Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-02-2017, 02:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30, Gen 2, 7.4L!!
Low oil pressure 2008 xstar

2008 xstar has low oil pressure warning alarm reading below 10lbs on gauge with following information .

Mcx 5.7L motor
360 hours
Oil level normal

No milky appearance in oil

Oil pressure perfect at idle, in reverse under load, and when taken out of gear and rpm reved up at the dock.

Engine not running hot

No knocking noise

Took to service shop with boat in water, placed a manual oil pressure gauge direct from engine and getting same reading as dash gauge, under 10 lbs. By passed sending unit with manual gauge test to check for failed sending unit

Problem started when emptying balance after wake surfing

Oil pressure ONLY drops when boat is at pitch before it plans out. Approx 10-15 degree angle

NEED FEEDBACK ASAP PLEASE. Anyone have this issue and what was the fix ?
Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Try adding an extra half of a quart and see if that fixes the low oil pressure during launch.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:29 PM
TT Regular

That was the first thing we did. Topped off the oil
Old 08-02-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantman View Post
That was the first thing we did. Topped off the oil
I mean to overfill it by 1/2 on the dipstick while at idle. I notice in my 06 that at heavy angles while surfing the ECU would detect low oil and bring the boat back to idle. Oil pressure never showed low but by adding 1/2 quart it stopped the low oil alarm.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 08-02-2017, 01:49 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I mean to overfill it by 1/2 on the dipstick while at idle. I notice in my 06 that at heavy angles while surfing the ECU would detect low oil and bring the boat back to idle. Oil pressure never showed low but by adding 1/2 quart it stopped the low oil alarm.
We put a manual gauge on the motor and it showed low oil pressure. So we know that it is NOT the sensor. The motor actually has low oil pressure
Old 08-02-2017, 01:53 PM

The only other things I could suggest is changing out the oil filter. Possible bad internal drain valve. Also take an oil sample and send it in for testing. If it has a large amount of bearing material in it then you know you have real issues and will most likely need a tear down and inspection. If not then possibly a bad oil pump but I doubt that is the issue.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:04 PM
TT Regular

[quote=CantRepeat;1363036]The only other things I could suggest is changing out the oil filter. Possible bad internal drain valve. Also take an oil sample and send it in for testing. If it has a large amount of bearing material in it then you know you have real issues and will most likely need a tear down and inspection. If not then possibly a bad oil pump but I doubt that is the

Oil pressure is perfect except for when you attempt to put the boat up on plain at angle pitch . Good at idle, good out of gear with higher rpm, good in reverse. Makes me think its a pickup issue in the pan.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
The only other things I could suggest is changing out the oil filter. Possible bad internal drain valve. Also take an oil sample and send it in for testing. If it has a large amount of bearing material in it then you know you have real issues and will most likely need a tear down and inspection. If not then possibly a bad oil pump but I doubt that is the issue.

Oil pressure is perfect except for when you attempt to put the boat up on plain at angle pitch . Good at idle, good out of gear with higher rpm, good in reverse. Makes me think its a pickup issue in the pan.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, 5.7L Indmar
Does it do it when the engine is cold or only when it is hot. Also when you say the oil is below 10 psi ( I assume that triggers the alarm) or is it at 0 psi. 0 psi means oil starvation. On that engine, the oil pickup tube and screen is pressed into the oil pressure housing with no fastener holding it on. If it has fallen out of the pump you will get oil starvation anytime the engine is not near level.

The fix is a new oil pump and pickup. Parts are around a $100 but the engine has to come out.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
Does it do it when the engine is cold or only when it is hot. Also when you say the oil is below 10 psi ( I assume that triggers the alarm) or is it at 0 psi. 0 psi means oil starvation. On that engine, the oil pickup tube and screen is pressed into the oil pressure housing with no fastener holding it on. If it has fallen out of the pump you will get oil starvation anytime the engine is not near level.

The fix is a new oil pump and pickup. Parts are around a $100 but the engine has to come out.
Thanks for the info! We were afraid it was something in the pan. The shop is scheduled to pull it out later this month.

Tags
low oil pressue, mcx 5.7 low oil pressure, oil pressure, xstar