Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-02-2018, 08:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X10
Low Pro Trailer Conversion

Has anyone actually converted a late model trailer with 14 inch wheels to the 18 inch low pro wheels? I found some older threads on this topic but still not 100% sure what is needed.

Here's the situation. My dealer has a leftover 2017 X23 that I am interested in. My main dislike with the boat is that it has the standard 14 inch wheels on the trailer. I really would like to have the low pro option. My sales guy has indicated the conversion can be done but they are a low volume dealer so I am cautious about taking him at his word.

The older threads indicate the fenders would need to replaced to accommodate the wider tire and is fairly easy to do if you have the steel ones. I also saw one post mention the need for adapters/spacers due to the axles being different widths. Anyone know if this is in fact true? I am not interested in running spacers so if they are required its a deal breaker for me. Anything else I should consider?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
A friend of mine is actually looking to go the other direction. I struggle with the advantage of the low profile option but then again I'm more of a substance person than fashion.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
The biggest hurdle is wheel width. the 14" x 5.5" take a narrow fender. The 19" x 9" wheels need a larger fender. Once you replace the fenders, you will have to add wheel adapters as the axles will be too narrow.

I sell aluminum and steel fenders, and 18" wheels. I can steer you to the wheel adapters and tires.

The only pics I can find are from a covered trailer that was converted from 15" to 18".
Attached Images

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 08-05-2018, 10:08 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
The biggest hurdle is wheel width. the 14" x 5.5" take a narrow fender. The 19" x 9" wheels need a larger fender. Once you replace the fenders, you will have to add wheel adapters as the axles will be too narrow.

I sell aluminum and steel fenders, and 18" wheels. I can steer you to the wheel adapters and tires.

The only pics I can find are from a covered trailer that was converted from 15" to 18".
Thanks for the information. Do you know why the spacers are required? Does MC use two different width axles from the factory based on standard versus low pro? I currently have a 2015 X10 with the standard wheels and noticed the fenders do not fit flush to the trailer frame. They sit about an inch or so off. I assumed that gap was there to handle the wider fender if you ordered the low pro option from the factory.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjr View Post
Thanks for the information. Do you know why the spacers are required? Does MC use two different width axles from the factory based on standard versus low pro? I currently have a 2015 X10 with the standard wheels and noticed the fenders do not fit flush to the trailer frame. They sit about an inch or so off. I assumed that gap was there to handle the wider fender if you ordered the low pro option from the factory.

Going from 14 x 5.5 wheels with zero offset to 18 x 9 wheels with +10 offset, you need the spacers to make up the difference. I would assume Mastercraft uses different axles but I have never measured them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-05-2018, 11:10 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Going from 14 x 5.5 wheels with zero offset to 18 x 9 wheels with +10 offset, you need the spacers to make up the difference. I would assume Mastercraft uses different axles but I have never measured them.

That makes sense now. Not crazy about have to use spacers but if I decide to got that route I will definitely reach out. Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjr View Post
That makes sense now. Not crazy about have to use spacers but if I decide to got that route I will definitely reach out. Thanks again.

For what itís worth, these would be wheel adapter the bolt to your existing lug nuts and have their own wheel studs. They are not the same as wheel spacer that slip over your studs between the hub and wheel.
Wheel adapters are much more secure.

Tags
low profile, trailer