Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 12:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Question Snow skiing in Banff

I'm looking to organize a ski trip in Banff next Xmas - New Year's for 3 couples and a single. I believe most are novices - no one has ever been there. Looking for recommendations on lodging (hotel, house, lodge - nearby or ski in/out). I believe all gear will be rented - possibly a snowmobile trip in there too. I really don't know anything, I'm not a great planner - I prefer to wing it or just follow someone else's lead, but somehow I was appointed. Any suggestions?

2013 X-25

Last edited by onewheat; 03-01-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks
Old 02-22-2018, 01:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheat View Post
I'm looking to organize a ski trip in Bannf next Xmas - New Year's for 3 couples and a single. I believe most are novices - no one has ever been there. Looking for recommendations on lodging (hotel, house, lodge - nearby or ski in/out). I believe all gear will be rented - possibly a snowmobile trip in there too. I really don't know anything, I'm not a great planner - I prefer to wing it or just follow someone else's lead, but somehow I was appointed. Any suggestions?
yeah ... come to the lake for new years eve again
Old 02-22-2018, 01:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
We were probably going to blow out on the 30th so we could come to the Lake. How could we miss that?

2013 X-25
Old 02-22-2018, 02:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Banff is gorgeous, but it is not ski-in, ski-out to anything. You'll have to drive or bus every day to your choice of the local hills.

You'd have to go to hills further away from Calgary to get ski-in, ski-out. Have a look at Kicking Horse, Fernie, or Panorama and see if something there that interests you. AirBnB is a good place to start looking for accommodation.

We stayed in the town of Golden, near Kicking Horse, this past Christmas. The place we stayed was not ski-in/ ski-out, but we used it as a launching point for backcountry ski trips to Roger's Pass. Nice town, some good restaurants, but not really comparable to Banff if you're looking for 'ambiance'.

It was super cold this past Christmas. Hopefully you'll have better weather next year.
This picture was Christmas in Roger's pass, about an hour west of Golden.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25 Gen 2
Sunshine is "Ski In, Ski Out"- only because you actually stay on the Mountain. Would highly recommend it. Might break it up with Banff for a night, then Sunshine for a couple of nights, then Banff again before you depart. Once you're on Mtn, you can't really leave- they shut down the Gondola around 7p and you're stuck there overnight. But, the Lodge is really nice, the restaurant and bars are great and the people you meet super entertaining and friendly.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2017 X23
Banff - general tourism with access to skiing. Lots to see and do in town, good nightlife. Inside a national park so a snowmobile day would mean a trip to Golden.
Golden - Great hill for good skiers, not so much for beginners. Town isn't anything to write home about, mainly a destination for hardcore skiers & sledheads.
Revy - See above.
Fernie - Great hill for all skill levels, ski in-ski out accomodations, cool town, good sled terrain, could be either 3' of powder or raining at any given time though, so Xmas is a gamble for snow.
Kimberley - Would be my choice for your group. Ski in-ski-out, cool little town, sled tours available right near the ski hill, good terrain for beginners/novices with some fun stuff for more advanced fun. Can catch a flight from Calgary to Cranbrook to cut down on driving.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Stayed in a nice Air BNB in Banff last year and skied Lake Louise and Sunshine Village. Sunshine village had some lodging. I thought Lake Louise was better skiing tho.

Banff was a great town with a surprisingly international feel, and the mountains really are spectacularly beautiful.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 PS197
Ski Lake Louise. If you can, so it two days. It's too much to enjoy. For a beginner, maybe you could do it in one day. There's some more advanced stuff up top and on the back that I won't ever forget.
There's lots of nice hotels in Banff. Up the hill at the Banff Springs or the Rimrock things get a bit spendy, but there isn't much in town that's bad. I like the Ptarmagin and anything along main street.
Try Coyote's for lunch or dinner. We'll drive out from Calgary to eat there. It's small. Reservation or go early. There's some real nice walks along the river if you get the time.
Have fun.
J
Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Ya we usually go stay in banff and then shuttle to the hills. B2een there three times now i think. You can pick up a tri-pass which lets you ride at all three mountains. Thats what we usually do. If one hill is bombing or we find some stashes we'll go there again. But visiting 3 different mountains is good over 5 days.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X-star
Banff is pretty nice.

Couple of places i would recommend:

Both sunshine and louise are good ski hills. It seems like sunshine is closer to banff but you have to take a 20 mins gondola ride to the hil at sunshine so time wise they are the same distance.

The juniper bistro for dinner in banff. Restaurant of the beaten path. Great view.

The fox hotel - really cool hotel with a nice hottub underground grotto.

The banff springs fairmont is a Fancy hotel but the rooms are small unless you get a fancy room and the fancy rooms come with a fancy price. I always enjoy staying there.

Baker creek mountain resort. Located between sunshine and lake louise ski hill. Really nice log cabins located in the forest with nice fire places. You have a kitchen and bbq.

If driving through canmore, sage bistro is awesome for breakfast. They make banana bread french toast

As stated above, all the hotels in banff are good. Personnally i like staying closer to the south/middle part of banff as you are a right where all the shops and restaurants are.

Tags
banff, lodging, reccomendations, snow ski