Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-19-2018, 05:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Stars and Stripes 1980
1981 S&S Refurb

Hi all,

From the facebook group, for my 30th my old man said we can refurbish the '81 S&S which is my favourite of our two boats. Because of kids, work, life we have neglected the '81 and just used the 88 for the past few years. We have even taken parts off the '81 to get the '88 working well.

Now its time for the '81 to get some love.

Things I would like to do:

Gel Coat: The gel has cracks on either side where the PO rammed it onto the trailer on the slip through the metal flake down to the fibre glass, luckily boat has been out of water for 7 years so nice and dry.
Plan: Take it to a carbon/fibreglass expert and have them repair the cracks, the metal flake is worn off in places so going to sand the whole boat down and respray the metal flake and the cream and black lines. We will then do 5 coats of clear. (Already bought decal set.) Any tips on how to get boat high enough to work on gel while on trailer, dont have a shop to hoist the entire boat.

Engine: Basically was working a treat when we last used her. The gearbox has some rust and the oil cooler pipes need to be replaced and new neutral thing. (Any tips how to strip the rust and repaint. Also: tips on spraying the Alu intake vs the steel block?

Interior: New carpet, in South Africa the marine carpet is basically old speaker carpet texture, not nice. Any specific specs we should ask for? I would like to modify the front for some cup holders and a little box to hold phones etc. Also going to re do the seats and add an internal ski rack as in the new PS.

Would like to do some internal lighting.

Re do the dials etc. any ideas on how to re do the backing of the dials?

Would like a bimini top, but one of the low ones.

The stringers are rotten near the engine mounts, but not the whole stringer. I am not sure how much energy my old man has to do a reno, not sure if can do full stringer install. Ideas?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Here is a pic of the boat, can see the external damage.

Old pic, I have lost about 25kg since then :P
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2018, 07:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Old 01-20-2018, 10:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptskier15 View Post
Hi all,

From the facebook group, for my 30th my old man said we can refurbish the '81 S&S which is my favourite of our two boats. Because of kids, work, life we have neglected the '81 and just used the 88 for the past few years. We have even taken parts off the '81 to get the '88 working well.

Now its time for the '81 to get some love.

Things I would like to do:

Gel Coat: The gel has cracks on either side where the PO rammed it onto the trailer on the slip through the metal flake down to the fibre glass, luckily boat has been out of water for 7 years so nice and dry.
Plan: Take it to a carbon/fibreglass expert and have them repair the cracks, the metal flake is worn off in places so going to sand the whole boat down and respray the metal flake and the cream and black lines. We will then do 5 coats of clear. (Already bought decal set.) Any tips on how to get boat high enough to work on gel while on trailer, dont have a shop to hoist the entire boat.

Set the boat off the trailer onto blocks or some sort of stantion(s). I have seen foam blocks, concrete masonry blocks with carpet laid on top, etc.... Set the shoring under the boat and walk the trailer right out from under it.

You can also temporarily lift from any overhead station that will hold a hoist and the boat. These things are not very heavy when lifting one end at a time. Use the bow lifting ring and/or the transom lifting eyes. Just don't hang it there for a long stay.

Engine: Basically was working great when we last used her. The gearbox has some rust and the oil cooler pipes need to be replaced and new neutral thing. (Any tips how to strip the rust and repaint. Also: tips on spraying the Alu intake vs the steel block?

The transmission (gearbox) is small when removed from the engine. Find a hand box sand blaster using nut shells and clean it up nicely. Even if your transmission has a gear reduction unit attached, it will fit in a hand box for blasting. Or find a local blaster and insist on nut shells as the blasting material. For painting, Al or steel, prime it and then paint it. If you will use an inexpensive/disposable air sprayer instead of paint in a can, the job will come out much much nicer looking.

The neutral safety switch can be found on the internet, specifically (for reference) at www.skidim.com

Interior: New carpet, in South Africa the marine carpet is basically old speaker carpet texture, not nice. Any specific specs we should ask for? I would like to modify the front for some cup holders and a little box to hold phones etc. Also going to re do the seats and add an internal ski rack as in the new PS.

