Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 07:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 x10
Does anyone know where we stand with the mirror bill? The Foxconn deal and the budget have both been voted on and passed through the senate, now they are on to the assembly. I believe they are being voted on this Friday. I think the mirror law is still waiting to be voted on in the assembl as well.

We recently got a ticket for skiing without a spotter. It was $240 and I believe the next one is $800. Needless to say this has put a major crunch in my skiing. We need to get this bill to walker's desk!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:19 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Non-MC
Lake Geneva and Cindi Duchow (Delafield) successfully pushed to add an amendment to this bill to pull Walworth and Waukesha County out. Specifically, Wisconsin would be a mirror state except in those 2 counties. In those counties one could approach their local government and get the mirror allowed on a lake by lake basis. Obviously this was a disappointment to those affected, myself included. But, the impression was this was a needed change to obtain passage.

Since then there has been some discussion related to the precedent set by simply removing counties from a law. Many feel this is a bad pattern to start. There are discussions ongoing on whether or not some areas should be removed and how to potentially accomplish that. That said, this is a copy/paste from my post on Malibucrew (own an Axis, I'm more active there):
There has been concerned raised regarding the amendment. Between that, and the large items (budget, transportation, Foxconn) this has taken a bit of a back seat. Once the budget is passed, it will be easier to make progress. We are still on a fall timeline for a vote. My thought process at this point is that I am hopeful that 2018 will be the first season where the mirror is sufficient. The question that remains is what changes to the amendment will be made to obtain passage.

Please contact your local rep and request them to support this bill without amendments. The state cant pick and choose where to apply our laws on a local level.

Also, I definitely feel your pain on that ticket. I got one earlier this season. Got it cut to 140 by showing up to court. No discussion needed, they just offer it off the bat.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 x10
This appears to be the time of year that bills are becoming law here in the great state of Wisconsin. Please email as many legislators as possible in support of the bill. I emailed senator Tiffany this morning. Letís get this through!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:11 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdaoski View Post
and mine back today...

Good Afternoon Cindi, thanks for getting back to me.

I agree, ultimately, it should be the choice of the local municipality.

Today, we allow local municipalities to determine what is best for their lakes, above and beyond State boating laws.

For example, Golden Lake has a "no wake Noon-4pm" on weekends and holidays, as determined by the Town of Summit.

However, it did not originate with a State-wide Law, Banning wakes from Noon-4pm, that had to be amended by the local municipalities to allow Noon-4pm wakes. The municipalities around Pewaukee Lake, Nagawicka Lake, and Lake La Belle, etc, weren't forced to amendment a Noon-4pm State Law Ban on wakes.

It started with a State wide "no wake dusk to dawn" concept, that was applied universally across all Counties, and then local municipalities added, as they determined what was best for their lakes.

Similarly, I believe we should be starting with an open, State-wide acceptance of the mirror law. Then, local ordinances could pass a spotter requirement, as they deemed required.

This is much more in the spirit of allowing local municipalities to determine their needs, and much more empowering to the local taxpayers and users of the lakes.

In addition, I can't think of examples today, where State Laws place County by County limitations. It seems odd and troubling, that 70 out 72 counties would be able to support the mirror law, while 2 entire counties could not.

Why should a WI resident (or vacationer) in Waukesha County have State law Limitations placed upon them, that are different from State laws on a WI resident (or vacationer) in Fund du Lac County?

By placing limitations on 2 out of 72 counties, it seems to be counter to the belief that less government is good government.

To make it even more local, while I do not currently live on Beaver Lake, I have been looking at a house for sale on this lake. Because this lake does not have local access, the lake traffic is very light. It will now require more government action, to amend the law. What maybe deemed required for Pewaukee Lake, is driving the Waukesha county exception, and will be imposed on Beaver Lake, despite having different usage needs.

Lastly, as a reminder, the comparable MN/WI boating accidents, does not indicate spotters are safer than mirrors only; its actually the opposite. And nationally, the 17 states that allow mirror usage reported 3.8 towed accidents per 100,000 registered boats. Spotter states reported 6.3. This is a 40% increase of accidents in the "safer" states.

Thanks and regards-
Great response!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2017, 09:35 PM
TT Regular

I am hearing that good news is coming this week. We may see some Assembly movement!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x1
good news or great news?
Old 11-06-2017, 08:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_wi View Post
I am hearing that good news is coming this week. We may see some Assembly movement!
Let us know if you get details.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM
TT Regular

Should receive an Assembly vote on Thursday!
Old 11-07-2017, 12:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: x1
Quote:
Do you know if its with or without the Waukesha and Walworth county amendments?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Quote:
on_wi;
How do you know? Where do you go to see the progression and what is on the docket? I've spent time on the Wi Leg. website and (just like typical government) I can't make a lot of sense of it....