Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
Actually if you combine all lawn equipment and all motorcycles, they account for less than 1% of pollution from combustion engines.

It's a good thing our EPA wastes about 4 million dollars per year on that cause.
My father is a retired meteorologist from the Navy and the NOAA, so I will just quote him. “When someone can tell us what the average global temperature was 500, 1000, or 2000 years ago, then we can have a conversation about the Global Warming bull****”.

We might actually have a COLDER average temperature now than when the dinosaurs were around.
One of my favorites.
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2016, 05:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
Adhuggins.....Instrumental temperature data for 150 years. Climate proxy data used to reconstruct temperature data for 1000 years.

Climate scientists a better source of scientific information than a meteorologist.

Your father should perhaps review the Navy and the NOAA positions on the matter.

Last edited by Jorski; 07-15-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:07 PM
MC Devotee

Unhappy

Double post
Old 07-15-2016, 11:21 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorski View Post
Adhuggins.....Instrumental temperature data for 150 years. Climate proxy data used to reconstruct temperature data for 1000 years.

Climate scientists a better source of scientific information than a meteorologist.

Your father should perhaps review the Navy and the NOAA positions on the matter.
I'll be sure to pass that along to him but I'm sure that he's up to speed on their positions since he worked for both and still maintains contacts within the NOAA.

I (and my father) will include the 1000 years of "proxy data" that reconstructs temperature data without knowing the margin of error, and knowing that it doesn't include every region on the planet. That being said, the statement still stands: No one can tell me what the average global temperature was when the dinosaurs walked the earth. Therefore it is entirely possible that our average temperature today is actually cooler than it was 65 million years ago. 1000 years of proxy data is equal to a sample of .000015 out of 65 million. 150 years of actual records are equal to .000002. I don't consider that scientific information.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014, X30, 6.0 Gen2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorski View Post

Climate scientists?
Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by atthelake View Post
Climate scientists?
Climatologists.
Some of their science:
Put temperature monitoring equipment on roof tops and beside asphalt parking lots.
Increasing the 90 degree air temperature and saying it "feels like it's 100 degrees" because of the humidity. They call it the Heat Index.
And my favorite (drumroll). Omitting a period of cooler temperature from their data because they assume that it must be an anomaly.

I just thought it was hilarious that the boating course implied that repeatedly turning your boat (tubing) contributes to climate change. The government believes that they can control the weather but they can't control our borders.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014, X30, 6.0 Gen2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
Climatologists.
Some of their science:
Put temperature monitoring equipment on roof tops and beside asphalt parking lots.
Increasing the 90 degree air temperature and saying it "feels like it's 100 degrees" because of the humidity. They call it the Heat Index.
And my favorite (drumroll). Omitting a period of cooler temperature from their data because they assume that it must be an anomaly.

I just thought it was hilarious that the boating course implied that repeatedly turning your boat (tubing) contributes to climate change. The government believes that they can control the weather but they can't control our borders.
Sorry, I get it. Just needed to use the sarcastic font for my post.
I also think it's also hilarious. I suppose as one of these scientists were sitting in their cottage made of grass and clay, drinking warm goats milk, a person pulling a tube drove.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthelake View Post
Sorry, I get it. Just needed to use the sarcastic font for my post.
I also think it's also hilarious. I suppose as one of these scientists were sitting in their cottage made of grass and clay, drinking warm goats milk, a person pulling a tube drove.
That's just it! If they really believed this stuff themselves, they wouldn't be flying all over the world to climate change conferences and living in million dollar homes that takes tons of energy to operate!
Old 07-16-2016, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft 190 1987 351 Indmar
If POTUS would shut up and refrain from polluting the air it would be a great help!

Just saying...
Old 07-16-2016, 02:53 PM
MC Devotee

It matters little what the temperature was when the dinosaurs walked the earth. What matter is what the temperature will be during your lifetime and your children's lifetime. It's funny that you would tout your father as an expert because he worked in the Navy and with NOAA...then immediately discount the current positions of both of those organizations.

Spoiler: both the Navy and the NOAA have published statements affirming the scientific consensus that global warming is occurring snd that it's man made.....despite what was happening when the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

In fact the Navy has singled out climate change as a threat to national defence.

And this from NOAA:

Climate Change and Variability

Climate is defined as long-term averages and variations in weather measured over a period of several decades. The Earth’s climate system includes the land surface, atmosphere, oceans, and ice. Many aspects of the global climate are changing rapidly, and the primary drivers of that change are human in origin. Evidence for changes in the climate system abounds, from the top of the atmosphere to the depths of the oceans. See*Observed Change*in the National Climate Assessment to learn more about the indicators of a warming world.

According to the*third U.S. National Climate Assessment, “Global climate is changing and this is apparent across the United States in a wide range of observations. The global warming of the past 50 years is primarily due to human activities, predominantly the burning of fossil fuels.”

Mandated at least every four years by the Global Change Research Act of 1990, the U.S. National Climate Assessment documents climate change related impacts and responses for various sectors and regions, with the goal of better informing public and private decision making at all levels.

Third U.S. National Climate Assessment Key FindingsGlobal climate is changing and this is apparent across the United States in a wide range of observations. The global warming of the past 50 years is primarily due to human activities, predominantly the burning of fossil fuels.Some extreme weather and climate events have increased in recent decades, and new and stronger evidence confirms that some of these increases are related to human activities.Human-induced climate change is projected to continue, and it will accelerate significantly if global emissions of heat-trapping gases continue to increase.Impacts related to climate change are already evident in many sectors and are expected to become increasingly disruptive across the nation throughout this century and beyond.Climate change threatens human health and well-being in many ways, including through more extreme weather events and wildfire, decreased air quality, and diseases transmitted by insects, food, and water.Infrastructure is being damaged by sea level rise, heavy downpours, and extreme heat; damages are projected to increase with continued climate change.Water quality and water supply reliability are jeopardized by climate change in a variety of ways that affect ecosystems and livelihoods.Climate disruptions to agriculture have been increasing and are projected to become more severe over this century.

Climate change poses particular threats to Indigenous Peoples’ health, wellbeing, and ways of life.

Ecosystems and the benefits they provide to society are being affected by climate change. The capacity of ecosystems to buffer the impacts of extreme events like fires, floods, and severe storms is being overwhelmed.Ocean waters are becoming warmer and more acidic, broadly affecting ocean circulation, chemistry, ecosystems, and marine life.Planning for adaptation (to address and prepare for impacts) and mitigation (to reduce future climate change, for example by cutting emissions) is becoming more widespread, but current implementation efforts are insufficient to avoid increasingly negative social, environmental, and economic consequences

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/climate-inf...nd-variability

Last edited by Jorski; 07-16-2016 at 03:21 PM.