Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-18-2018, 09:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190
Water in fuel question

After being stuck out on the lake, found the fuel in the fuel/water separator filter in my 87 Prostar was mostly water. Marine mechanic telling me water leaking in through my canvas cover and gas cap as the O- ring is probably original. We have had severe amounts of rain this past summer including a tropical storm and hurricane Irma which dumped a lot of water on the boat, which is stored outside under a canvas cover. The cover was not treated and I have mildew on the underside so I guess this is not out of the question. I am having the fuel tank "polished", a process where the tank is flushed and the fuel inside separated from the water then carb needs flushing along with fuel line. New process to me. Anyone ever have water intrusion through the fuel filler cap or are there other ways it can get into the fuel line or tank?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborseal View Post
After being stuck out on the lake, found the fuel in the fuel/water separator filter in my 87 Prostar was mostly water. Marine mechanic telling me water leaking in through my canvas cover and gas cap as the O- ring is probably original. We have had severe amounts of rain this past summer including a tropical storm and hurricane Irma which dumped a lot of water on the boat, which is stored outside under a canvas cover. The cover was not treated and I have mildew on the underside so I guess this is not out of the question. I am having the fuel tank "polished", a process where the tank is flushed and the fuel inside separated from the water then carb needs flushing along with fuel line. New process to me. Anyone ever have water intrusion through the fuel filler cap or are there other ways it can get into the fuel line or tank?
Sounds complicated and like a mouse trap to me...

I'd take a pump (or a siphon made for this...Amazon) and pump out the fuel or even remove the fuel cell and empty it. Put in a few gallons of fresh fuel with a quart of isopropyl alcohol (to mix with any moisture in the carb) and run the engine. Carb should clean up on its own. Clean fuel cell, clean fuel, clean carb (as far as fuel is concerned).

Never heard of polishing a fuel cell in the context you have mentioned.

I have indeed (recently) had an aluminum fuel cell cleaned internally (maybe polished????) with a chemical soak/flush. Local radiator shop did it for me for $75.

Your fuel cell should be some sort of polyurethane / plastic and I could not imagine polishing the inside of that type of fuel cell. Maybe I have lived a sheltered life.

While you're there put in a new fuel level sending unit.

New fuel lines never hurt if those are OEM.

Water may or may not be leaking by the fuel filler cap but from what you describe that is a lot of leaking, however one never knows. The only other source I can think of is back flow of water (in some unlikely manner) through the vent opening/hose.

Clean it up, re-work your setup for storage and see what happens.

You can do all of this yourself for under $30 (for a pump) and a $2.00 bottle of drug-store rubbing alcohol. That little amount will not harm the gaskets or seals in the carb. Your labor charge is free....

$0.02

Old 01-19-2018, 11:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Xstar 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Sounds complicated and like a mouse trap to me...

I'd take a pump (or a siphon made for this...Amazon) and pump out the fuel or even remove the fuel cell and empty it. Put in a few gallons of fresh fuel with a quart of isopropyl alcohol (to mix with any moisture in the carb) and run the engine. Carb should clean up on its own. Clean fuel cell, clean fuel, clean carb (as far as fuel is concerned).

Never heard of polishing a fuel cell in the context you have mentioned.

I have indeed (recently) had an aluminum fuel cell cleaned internally (maybe polished????) with a chemical soak/flush. Local radiator shop did it for me for $75.

Your fuel cell should be some sort of polyurethane / plastic and I could not imagine polishing the inside of that type of fuel cell. Maybe I have lived a sheltered life.

While you're there put in a new fuel level sending unit.

New fuel lines never hurt if those are OEM.

Water may or may not be leaking by the fuel filler cap but from what you describe that is a lot of leaking, however one never knows. The only other source I can think of is back flow of water (in some unlikely manner) through the vent opening/hose.

Clean it up, re-work your setup for storage and see what happens.

You can do all of this yourself for under $30 (for a pump) and a $2.00 bottle of drug-store rubbing alcohol. That little amount will not harm the gaskets or seals in the carb. Your labor charge is free....

$0.02

great infos
Just subscribing..need to drain the tank..
Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
If it had that much water I would syphon as much as possible then pull the tank and pour out the rest. While the tank is out, spray a water hose over the gas cap and see if it leaks or not.

87 Prostar is not hard to get to the tank. Remove rear cover (back seat 1st if it is in there.)
Then it is just a couple of brackets / clamps if I recall.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
and I had an '86 and did as I mentioned.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
polishing? sounds expensive... are they pulling the tank?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190
Not pulling the tank but this process they call "polishing" is supposed to get into all corners and remove any particles under a certain micron size. Since I am not set up to do any work at home or even where it is stored, I am at their mercy, it's $250, but I supposedly get to keep my fuel after the water is removed. It will be interesting to watch the process tomorrow morning. Hoping this solves problems I have been having, and I have a new gas cap assembly with a new o ring. Will be running water over the filler to see if it has been leaking.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '96 PS190 LT1
I'd let them keep the gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
I had a friend who used a lot of ballast and had water enter through the vents. Got enough water in the tank that the boat wouldn't run.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Happened to me once a couple of years ago. Was out on the lake and the motor started acting strangely...mostly hesitation coming out of the hole. Pulled the fuel filters and found water mixed in with the gas. Upon further investigation, I noticed that the large O ring on the back side of the gas cap was fragmented in several areas and about to break completely. Obviously I replaced it.

As far as the gas tank was concerned, I removed the entire sump where the sender and pump pick up are. Pumped out all the gas, ran it through a water / fuel separator, and then into my truck. Let the tank dry completely. Took the opportunity to remove any sediment that had collected over the years before I re-installed the sump. Refilled the tank with fresh gas, and have had no issues ever since.

Remember that water sinks when mixed with gas, so if it intrudes into the tank, It will get picked up first.

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for