Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2018, 04:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 NXT Global, Mercury Verado 175
My pictures aren't the best and I no longer have the boat...but it is basically this stuff.
https://www.skidim.com/Oil-Coolers_Lines/products/1099/
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 10:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1982 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes 351
Thank you for the pictures and details. I will take a look tomorrow and report back.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:35 PM
TT Newbie

Unfortunately, no leaks there. Looks like pulling the transmission is next. Any idea which gaskets I should order? 1982 MasterCraft S&S 351 Velvet Drive.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by augtober154 View Post
Unfortunately, no leaks there. Looks like pulling the transmission is next. Any idea which gaskets I should order? 1982 MasterCraft S&S 351 Velvet Drive.
First, you need to find the leak to know what to fix. No need in pulling transmission if it's not the front seal. Rear seal can be installed without pulling. If it's dripping out of the bell housing will be a tell tell sign it's the front seal, and it'll only leak while running. It's the front pump seal. Everything else is easily seen. Just clean it up real good, put it in the water and use a white cloth to feel around till you find the leak. Also, no gasket needed for the transmission removal/install. There's just a spacer plate there.

As for the no cranking when warm. Could be timing, check that and also check the advance springs in the distributor. ( do this by turning rotor button and it should spring back). Also if the battery cables are old, this will more than likely be the problem. I had a boat that acted the same way, had to let it cool off before it'd crank again. Starter dragged very bad when warm. This leads to another possibility, the starter.... I've seen them turn well while cold and drag when warm.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2018, 08:21 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks paco_06. It definitely leaks while just sitting there. I'll clean it up and refill it, let it float, and determine with a white cloth where the leak is coming from while it is sitting in water. I do know that the leak occurs whether it is running or just sitting cold on the lift or trailer. So, just to be clear, you are saying that this is likely the rear seal and I wouldn't have to pull the transmission? Would I need to order a new spacer plate?

Thanks for the info on possible issues with the distributer, battery cables, and starter. I'll look into those. I guess moving to a electronic fuel ignition system would be smart.

Thanks so much for your (and everyone's time) trying to figure this out.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:17 PM
TT Newbie

Well, thanks again everyone for the help. After attempting the rear seal, the leak was still there. We took the transmission completely off and did the front seal too. So far, no leaks and somehow the other problem hasn't shown itself again (knock on wood!). It's running great!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Great! Glad you got it fixed! I'm trying to remember if a ground wire has to be removed to get the transmission out. If so, that's likely where your electrical problem is.

Oh, and your comment on moving to fuel injection above. To each their own, some people like it, but I will say there's about a 2:1 ratio on here of post 1994 problems versus the 1993 and earlier carbed boats. May just be that there's more of them all together, but I'll keep my carb as long as I can

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Tags
drip, gasket, housing, leak, transmission