Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 12:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
I always stick to AA and never have issues. I’m not a huge fan of the “sit anywhere” southwest thing, and it’s a mad dash for the line to get it. I’ve flown it once for work and won’t do it again. I travel for work at least once a month, and American is my go to. As far as carry ons go, I always bring my backpack and my small suitcase on with me. My rule is, if I have to check bags I won’t go lol.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
I was very loyal with AA for a number of years, had Platinum status 4-5 years in a row mainly traveling to the west coast but most of my travels now are NE USA and Delta gets my nod. When my wife and I travel, we typically price check but usually fly Southwest for a couple of reasons. #1 free checked baggage up to 2 bags each and #2 changing travel dates without penalties (due to 92 year old mother in law, never know when something might crop up where it will change our travel plans).

I too would drive an extra hour to a more major airport with more options of flights.

tell your wife that flying is much safer than driving these days ... and so much faster.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSkiing View Post
Use aa.com. Buy the main cabin ticket, not basic economy, and you will be able to pick your seat right away and bring a personal item and carry on bag. Get to the airport early so your wife can be relaxed before she gets on the plane, you don't want it to be rushed.
OP

THIS AND ONLY THIS.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25 Gen 2
We do that flight in reverse at least once a year (Denver to Western NC). Look at Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro or Spartanburg. Knoxville if you’re feeling frisky. It will be shorter to drive and fly direct then connect. More options on airlines from the bigger airports.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
I live in Huntsville, AL. Hsv Int’l Airport (don’t know how it gets international status, hard to imagine many international flights to/from here) is expensive. I usually drive two hours to Nashville or Chattanooga to fly, and usually use Southwest. There are rarely any direct flights from Hsv to where I want to go. A two leg flight from Hsv is equal travel time as driving to Nashville for a nonstop. And tickets are way cheaper out of Nashville. Also, plus one for google flights.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneSkiing View Post
Use aa.com. Buy the main cabin ticket, not basic economy, and you will be able to pick your seat right away and bring a personal item and carry on bag. Get to the airport early so your wife can be relaxed before she gets on the plane, you don't want it to be rushed.
I believe that my wife was looking at the basic economy seating that didn't allow a carry-on bag. I'll have more time to look at aa.com when I get off from work, and I'm also going to go by the airport on the way home and get more information about the seating arrangement. The biggest complaint I see on line about AA is not all of the seats show up as available because they are held for their elite customers and don't show up until 24hrs of check in if they didn't get booked. If you can book your seats when you book the flight, why are so many families complaining about not be able to sit together? Or is that just basic economy?

My Dad also said that the airlines have gone to crap since the last time he flew.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
I'm also going to go by the airport on the way home and get more information about the seating arrangement
Saving you some time and money

http://theflight.info/seat-map-of-th...ican-airlines/

Old 02-19-2018, 01:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
a lot of flights have "preferred seating" at an additional cost, typically have a few more inches of leg room. Part of the reason families can't set together is the flights are pushing over booked and only random seats are available. Another nice thing about Southwest, set a timer 24 hours and 5 minutes before your flight time and then check in exactly 24 hours before your flight (and your wife too) and you should get into the later portion of group A into group B. you and your wife board together and should be able to find seating together.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmile View Post
We do that flight in reverse at least once a year (Denver to Western NC). Look at Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro or Spartanburg. Knoxville if you’re feeling frisky. It will be shorter to drive and fly direct then connect. More options on airlines from the bigger airports.
I've done both the connect flight to Charlotte and the drive to Charlotte. Both are about the same to me, I'm just more concerned about the drive to Charlotte due to the idiots on the roads these days. I haven't traveled for work in over 5 years and I hate driving on the interstates. We haven't decided which route to take yet.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
a lot of flights have "preferred seating" at an additional cost, typically have a few more inches of leg room. Part of the reason families can't set together is the flights are pushing over booked and only random seats are available. Another nice thing about Southwest, set a timer 24 hours and 5 minutes before your flight time and then check in exactly 24 hours before your flight (and your wife too) and you should get into the later portion of group A into group B. you and your wife board together and should be able to find seating together.
Or just pay the extra $15 at the time you purchase the ticket to automatically assign you a number early, so you don't have to babysit the whole "24 hrs before" thing. I've missed/forgotten and I was in the back!

1994 205, LT1