Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft X45 2008 LY6
bad weld?

Pulled the boat out after a day of running on the 4th, noticed I am now missing the small MC template cover that fit in the exhaust. Question to you guys would be does this serve any actual purpose or just to keep it looking nice? Thought it might be to reduce sound or to keep from water back-flowing in to the exhaust but judging from how it looks I am unsure. My OCD tells me to either find another plate and weld it in or take the other one out. What do you think?

Thanks,
James
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
It's to keep water from rushing back into the exhaust under a hard deceleration. I would replace it sooner than later.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Known issue with these exhaust tips. MC discontinued these and went back to a flapper design. Hard to find the tips and difficult to replace the failed ones due to the adhesive sealant used during the installation.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
I have the same issue. I bought new tips, but have never taken the time to put them on. They are the flapper style. I was told that it is cosmetic however and there are enough baffles in the mufflers from running the risk of water coming back in an up and over the manifolds.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

I did not only lose the little mc cover but the entire insert is missing. I have built a custom exhaust that hopefully functions better than this god awful design. The exhaust was not even bolted into the hull it was just screwed in, with hat much vibration you would have thought an engineer would have designed much better. I will post pictures of the build when I can, has anyone else done something similar? Extended tubes, put flap on, added a new insert to help cut noise. Going out tonight to see how it works and if it seems to help ill take the other side off before it breaks to. Only concern is heat if I machined something wrong
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X1
When I got my boat it had neither flapper. I decided to install this instead of replacing the tips:

Fresh air exhaust:

http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

I hope that helps.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

So the custom exhaust tip, baffle, and flap dad made seem to work really well. It cut down noise and did not over heat or anything. I imagine I will replace the other side this weekend, my OCD does not like things that are not symmetrical
Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
How hard was it getting the old one out and how did you do it? I heard it's pretty bad.

Pictures on the second procedure please!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

the first one was MIA after I took the boat out of the water so Ill let you know how the second one goes and make sure to document it