Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Iphone cable

The cable I use to play MP3's from my iphone has died. I would like to get a longer cable to replace it so that I can hide the cable under the deck.

I can only find 6' marine cables with RCA inputs. Can a stereo shop custom make a longer cable?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmChzr View Post
The cable I use to play MP3's from my iphone has died. I would like to get a longer cable to replace it so that I can hide the cable under the deck.

I can only find 6' marine cables with RCA inputs. Can a stereo shop custom make a longer cable?
You want a cable with a stereo 1/8" plug on one end and a pair of RCA plugs on the other? Get an RCA cable and use female barrel connector to join them. You can go as far as you want, but I wouldn't go too far- the chance of picking up noise and losing signal makes length an issue.

If you can solder, you can make one in whatever length you want. Or, you can get a cable with 1/8" stereo plugs on both ends and add a 1/8"-stereo RCA adapter on the end that plugs into the stereo.

BTW- there's really no such thing as a 'marine cable'. They're marketed as that, but it's the same as any other cable. Gold plating doesn't make it any better than nickel plate.

Last edited by JimN; 08-14-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
You could also add a panel mounted 1/8 jack that connects to the stereo's rear RCA input, if you wanted a dash mounted spot to plug into like a lot of the newer decks have.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...reo.-Need-help
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maristardd View Post
You could also add a panel mounted 1/8 jack that connects to the stereo's rear RCA input, if you wanted a dash mounted spot to plug into like a lot of the newer decks have.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...reo.-Need-help
True, but the risk of getting it wet is still there.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
> wet

Yes, that's true.

My sony 'marine' unit has a rubber plug for the front 1/8 jack.
My waterproof iPhone case from Lifeproof has a screw in fitting that keeps the iPhone dry no matter what (plug for no headset and waterproof pass through plug with headset/headphone jack).

I'm honestly not sure if the issue of a jack getting wet is something shorting at that point and messing up stereo, or if the problem is as a water entry point for the rest of the stereo. If the latter, you could probably just make sure to have a small 'cable drip loop' before the cable gets to the stereo.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I think this is your solution. That site has 6', 12', and 25' extensions - take your choice. You can probably find them at Radio Shack also.

/frank
Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maristardd View Post
> wet

Yes, that's true.

My sony 'marine' unit has a rubber plug for the front 1/8 jack.
My waterproof iPhone case from Lifeproof has a screw in fitting that keeps the iPhone dry no matter what (plug for no headset and waterproof pass through plug with headset/headphone jack).

I'm honestly not sure if the issue of a jack getting wet is something shorting at that point and messing up stereo, or if the problem is as a water entry point for the rest of the stereo. If the latter, you could probably just make sure to have a small 'cable drip loop' before the cable gets to the stereo.
If the jack is on the face of the head unit, water can get into the face plate, which is where all lof the controls are- I can't see how that would be good. The covers for head units won't completely protect against this and if the head unit has an Aux jack on the rear, it would be better to use that. The manufacturers are now including the same kind of water-resistance ratings as security cameras and other electrical enclosures- they use IPxx designations for weather-resistant front only and a different one for front AND rear being weather-resistant. Standard head units are rarely the latter, with Fusion Electronics being the only exception I know of.

In a boat that's so close to the waterline as a ski/wake boat, I would either use inputs located at the rear or a fully-enclosed head unit. For those who want to use an iPod or iPhone and not worry about water, the Fusion Electronics units are great and they offer a wired remote connection that can accept up to two controllers. Completely sealed front and rear, the CD or DVD models can use the optional iPod dock and the new model (MS-IP700) not only has the slot for the iPod/iPhone, it also has a USB slot inside, so a thumb drive can be inserted to allow playing /wav files. In a larger boat that has multiple zones, this model can be controlled by the wired remotes or by using a wireless router and an iPad/iPhone (the app is $29).

This costs less than a lot of the better marine head units and has 4 zones of line out, all separately controllable and all having stereo out with sub out.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Thanks for the replies!

My head unit must have the jacks in the back because the cable runs through a hole in the glove box. I will try to find a picture and post it.

I have a tendency to close glove box and pinch cable so that I have easier access to phone from the driver's seat. If you look at the picture I posted in the initial thread, you will see white bifurcated cables with a yoke to a single white cable to plug into Iphone. That cable is what I would like to run under the deck/floor over to driver's console.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
This is what Mastercraft used in my boat by the driver for an aux input:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00144I3ZK

Then you would just need a male to female RCA the right length to get from the head unit over to the drivers seat.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
If you're going thru the trouble of hooking up a new ipod plug, if you're concerned about sound quality, I'd reccomend getting an actual ipod plug, not a speaker level plug in. You will have better sound quality out of the ipod and have the ability to charge while it's plugged in.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN