Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 05-05-2017, 07:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190 LT1 with PS
grease seal

I really am poor at searching this forum, seemed to get stumped up. Does anyone happen to know the proper grease seal for a 1997 mc ps190 single axel trailer. upon removal it was well, totally destroyed to my lack of practice. I believe when I measure the spindle I get something close to ID 1.69+/-? and OD 2.3 +/-? depth of current seal is 1/2" not quite sure of these dimensions as have a crummy caliper... I am sure it must be ufp because of the spindle ring? Anyways mine is destroyed beyond measuring and I am sure the other one will end with the same fate.I think the bearings look to be in perfect shape though. Anyways if anyone could help with any info on where and what to source, I would be very happy. Outside bearing is L44649 and inner is L68149 koyo.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4grip View Post
I really am poor at searching this forum, seemed to get stumped up. Does anyone happen to know the proper grease seal for a 1997 mc ps190 single axel trailer. upon removal it was well, totally destroyed to my lack of practice. I believe when I measure the spindle I get something close to ID 1.69+/-? and OD 2.3 +/-? depth of current seal is 1/2" not quite sure of these dimensions as have a crummy caliper... I am sure it must be ufp because of the spindle ring? Anyways mine is destroyed beyond measuring and I am sure the other one will end with the same fate.I think the bearings look to be in perfect shape though. Anyways if anyone could help with any info on where and what to source, I would be very happy. Outside bearing is L44649 and inner is L68149 koyo.
Look ==>here <==

Verify the proper kit. This gets you close.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:15 PM
TT Regular

That looks cheap enough, but being the newb I am with seals, how do I know for certain that is correct seal, not knowing the spindle I own? And is that seal compatable with the ufp skirt? By the way I did complete the thread insert you helped me on, thank you!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:40 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin4grip View Post
That looks cheap enough, but being the newb I am with seals, how do I know for certain that is correct seal, not knowing the spindle I own? And is that seal compatable with the ufp skirt? By the way I did complete the thread insert you helped me on, thank you!
I merely cross-referenced your part numbers to their kit. It will work.

Glad the thread insert worked for you. Glad to help...
Old 05-08-2017, 08:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, LT1
I think the seal you need is UFP 07027U, which is a 1.688" x 2.328" The 2.56" OD seal is going to be too big.
http://www.easternmarine.com/ufp-1-6...ase-seal-32372
or Waymires.net, but you have to call them.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Also, the seals are always destroyed during removal. That wasn't a lack of experience that did that, it's just the way it works.

However, you may destroy one during installation due to a lack of experience, or in your rush to install the new seal you might forget to put the bearings in the hub and have to destroy the new seal to put the bearings in. I wouldn't know anything about any of that.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:56 AM
TT Regular

Exclamation

Thanks for the part number Lego, and Table Rocker that exact cartoon bubble passed through my mind when I was packing the inside bearing, fortunately I was able to stay on task and get the bearings in first, lol. I do have another question though and I hope I did not run into a huge problem with my install... after assembling the hub and all, I didn't recall the gap between the drum and backing plate portion of hub. I have a gap of probably 1/4" or so between the two parts, like the hub/drum is not pushed on all the way. I am wondering did I indeed install the wrong seals and hub did not fully slide onto spindle, or is this normal? When I disassembled it was really dirty so I don't recall the gap. Do you think I messed up? I can attach picture that shows the part of hub, in question.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190, LT1
There is normally a gap between your drum and the backing plate, and the seal wouldn't have affected that distance, as long as your seal was installed flush with the hub. As long as there is no wobble in your wheel after installing your spindle washer and nut, then you are good. Grab the wheel at the 3 & 9 position and push/pull back and fourth to check wobble. The procedure I follow for the spindle nut is too tighten the nut fairly snug while spinning the wheel, then back the nut off and finger tighten only and install your cotter pin or tang washer.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 AM
TT Regular

Great, thanks for putting my mind to ease, I just did not see that gap being that large before hand. Everything went together correct and no wobbles, so I think I can check that off the list.
Thanks everyone for any help offered, much appreciated!

FYI the seals I ended up purchasing were part number 71-801 --- Marine Grease Seal - 2.33" O.D. - 1.68" I.D. - .5" Thick, which is (I believe) the same as the UFP 07027U. So at least here is another number to cross reference with.