Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Miss Rita's Avatar
Miss Rita Miss Rita is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Location: Black Hills
Posts: 1,360
dirty mooring cover

To clean my cover, I plan to pressure wash it while installed on the boat, in my driveway at home. (I have a $90 washer from Harbor Freight, it's not one of the diesel-powered commercial washers that has its own trailer.)

Once dry, I would apply some 303 protectant using a hand-held tank sprayer, also while installed on the boat.

There would be some overspray on the side of the hull, and spillage on the trailer and the driveway.

Can anyone think of a reason why this plan is a bad idea?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Canwan Canwan is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Boat: 2008 MC X2 MCX
Location: Canada
Posts: 138
If you have a cement floor in your garage or driveway I would recommend washing the floor first then do it on the cement.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2018, 12:18 PM
JohnnyB's Avatar
JohnnyB JohnnyB is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Location: Titletown
Posts: 3,821
I wash covers in a large capacity wash machine at a laundromat

Saw horses and 2x4s to spread it out for 303

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk
__________________
Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:54 AM
Miss Rita's Avatar
Miss Rita Miss Rita is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Location: Black Hills
Posts: 1,360
Update: since no one could give me a good reason to not clean the cover while in place on the boat, I cleaned it as described above. I used Starbrite waterproofing, not 303, and applied it with a sponge, not spray. It was not unlike washing a car or staining a deck. I used the sponge to saturate the cover, but not to the point of it running off, and needed less than a gallon.

It worked great. My cover, which has spent the last consecutive 2000 days outside, lost 50% of the fading, and water beads up and runs off, as expected. It feels a lot softer, and is more supple.

I could've gone to a local laundromat, but that would have been a two hour job vs 1/2 hour; it was just faster to do it in the driveway.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2018, 09:33 AM
Maristar210's Avatar
Maristar210 Maristar210 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: paddle
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
Update: since no one could give me a good reason to not clean the cover while in place on the boat, I cleaned it as described above. I used Starbrite waterproofing, not 303, and applied it with a sponge, not spray. It was not unlike washing a car or staining a deck. I used the sponge to saturate the cover, but not to the point of it running off, and needed less than a gallon.

It worked great. My cover, which has spent the last consecutive 2000 days outside, lost 50% of the fading, and water beads up and runs off, as expected. It feels a lot softer, and is more supple.

I could've gone to a local laundromat, but that would have been a two hour job vs 1/2 hour; it was just faster to do it in the driveway.
Glad it worked for you. There are limited females on this forum and we all know no woman ever took any advice from a man.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Miss Rita's Avatar
Miss Rita Miss Rita is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Location: Black Hills
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
There are limited females on this forum and we all know no woman ever took any advice from a man.
True.

Small correction: "Miss Rita" is the name of my wife's boat, a Ski Pro. I just use that handle to mess with people's minds.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Maristar210's Avatar
Maristar210 Maristar210 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: paddle
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
True.

Small correction: "Miss Rita" is the name of my wife's boat, a Ski Pro. I just use that handle to mess with people's minds.
Well it worked.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 AM.


2018