Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-27-2018, 01:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
Sub - same here, and my amp is mounted no where near it. I just put the battery switch in the "combined" position, upping the volts, and its working fine. Apparently the sub is power hungry and the amp protection is on the sensitive side. Mine came from Earmark so I will give Odin a shout Tuesday but would love some feedback in the meantime.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan64 View Post
Mine if definitely related somehow to the sub and itís amp... if I unplug the sub amp RCAs, the dx6 will make the cabins scream as loud as I can bear to have them... soon as I plug the sub back in, itís back to cutting out at about half volume....

Iíve gotta believe itís not sub vibration related.. surely there are way more powerful systems than my 1200w 12Ē in a ported box. Which leads me to batteries.. Iíve got two pro guide group 27 batteries wired in the factory house/crank setup through the factory switch. Iím running the amp power cables off the battery that is switch position 1, or the house bank... the batteries have sticker date code 2016 on them. I guess even though I have 2 batts, in this configuration, Iím only using one for the system right? Could this be an issue?
Try lowering the gain on the 1200.1 and see. This will keep it playing but reduce its draw.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:00 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 X-Star 6.2 Ilmor
Update: played with gain on the 1200.1 as suggested.. it will allow the sdx6 to play to a little higher volume, but it still cuts out and I’m not at all ok with having to turn down the sub lol... I’m wondering if I have a loose wire somewhere... it really acts like it’s vibration related. surely it’s not amp internal. I finally got so frustrated I just unplugged the sub and it would play fine, until we hit a rough patch of water, then it would drop out again... weird
Old 05-28-2018, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

It does seem to be current draw or vibration related.

And just to clarify, lowering the gains on the woofer amp was not a suggestion to fix, but to isolate the issue.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:53 AM
TT Regular

Thanks for the help MLA... funny thing is all this T-Spec stuff came from you lol... I’m assuming MLA is mikes liquid audio or chpthril on tigeowners, which is where I first learned of you and bought all this to install in my 22i, but traded it for an x Star last fall... had the box of stuff still in the closet so I figured I’d put it to use lol
Old 05-28-2018, 01:26 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan64 View Post
Thanks for the help MLA... funny thing is all this T-Spec stuff came from you lol... Iím assuming MLA is mikes liquid audio or chpthril on tigeowners, which is where I first learned of you and bought all this to install in my 22i, but traded it for an x Star last fall... had the box of stuff still in the closet so I figured Iíd put it to use lol
That would be me. Did you move since we shipped that? I dont find a Bryan in/near MO that got amp install gear. Have one we hipped to AR 2016 though.

The fact that the suspect amp stopped again while the 1200.1 was off line, points to some thing directly related to the amp, but I would not discount a poor terminal connection all the way from battery/switch, up to the amp. A poor crimp or solder, turn-on wire where the set screw got more insulation then wire, etc. Strand of speaker wire touching the other speaker terminal, those kinds of things. Need to eliminate ever possible external thing, before thinking its internal of the amp.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:37 PM
MC Fanatic

MLA, now that I know who you are I will be reaching out on my next purchase. Your service is awesome.

I was wrong earlier when I said that my amp does not cut out with the sub unplugged. It does. But everything works fine until voltage drops into the low 12s. Could this still be a bad connection or does the fact that it works perfect on a strong battery an indication that the problem maybe something else.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:42 PM
TT Regular

Yes mike, the Bryan in Arkansas you shipped to is me. I haven’t moved but Berryville AR is about 10 miles south of the Missouri border, so we boat in Missouri on table rock lake..

I’ll get out there later this evening when it cools off and and start checking and double checking every connections.. maybe even pull every wire loose and re-attach
Old 05-28-2018, 02:08 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesam View Post
MLA, now that I know who you are I will be reaching out on my next purchase. Your service is awesome.

I was wrong earlier when I said that my amp does not cut out with the sub unplugged. It does. But everything works fine until voltage drops into the low 12s. Could this still be a bad connection or does the fact that it works perfect on a strong battery an indication that the problem maybe something else.
Low 12's static/at rest, is 50% or greater depleted. 12.0 is about 80% depleted. Under load, a low 12 can dip well below 12, sending the amp into low voltage protect mode.

An inaccurate low voltage at the amp can be cause by a bad connection. Battery may have good voltage, but its dropping somewhere by time it gets to the amp.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:42 PM
MC Fanatic

The setup is a Syn Dx6 and Dx2.3. The Dx2.3 has not gone into protection mode once and they are both feeding from the same distribution blocks so not much wiring to trouble shoot.