Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 06-11-2018, 12:04 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft ProStar 205
Deckadence in PS205

This was a big project with several details that had to be addressed. I removed carpet everywhere except bow, underneath observer’s seat, kick panel below the dash, and around base of engine cover. The floor of the boat is a combination of black gel-coat-covered fiberglass with aluminum panels in front and behind engine compartment, plus the aluminum ski locker door between driver and observer. These aluminum panels are friction fit with carpet wrapped on all sides so they have about 3/8” gaps with carpet removed. Without the carpet wrap the aluminum panels also needed to sit on top of some sort of spacer to be even with the top of the gel coat/fiberglass floor, so I used some self-adhesive clear rubber pads like you would put on the bottom of furniture or something like that. SeaDek would be a difficult material to work with in this application due to these issues.
Needed about 14’ of Deckadence material laid in two pieces, left to right; it comes in a 6-foot-wide roll and is pretty heavy.

Bench seat, driver’s seat, engine cover, and gas tank removed. Cut carpet around base of observer seat and next to kick panel below dash. With the carpet out, I found the transition from floor to the side of the boat was too rough and there were voids that needed to be filled before primer - I used short-strand fiberglass filler. Carpet glue was difficult to remove from the aluminum panels and black gel coat on the floor. Nothing I tried worked really well. Sanded with 80 grit and primed with white, 2-part epoxy primer. Mixed white polyurethane with some of the provided white crumb provided by Liner Xtreeme and sprayed the entire two gallons on the aluminum panels and boat interior all the way back to include the rear ski locker. Aluminum panels were installed/friction fit with dense foam strips cut from “fatigue mat” flooring squares purchased at Lowes. Ski locker door needed 1/4” spacers on the hinges to properly center the door in the opening. I also use 1/4" spacers on the engine cover hinges because the Deckadence flooring is a little taller than the carpet. Created template with heavy-duty clear plastic per the Deckadence installation videos and cut/fit the flooring. I planned to join the seam on the port side, creating one large piece of flooring around the engine cover but it fit so well, I decided to leave it in two pieces.

Material list:
Sanding disks, acetone stripper, etc., short-strand fiberglass filler, 2 quarts of white epoxy primer, 2 gallons of white Liner Xtreeme polyurethane, some dense 3/8” foam, ” spacers for hinges, and 14 feet of Deckadence material. Also found some vinyl carpet edge material for the transition from walk-through to open bow.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 prostar 209
Great write up. Boat looks amazing.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 NXT20
That looks amazing!! Great work!
Old 06-11-2018, 09:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L