Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-23-2018, 12:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft Prostar 190 351W
Velvet Drive Transmission Fluid

my new to me boat is just back from the shop, had some engine running issues that are being resolved but back to the current issue. first off, I leave this boat in a uncovered slip with a cover on it. the boat was sitting still in the slip around 24 hours. theres a decent amount of water in it which is fine, didn't see anything alarming.. just figured out I don't have an automatic bilge. anyway took off and drove the boat to a cove with nothing out of the ordinary happening. we sit for about 20 mins and I look inside the engine compartment and I see pink blobs floating around inside. so instantly I think transmission and we go back and load up. no slippage I don't think. checked the dipstick and theres nothing on it but a few bubbles near the top. siphoned the trans and this is what it looks like if the picture shows up.. what do I do next? sorry for the book.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2018, 05:37 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Change fluid ... check again.. change fluid again

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 07:58 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Change fluid ... check again.. change fluid again

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Update: With new fluid in the boat, took it to the lake. Transmission fluid is floating inside the boat again. I don't know what to do.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoulder View Post
Update: With new fluid in the boat, took it to the lake. Transmission fluid is floating inside the boat again. I don't know what to do.
(Mr. Obvious) You have a leak somewhere.
  • Transmission seal (front and/or rear) seal. Look on ebasic power dot com. Find your transmission make and model and look on their parts / assembly diagram(s) to see what you are looking for in the way of the seals. Pretty straight forward.
  • Hose or fitting leaking at the cooler
  • Cooler itself

Trial and error but look and see one at a time on the water.

Lift the engine cover and the center floor section out. Take it to the lake with another person driving and have a look at these points. Probably the best bet on the rear seal is to run it a little then put it on the trailer or float the boat and put a piece of cardboard or similar under the transmission and look for drips. If you have a wet bilge, take a shop rag and wipe under the rear of the transmission at the flange and also under the bell-housing where the transmission bolts on (a little harder to reach, but it's accessible).

You can check the cooler itself by removing and doing a low pressure test with soapy water or better yet, have a close look (and a wipe test with a shop rag) at the brazed fittings on the housing while running the boat on the water and look for a leak.

I will also mention (another obvious) don't over fill the transmission. They don't take much to fill to capacity.

My first guess is a rear seal (but how is water getting into the transmission...above photographs)?

Patience. Can only be one (or more) of a few things.

That siphoned fluid in your first post says water in the transmission. So another opinion of scenario is that water is getting in the transmission.

With these two issues, you may very well have a small hole in the cooler (a heat exchanger) and water is getting through the cooling passage to the internal fluid path. I hope that makes sense.

Is there water in the transmission fluid now (aside from the leak into the bilge)?

Last edited by waterlogged882; 06-24-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:39 PM
TT Newbie

After reading the forums and changing the fluid yesterday( 2 quarts is what I Put in) I thought I had it nailed down to too much water getting in the boat and flooding the tranny or the cooler is bad. I got to the lake today and was maybe on the water 3-4 mins. Checked it and everything still looked good. There was a storm blowing in so we took it to our slip and waited it out. When I got back in the boat I took the first pictures that Iíll attach. There the ones with water and tranny fluid everywhere obviously. At idle speed it doesnít feel like itís slipping at all. I donít know where to begin as Iím not a mechanic by any sort. The other pics are of it sitting in the driveway after coming back home and it being drained of course. Probably canít tell or see anything but thought Iíd attach them. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 10:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoulder View Post
........... I don’t know where to begin as I’m not a mechanic by any sort.
Did you read my post? That is where to begin. Not sure what else to tell you. I say a rear seal because of the amount of fluid that is escaping in a short time.

You do not have to be a mechanic to figure this out (well...maybe it helps a little ) but it's like anything else.....if there is a leak somewhere, you need to fix it.

Rear seal can be a challenge, front seal even more so. A transmission cooler...no big deal....hoses the same. Swap them out / plug-and-play.

Where to begin: as stated, find the source of the leak or at least eliminate some possibilities. I feel certain you can find the source from information gathered here as I stated (and others). Then the next step is to report back for further assessment and direction.

These old boats are not hard at all to figure out and work on. If you can operate an electric can opener, there is hope.

Most shops are booked in advance this time of year. Time to make hay with your sources here and otherwise.

"Too much water...." typically means you also have a shaft seal leaking. Fix that too. It's easy.

I think I see a gear reduction on the transmission which makes things a little more complicated but still the same assessment and approach to determining if the rear seal is leaking. To ask for confirmation; is your boat considered a powerslot (1.52:1 gear ratio....stamped on the red tag on the transmission)?

Old 06-24-2018, 10:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC 190 Pro Star

Check if this seal leaks.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2018, 11:02 PM
TT Newbie

Velvet Drive Transmission Fluid

Yes it reads 1:52:1, I appreciate all the help. Would it be okay to check for leaks with a plunger on? Or does it need to be moving on a lake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2018, 05:40 PM
MC Master Poster

That is the seal.

Needs to be the same ideal circumstances to recreate the issue again. It can't leak while it is apart with no fluid.

Yes, you have the Powerslot option (including the gear reduction).

The dip stick (plunger) could be a possible place for water intrusion, etc.

You are a very good mechanic!!!!

Last edited by waterlogged882; 06-25-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC 190 Pro Star
In my case the blower hose got in the prop shaft. The wire in the hose shredded my seal. At that time my silencers were leaking also. These two things together left also water in my transmission. So I would say take the engine cover and the plate behind and take a look at the back seal since you have some water in the hull.