Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 02-15-2017, 03:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Best wheel covers for tires in ground contact

I'm putting new ST215/75R14 tires on my single axle trailer and looking to protect them from the elements while parked in my driveway in Florida.

I've ordered a Mastercraft shield cover for the spare from Action Water Sports:

Mastercraft Spare Tire Cover

Anybody got suggestions on quality covers for the tires in contact with the ground? I've come across these on Amazon:

ADCO

Classic

Covercraft

Leader

I've never used such covers. The installation method for the Covercraft one caught me eye since I have back problems from time to time, but it costs more and doesn't have many reviews.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
Not sure about covers, mine is kept in a garage.

But, if you are parking on concrete put something between the tire and the concrete. I use carpet samples. Concrete draws the moisture out of tires and dries them out, the carpet samples helps prevent that.

I learned the trick from my neighbor that runs dragsters (rails) with the huge slicks. He does it to prolong tire life on his race cars.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscrib View Post
Not sure about covers, mine is kept in a garage.

But, if you are parking on concrete put something between the tire and the concrete. I use carpet samples. Concrete draws the moisture out of tires and dries them out, the carpet samples helps prevent that.

I learned the trick from my neighbor that runs dragsters (rails) with the huge slicks. He does it to prolong tire life on his race cars.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm working on that aspect, too. More specifically, my boat is parked past the end of my asphalt driveway in grass, which I understand is worse than asphalt and concrete for the tires. I'm looking at pouring some small concrete pads just for the tires and covering them with plastic cutting boards like I read someone else on here is doing. Not sure about the relative merits of plastic versus carpet but I'm a little concerned about carpet retaining moisture from all the rain we get (I don't have a garage like you are using). I've seen Michelin advice to use cardboard, wood, or plastic as a barrier.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Bought a pair of the Covercraft Snap-ring Tiresavers. With the snap-ring design, they go on easily. Will have to see how they hold up over time and how they do in wind. Kind of loose at the bottom but maybe the wheel chocks will help with that.

I'm using this poly cutting board purchased at Walmart under my tires and over pressure treated lumber. At 10 inches wide, it covers under my 215/75R14 tires yet is narrow enough that it does not interfere with placement of my wheel chocks. Not really into fake granite, but this particular board has a flat top compared to the plain white boards they had that had design features that could result in water collection.

Dexas Polygranite 10" x 13" Cutting Board
Old 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I would consider a 4" thick pad of class 5 rock. Three or four trips with a truck and a little shovel work.

Custom wheel and tire packages
Rebuilding Holley Carbs $249
Rebuilt complete Holley Carbs $400

$250 FULL STARS & STRIPES DECAL KITS
$200 FULL DECAL KITS 1987-1989
COSTOM DECALS AND OTHER YEARS AVAILABLE

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 03-01-2017, 10:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I would consider a 4" thick pad of class 5 rock. Three or four trips with a truck and a little shovel work.

Custom wheel and tire packages
Rebuilding Holley Carbs $249
Rebuilt complete Holley Carbs $400
My current setup is temporary until I decide what I'm doing with my driveway, which I may be extending into the boat storage area when I renovate the driveway and my house. I want to protect the trailer tires, but I would also like a stable surface in the boat storage area for jack stands. Currently, in order to use my Esco jack stands, I have to move the boat from its normal storage location on grass to a location on the paved driveway that interferes with other uses of the driveway.

Esco (ESC10498) 3 Ton Jack Stand - Flat Top with Rubber Cushion
Old 03-01-2017, 11:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I was able to cut some scrap 6 x 6 timber to just the right length to place under each end of the axle and raise the tires off the ground. Since my boat is parked for 6 months each winter it's not a hassle to do it.

I also place a black garbage bag around each tire for UV protection.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
My current setup is temporary until I decide what I'm doing with my driveway, which I may be extending into the boat storage area when I renovate the driveway and my house. I want to protect the trailer tires, but I would also like a stable surface in the boat storage area for jack stands. Currently, in order to use my Esco jack stands, I have to move the boat from its normal storage location on grass to a location on the paved driveway that interferes with other uses of the driveway.

Esco (ESC10498) 3 Ton Jack Stand - Flat Top with Rubber Cushion
I use jack stands when storing my boat for the winter as well. Mine goes in a metal shop with a concrete floor.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMC-06X2 View Post
I use jack stands when storing my boat for the winter as well. Mine goes in a metal shop with a concrete floor.
So far, I've just used them on the trailer for leaf spring and wheel/tire work. Tempting to use them to take weight off the tires during storage, especially since I just bought tires and want to take care of them, but I don't have a suitable surface right now where I store my boat and, being in Florida, I probably move the boat more than most folks further North. I'm not even winterizing it. I babysit it the couple of days a year that a hard freeze is threatened.

There's a utility trailer manufacturer where I live. They tell me the best thing for trailer tires is to pull the trailer down the road regularly.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

My Covercraft Snap-ring Tiresavers with chocks against them stayed on during Irma. I didn't hear the actual wind we got, but we we supposed to get sustained winds of about 72 mph with gusts above that. There are many trees down in town with one two foot diameter tree down on a neighbor's property about 100 feet from my boat.