Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-14-2017, 02:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Indmar
Audible Alarm, Radio Turns Off

So intermittently at Idle in between pulls I have been getting an audible alarm with no check engine lite and my Stereo shuts off. The alarm does not turn off unless we shut the engine down and turn it back on... A few times yesterday the starter would not fire on the first key turn... but would take a couple to get it to initiate starting.

Here is what I've done to date:

• Checked the batteries, and put them on a Tender to assure they are charged.
  • Voltage is reading 13+V at Idle
  • Replaced the starter
  • Cleaned and checked the ground strap at the block, batteries, and battery switch

I plan on hunting down the grounds under the dash further, but all I've checked seems clean and normal.

Is the stereo indicative of a condition?

My Gauges have been replaced (analog Faria) because the medallion has generally showed incorrect values.

Anyone have this issue before?

Thanks in advance,
D2

Old 06-14-2017, 03:56 PM
TT Regular

Reading through the TROVES of posts about alarms, It looks like it may be a low voltage alarm (as the stereo is shut off when it occurs).

I'm going to bring the Batteries down to the auto parts store to have them load checked, and I have a new ignition switch on order. I'm hoping the ignition switch not clicking every time will be solved with a new switch as the connections seem fine.

-D2

Old 06-19-2017, 10:38 AM
TT Regular

Had the batteries tested, and they are both fine. I've got an alternator on order, and I'm starting to check all of the boat's grounds.

I'll let you know what I find out.

-D2

Old 06-19-2017, 12:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-30, Indmar MCX
Please keep us updated. I had this same signature on my 03 X-30 around the end of last season but it hasn't come back yet this season.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Check your oil pressure switch. You can just disconnect the wire to the sensor by the oil filter. If the alarm goes off then you found your problem. I chased a similar alarm in my xstar for 2 months before I found it.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:02 PM
TT Regular

Wouldn't the oil pressure switch illuminate the Check engine Light?

Also, Isn't the Stereo turning off indicative of a low voltage condition?

-D2

Old 06-20-2017, 08:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2 2010 Indmar MCX GEN2 LPG
for me, it sounds like dropping voltage due to the radio off.
I would check first the generator and voltage.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X-Star
My stereo turned off with the oil pressure alarm, I also got a check engine light with "trans" displayed. Maybe the previous owner unplugged the check engine light? There are a lot of threads on here about the low voltage alarm. You have to reset the code or allow for three full warm up and cool down cycles to allow it to clear.

I just offered up the oil pressure switch because it's 5 minutes worth of work to see if that is the culprit. Like I said I was lead on by the "trans" displayed with my alarm and spent a month going over the transmission system and grounds to no avail until I tried the oil pressure switch.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:48 PM
TT Regular

Quick update.
I got under the dash and focused on the ground bar first. I popped out the dremel, attached a wire brush bit, and polished the whole bus after removing all of the ring terminals. Some of the rings were salvageable, but most of them got removed and replaced with water tight fittings.

Next I moved back to the ground attachment at the near the top of the transmission to engine attachment, and gave it the same dremel treatment.

Lastly, I found any of the fittings that looked like they were spliced, or butt connected together and replaced them with new water tight connectors (with heat shrink).

First time out on the water i had an immediate low alarm while running both ballast kings. after turning on both batteries and restarting the engine, the alarm went away. 3 more sessions on the water without an alarm regardless of my activity.

I've got a replacement alternator, and tested both batteries (load tested at autozone) in case it surfaces again, but for the time being, it seems the gremlin has hidden elsewhere in the boat...

-D2

Old 06-28-2017, 11:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 x2
The radio drops to alert you to the alarm. So that you can't say you didn't hear it because you were jamming out.

Tags
alarm, stereo issues, voltage