PPS stand for?
Old 06-08-2018, 11:34 PM
TT Newbie

Hey Cumminscj, I have been in contact with Larry Engelbert and he has sent me over the code references. Definitely lines up with my codes. As far as PPS- pedal position sensor. On the back of the throttle lever is that sensor. Since it’s throttle by wire it has one. Just took it apart and cleaned off the connections and now it’s throwing a 65602 FMI 2 code. It’s gotta be a dang sensor but just don’t know which one,... still doing the same thing. Thank you all for the ideas! Keep em coming!
Old 06-09-2018, 08:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Basically since you have software you need to just start checking basics. So the pedal position sensor is reading 0% and zero voota but what should it read? If it was a tps sensor is should read 0% and 0.5volts. I would think the pps should be the same, but go through all the sensor values and check them with the key on, engine off, then check them again engine running. There is a really good set of instructions in the fsm to follow to eliminate variables one by one.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:17 PM
TT Newbie

Hey Y’all,

Just and update here, problem still not solved. So after replacing above mentioned parts, PPS and toning out wires from tps and PPS to ECM (everything checks out) I have sent the ECM off to bob at obd diagnostics. After replacing the PPS, calibrating it to voltage range and crossing fingers it still started and died. Indmar manual says replace/re-program ECM so hopefully bob can fix it if that is the issue. Really sucks cause weather here in Seattle is in the 80’s and a few lakes are calling! I will update everyone as soon as it is running again. Thank you all for the help and if there is anyone else out there with the same problem and has solved it please let me know. Also, anyone in the south King county area having issues with MEFI 5 boats I am willing to plug in my laptop and pull/clear the codes.

Robert
Old 06-17-2018, 11:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj4smith View Post
The same thing happened to my truck last year. It would start, run for a second, and die. Start, run for a second, and die. I replaced the mass air flow sensor and it fixed the problem.

You said you replaced the MAP, but I’m not sure if the MAP is the same thing as the MAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a note on MAP & MAF both measure air flow; however, MAP IS A CALCULATED AIR FLOW, MAF is Actual

So a motor with a MAP sensor uses the computer to calculate the air flow based on vacuum, throttle position, and air temp

YZ you said you replaced the throttle body ~ did you mean you replaced the throttle body position sensor?