I have made cupholders (copied from another guy here) to fit the tow bar (pylon). Nice design by him. Easy to make with common wakeboard tower clamps for mounting to the tow bar.

I use a common two-bay plastic holder for phones and remotes...internet available.

I like short pile 20 or 24 ounce weight marine grade carpet. Readily available in the US on internet access. If you are carpeting the entire boat, buy a 8-1/2' x 25' roll. You'll have extra but you'll find ways to use it.

Would like to do some internal lighting.

Any common 12v light. Common item on the internet. I mounted several under dash when I laid in new floor, kick panel, and extra storage. ==>Here<== are the lights I used (for reference).

Re do the dials etc. any ideas on how to re do the backing of the dials?

I found decals from a guy here in Texas USA that fit perfectly (and I mean perfectly) to refresh the dials of the older Airguides. Those and new glass from a chemistry lab type web site that fits perfectly. Those Airguides will look like new. I can get his email if you need it. US$10.00 each. Well worth it for the outcome.

Would like a bimini top, but one of the low ones.

A guy ==>here<== has a write-up of a bimini he put on his 92. Super nice job and low profile. Top notch install. He also has his cup holder that I copied, posted up (search his name).

The stringers are rotten near the engine mounts, but not the whole stringer. I am not sure how much energy my old man has to do a reno, not sure if can do full stringer install. Ideas?

Lift the engine, cut the floor and lay in all new stringers. That topic itself is an entire thread of its own, but it is not hard to do if you have the inclination to jump into it. I have several write-ups on stringers that I have done on another forum for reference. If you are wanting a good boat, you need good stringers regardless of how hard you may think it is. An easy job, just takes a little time, patience, and a lot of pre-planning, knowledge of particular steps before you execute, and prep. I or others here can help you there. A link to my site will give you an idea of what this entails.
Hope this may help a little . Hard to cover everything in one post. I'll be glad to share what little I know to assist where I can.
Attached Images

John 3:16-18

Last edited by waterlogged882; 01-21-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:20 PM
MC Master Poster

carpet - 24 ounce short cut pile in an 81 I did a few months back.

Rear seat and seat base I built. Also modified the rear-center floor piece to get the engine cover independent from the floor section.

dash decals. These were hard to get but I found a guy that cut them for me. Cost me dearly but I needed them.

When you put in new skins, put in seat heating pads. No better time and inexpensive to do. Do your own wiring after the upholsterer puts in the pads and leaves the pig tails hanging out. Driver and passenger - bottom and back for each person. Can be found on Amazon or flea-bay.....Easy peasy.

Attached Images

Last edited by waterlogged882; 01-21-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft, 1998 ProStar 205
You wouldn’t by chance have an extra wood grain MasterCraft dash decal you would sell?? I need one
Old 01-21-2018, 01:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkyredfoot View Post
You wouldn’t by chance have an extra wood grain MasterCraft dash decal you would sell?? I need one
I responded to your same request over six months ago with the same answer as today. Yes Sir I have a few. Be glad to assist.

I had to have a full sheet of 12 made to get the single that I needed. Sheet cost me $84. 84/12=$7 each. Be glad to pass it on to you for a break-even cost and the comradery of the exchange.

PM me a land location to send.

best
Old 01-22-2018, 03:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
I responded to your same request over six months ago with the same answer as today. Yes Sir I have a few. Be glad to assist.

I had to have a full sheet of 12 made to get the single that I needed. Sheet cost me $84. 84/12=$7 each. Be glad to pass it on to you for a break-even cost and the comradery of the exchange.

PM me a land location to send.

best

Sorry as life pops up and kids get sick etc Mastercraft moves down the list.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 Prostar 351
I would love one of those stickers as well if still available.
How do we arrange it?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would love one of those stickers as well if still available.
How do we arrange it?
Send me tomorrow night's USA Powerball Lottery winning numbers and I'll throw two your way for free, postage included....

Send me a private message here or an email (shown in my profile) and I'll hook you up. I needs your land location for an envelope.

Be glad to...