Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-05-2017, 10:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
On the bright side I was getting similar if not marginally better gas mileage in the Yukon than the merc. (I drive relatively aggressively)
Old 05-05-2017, 11:10 AM
MC Devotee

To be clear:
We own a 2015 Yukon XL SLT we bought the same day from same dealer as my buddy who bought the only Denali available at the time. He hates that Denali - shocks tail lights and low battery deal. He's out more cash than I and doesnt tow.

We are driving a rented 2017 merc gls 450 (turbo 6 cyl).

The merc is bottom of the line no frills and the only thing missing between it and the premium line Yukon are parking sensors up front.

It's still 5 times the vehicle the Yukon is. I want the Yukon to be better I truly do but it's no where near the driver the merc is.

Yukon = school bus (more room)
Merc = Ferrari that can tow your boat (cockpit feel)

The kids all like the merc better too = electronics and little features like projection lights from mirrors projecting the merc symbol

I'm calling out the 2014 gl 450 as the car to buy because it's a v8 that can be chipped to give you more than 500 horses.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:22 AM
MC Devotee

Lastly - resale value? the dollar value of our Yukon XL is gone due to two accidents, one that triggered airbags, both will show up on car fax so I'm giving you my honest opinion with no bias to resell value - which accudentbor not is simply not going to be there on a new Yukon.

Side note: I do feel my family is safer in the Yukon than a smaller vehicle - are they as safe or safer than if in. Merc? No idea.

Yukon is not terrible. My wife loves hers but she's a chick that drives very cautiously. She has almost zero understanding of machines so her affinity for the Yukon over the merc is mental i.e. Based on preference that she describes as solely as "it has more room" ������
Old 05-06-2017, 12:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MC TT ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
I was actually told about this a few weeks before the release. My dealer sent me a bunch of pictures but I had to swear to not say anything.

IM very excited to see what it looks like in person. I really wish that it would have come in the Z71 version. But this is a step in the right direction.
Yea I am really excited for it. Depending on pricing it may be a contender to replace the Jeep when the time comes.

Now GM just needs to offer the 6.2 in the police version of the Tahoe. That would be the perfect police vehicle.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
Tires this large need to be load force balanced. I have done this for years on my Silverado with 20"s. Not all places do this and you have to ask for it. Only way to go in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '18 x23, '15 x10
Quote:
I was actually told about this a few weeks before the release. My dealer sent me a bunch of pictures but I had to swear to not say anything.

IM very excited to see what it looks like in person. I really wish that it would have come in the Z71 version. But this is a step in the right direction.
Mastercraft Dave, now that you got a 6.2 in a Tahoe. Can you please start pushing for a 6.6 duramax in a 2500 or 3500 HD suburban. I'm serious, I want one and know a lot of guys who do as well.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
2016 Yukon XL Denali

Any chevy you buy, make sure and drive the actual one you're buying at 70-80 mph. We've had 9 Silverado hd from 2011 to 2016. 7 have had the chevy shake at one time or another. Both 2015s had it from beginning. Took about 8 trips to get the tires balanced right. Believe it or not the local ford dealer finally got them to stop shaking (closest chevy dealer 20 miles away). Mine was fine unless I was towing and then it felt like my truck had a built in vibrator. Switched to ford in 2017, partner stuck with chevy and good luck so far.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC500mod View Post
Mastercraft Dave, now that you got a 6.2 in a Tahoe. Can you please start pushing for a 6.6 duramax in a 2500 or 3500 HD suburban. I'm serious, I want one and know a lot of guys who do as well.
That would be a pretty sweet combo. But I don't see them doing this anytime soon. Im looking forward to seeing this Tahoe in person. They are supposed to stat getting them late summer from what I was told.

With this big push for the ecoboost style engines, Im just happy that Chevy is sticking to its roots with the reliable V8s. The 6.2L is an awesome engine and tows very good. My Silverado lifted with 35s pulls my X23 with ease.

I was told ad im sure you have read that the 1500 Silverado's will have a Duramax soon and maybe that could make its way into the Tahoe/Suburban. Problem with a diesel in the SUVs is that the majority of the owners are buying these to haul kids around and the diesel option isn't very popular.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
test drive it if it isn't smooth as silk all the time then walk from it... there are over 750 pages of info on the chevy shake on GM owner sites...

Mine ended up being a rear end with excessive backlash.. they had my truck for over a month (I didn't care they let me drive their truck and I put 5000 miles on 3 of them) they came to my house to exchange one so it won't go beyond the 3000 miles they like to keep them under..

They fixed it... the topper on mine was causing issues after the fix was done... there was buffering between the truck and the topper acting like a drum... when I drove it without the topper as smooth as butter.. all the way to 100... then put the topper on... and a bit of a shake so opened all the windows and it went away...

If you have a great dealer it helps but to be honest knowing what is known I would wait till they come out with a new platform before I would jump into one...

I would drive one for an extensive road test out on a freeway where you get up to the 77 MPH and go for a while.. now some have noted that after about 1500 miles the shake shows up.. so you do so at your own risk... but it is still a small percentage of them...

Ford has a dampener they put on their frames for about $170/side...to get rid of vibrations.. this steel they use is just like a tuning fork...

If the dealer says it is flat spots on the tires.. run don't walk and don't look back they won't fix it... just chuckle and ask them when they went back to bias ply tires....

good luck...
Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-2 MCX
Quote:

Finally! And a 10-speed transmission?

2003 X-2 MCX