Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 06-24-2016, 10:17 AM
gt23's Avatar
gt23 gt23 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Boat: 2015 X30, 2008 X15 (sold)
Location: Alberta and Idaho
Posts: 2,618


Funny... Especially BC I don't care for GS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 06-24-2016, 12:07 PM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamont View Post
MJ went to the line more than LBJ in the regular season and in the post season. So I don't buy the "he gets all the calls" argument. Especially considering how ticky tack the NBA has become.

Just to clarify, I don't think LBJ is better than MJ but he is my #2 and closing the gap.
MJ didn't have an outside game at the beginning of his career, and wasn't a threat in the post until later as well, so he drove from the outside a lot and was fouled. This accounts for some of the trips to the stripe... but so does the fact that when his jumped improved, every team was terrified of it, so he got fouled on jumpers more than anyone that I've seen in my life.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 06-24-2016, 12:11 PM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
Impressive stats for both, for sure. But one is substantially better than the other.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 06-24-2016, 05:11 PM
Forrest-X45's Avatar
Forrest-X45 Forrest-X45 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: X-45
Location: Northwest
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamont View Post
MJ went to the line more than LBJ in the regular season and in the post season. So I don't buy the "he gets all the calls" argument. Especially considering how ticky tack the NBA has become.

Just to clarify, I don't think LBJ is better than MJ but he is my #2 and closing the gap.
Number 2? What?!?!? I wouldn't put him in the top 5. I am going to have to come down there and kick your arse.
__________________
2008 X-45 Pro Tour Red and White
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 06-24-2016, 05:17 PM
Forrest-X45's Avatar
Forrest-X45 Forrest-X45 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: X-45
Location: Northwest
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Impressive stats for both, for sure. But one is substantially better than the other.
The one big difference is mental fortitude. It's not a stat but what separates Jordan. Never seen anyone like Jordan. Has anyone ever called MJ a manbaby? That hard foul at the end of the 4th quarter and LBJ rolled around on the floor like he had broken his arm. Pathetic....what a big baby. Don't ever remember seeing MJ acting like a big baby or being carried off the floor by teammates because he had a leg cramp.
__________________
2008 X-45 Pro Tour Red and White
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 06-24-2016, 05:24 PM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamont View Post
MJ went to the line more than LBJ in the regular season and in the post season. So I don't buy the "he gets all the calls" argument. Especially considering how ticky tack the NBA has become.

Just to clarify, I don't think LBJ is better than MJ but he is my #2 and closing the gap.
Kareem. Wilt. Bird. Magic. Dr. J. Russell. Robertson. Duncan. Kobe.


Tough to put Lebron ahead of everyone on the list above...
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 06-24-2016, 05:52 PM
Forrest-X45's Avatar
Forrest-X45 Forrest-X45 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: X-45
Location: Northwest
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Kareem. Wilt. Bird. Magic. Dr. J. Russell. Robertson. Duncan. Kobe.


Tough to put Lebron ahead of everyone on the list above...
That's a solid list. Barkley has MJ, Kareem, Wilt, Robertson, and Russell on his top 5 list. Tough to argue with that list except for Bird and Magic, and even Kobe.
__________________
2008 X-45 Pro Tour Red and White
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 06-24-2016, 06:01 PM
dlamont's Avatar
dlamont dlamont is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Boat: 83 SnS / Axis A22
Location: Northwest
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
Kareem. Wilt. Bird. Magic. Dr. J. Russell. Robertson. Duncan. Kobe.


Tough to put Lebron ahead of everyone on the list above...
Larry Bird?!LOL!!
http://www.landofbasketball.com/play...bron_james.htm

Kobe?!LOL!
http://www.landofbasketball.com/play...bron_james.htm

Dr. J?!LOL!
http://www.landofbasketball.com/play...bron_james.htm

Kareem, Wilt, Russell & Duncan were all interior players that not only could LBJ match up with defensively but he would dominate them on offense. Imagine any one of those guys trying to stop LBJ from driving to the hoop from the 3 point line.

Oscar & Magic have the best case against LBJ but Oscar played in an different era against weak opposition yet he only won one ring. I think Magic and LBJ are very similar but LBJ is a better scorer and a much better defender.
http://www.landofbasketball.com/play...ic_johnson.htm

LBJ is still in his prime and he's already surpassed these guys.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 06-24-2016, 07:13 PM
scott023's Avatar
scott023 scott023 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Location: Canada
Posts: 15,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamont View Post
Larry Bird?!LOL!!
http://www.landofbasketball.com/play...bron_james.htm

Kobe?!LOL!
http://www.landofbasketball.com/play...bron_james.htm

Dr. J?!LOL!
http://www.landofbasketball.com/play...bron_james.htm

Kareem, Wilt, Russell & Duncan were all interior players that not only could LBJ match up with defensively but he would dominate them on offense. Imagine any one of those guys trying to stop LBJ from driving to the hoop from the 3 point line.

Oscar & Magic have the best case against LBJ but Oscar played in an different era against weak opposition yet he only won one ring. I think Magic and LBJ are very similar but LBJ is a better scorer and a much better defender.
http://www.landofbasketball.com/play...ic_johnson.htm

LBJ is still in his prime and he's already surpassed these guys.
Not all about stats my friend. Look at a players overall impact on the league and what roads they have paved for current players. Those are things that build legacy's.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 06-28-2016, 11:40 AM
dvsone79's Avatar
dvsone79 dvsone79 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: '99 205v
Location: Tennessee River
Posts: 1,323
I'm late to the debate since I was on a lake trip during the last two games of the finals. Now that the sour taste of GSW losing has subsided (not a fan, per se, but I really wanted to see them win and put an exclamation point at the end of that record season), I can make some objective opinions. King Kames is the best player in the NBA, and probably my #2 all time behind MJ. Those two defensive plays near the end of game 7 were incredible. The come from behind block of Iggy's shot, and the steal he had on another GS fast break. Both plays would have been 2 points each for dubs and that 4 point swing made the difference. The definition of clutch. I couldn't care less about the Cavs or LBJ, but they deserve credit.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 AM.


2018