Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 07-24-2018, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 1995 275 hp
Next progression

So this year i have come a long way on the board. I bumped my speed up from 20 to 21 giving me much more consistent pop off of the wake while the boat is also holding that speed much better. I can now clear the wake heelside every time. and i can now even clear toeside every time as long as nothing goes horribly wrong. My heelside 180 is consistent, toeside 180 as well, and switch heelside 180. I have pretty much had to coach myself to this point as my family knows nothing about wakeboarding. I currently ride at the shortest length on my hyperlite line I believe it is 55 ft if not then 60. My question is what is the next step and am i ready for it? A heelside 360 or a tantrum or a backroll? Will my line length and speed allow for it? To me it feels like it will. I guess i am looking for a little coaching in the right direction as i have none on the water. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2018, 04:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X Star, 1993 Prostar 190, Pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebbroege View Post
So this year i have come a long way on the board. I bumped my speed up from 20 to 21 giving me much more consistent pop off of the wake while the boat is also holding that speed much better. I can now clear the wake heelside every time. and i can now even clear toeside every time as long as nothing goes horribly wrong. My heelside 180 is consistent, toeside 180 as well, and switch heelside 180. I have pretty much had to coach myself to this point as my family knows nothing about wakeboarding. I currently ride at the shortest length on my hyperlite line I believe it is 55 ft if not then 60. My question is what is the next step and am i ready for it? A heelside 360 or a tantrum or a backroll? Will my line length and speed allow for it? To me it feels like it will. I guess i am looking for a little coaching in the right direction as i have none on the water. Thanks in advance

You should be grabbing everything. You said you are going w2w toeside unless something goes wrong but said you are doing a toe 180. Is that Toe 180 w2w also?

As I tell everyone, ride switch and when you are tired of riding switch... ride switch some more. The same goes for toeside.

My son now thanks me for having him ride around our lake switch when he was little. He has struggled to learn inverts and 3's but being consistent and very technical with what he does put in his run (grabs, backside 180s and switch toe 180s) has landed him on the intermediate podium a number of times.

Which one is switch: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHitgxgA...nathan_dummitt

So, work on grabbing everything, work toeside and switch, ollie backside 180's help you learn the type of pull necessary to do 3's and they look cool. You can play around with them too like an Ollie back side 180 to a wrapped switch backside 180. https://www.instagram.com/p/BXOzhIVB...nathan_dummitt

Focus on the pop also. Tricks appear much easier and cleaner when the rider converts the energy to pop rather than speed. It appears to make the landings softer too.

Oh, by the way you can do inverts and 3's at your rope length and speed. In fact you can do them slower and shorter. some coaches really shorten the rope and slow the boat down to 15-16, and dump the ballast on the landing side to teach 1 wake inverts (backroll, ts back roll) and 3s.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddummitt View Post
The second one is switch. I think....he has nice form.

I agree with the rest of ddummitt's post. As long as your wave looks good at 16-18mph, there is no reason to learn going faster, it just makes it hurt more when you fall.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the input. About the speed, i cannot produce a good enough wake to go toeside unless i go a minimum of 20 mph. I only started getting toeside wake to wake consistently when my driver secretly sped the boat up to 20.5 or 21. It made a world of difference to the consistency of the wake and the consistency of the pull. I will continue to work on my switch 180s and surface 180s until i get confident which I honestly donít think will take me long. Then ill go for the 3. Reason i ask these things is because theres a guy i ride with occasionally that has a very consistent tantrum and toeside backroll but still hasnt done a 360 last i heard

Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
The thing that helped my toe side be more consistent was to treat your back arm as an extension of the rope. Keep the handle at your hip and focus on feeling the tension in your back shoulder. Also keep the handle at your hip through most of the jump and both hands on the handle.

Post some videos of your new trick attempts and let us give you some feedback on what to work on to improve.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2018, 11:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
The thing that helped my toe side be more consistent was to treat your back arm as an extension of the rope. Keep the handle at your hip and focus on feeling the tension in your back shoulder. Also keep the handle at your hip through most of the jump and both hands on the handle.

Post some videos of your new trick attempts and let us give you some feedback on what to work on to improve.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Will do thanks. I wont be out for a couple of weeks unfortunately due to county fair and state fair happening one after another