Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 12-21-2016, 06:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
They tend to put ome features on certain vehicles vs others to help with premium lines.

I cant tell you how many times I have asked my dealer to get them to put a 6.2L in a Z71 Tahoe..... GM wont budge on this.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Thanks all for the replies.

The wife and I drove one today and it was awful. Cabin pressure was such that it felt like our ears needed to pop. Then when we drove on the highway, between 70-77 the whole truck shook...wife and I looked at each other and said "no way."

We then drove a different one and it was much, much better. Still had a little cabin pressure which made it seem like we needed our ears to pop, but not as much as the other one. Also has some vibration in the vehicle around 74 mph, but again not nearly as much as the other one.

Will keep you posted.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X2 pro package
we have had 3 Denali XL

I have no idea what these people are talking about with shaking, vibration and ear popping....

Our 2016 is the quietest smoothest vehicle I have driven on the highway, with enough power to pull any Mastercraft. We use to pull a Formula 280 SS with no problems. We now tow an X2 on occasion.

Just for comparisons, my other cars are BMW's (2013 550 and 2017 440). Our Denali just as smooth and quiet as these cars.

Now I had the GMT900 version of the Denali XL, it was a 2010. That truck rode great, but was not as quiet as our (T1XX) 2016 Denali XL.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Yes, I've not had any issues with shaking at high speeds or cabin pressure. Mine is smooth. My only complaint is the lugging at slows speeds. I'm sure it is for gas mileage.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MC TT ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
They tend to put ome features on certain vehicles vs others to help with premium lines.

I cant tell you how many times I have asked my dealer to get them to put a 6.2L in a Z71 Tahoe..... GM wont budge on this.
They did for 2018!

Click!

Perfection on wheels
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 Prostar 205; 1996 Sea-doo GTX
The cabin pressure has alot to do with the sun roof or back windows being open just a bit. It happens in all cars but especially the SUV's.

The Chevy Shake is a phenomenon they are finding in the long wheel base vehicles and the amount of square footage in the roof steel. It is not noticeable to the ear but can be uncomfortable in long trips of a vibration in the roof, known to cause headaches.

This was in the early '15 models. I believe they have tested better welds and more sound insulation.

This is just from my research as we want/need one. None of which I have used against our willingness to purchase one.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71_Silvy View Post
They did for 2018!

Click!

Perfection on wheels
I was actually told about this a few weeks before the release. My dealer sent me a bunch of pictures but I had to swear to not say anything.

IM very excited to see what it looks like in person. I really wish that it would have come in the Z71 version. But this is a step in the right direction.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:33 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfooter View Post
Thanks all for the replies.

The wife and I drove one today and it was awful. Cabin pressure was such that it felt like our ears needed to pop. Then when we drove on the highway, between 70-77 the whole truck shook...wife and I looked at each other and said "no way."

We then drove a different one and it was much, much better. Still had a little cabin pressure which made it seem like we needed our ears to pop, but not as much as the other one. Also has some vibration in the vehicle around 74 mph, but again not nearly as much as the other one.

Will keep you posted.
I have found that the vibration in the GM is due to poor wheel balancing from the factory. I had this same problem with my wife Jeep.

In todays world, mechanics do not take there time when balancing tires and this will lead to vibration. I made a big deal about this on my wife's jeep and we found that most of the Jeeps that were on the it suffered from this. Once the dealer took the time to rebalance the tires it was solved. We swapped many tires from other jeeps on the lot and they all did the same thing. Thy did a road force balance and they solved the issue.

I have seen this on GMs as well. My moms Denali, which was at one point mine, is flawless and one of the best riding SUVs on the market. I did ride in an Escalade the other day as our dealer is adding Cadillac, and wow, those are some of the finest SUVs I have ever ridden in.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
We have a '15 Yukon XL bought new. If my wife would let me I would buy a 2014 Mercedes gl 450 and chip it.... specifically that yr.

Wife likes the Yukon better than the merc due to size. Liles thevway the merc drives better (the merc is 5 times the vehicle the Yukon is)

Issues:
Led tail lights went out - $$$$$
Magnaride shocks - $$$$$
22" wheels are tough to balance / definitely shaking/vibration fixed with multiple trips to dealer
Loose shift feeling in drivers seat (I fixed with hose clamps)
Frame appeared to be unusually rusty - dealer repainted
Exhaust squeaks when going from 4cyl mode to v8 mode (still not fixed)
Brake cable squeaks going over speed bumps (sounds like suspension but told it's the cable rubbing - dealer put gobs of blue grease that temporarily fixed it)
Front air damn thing drags getting in my very shallow driveway..

Pros:
Really great snow vehicle - Wyoming and Colorado winters were nothing.

I'd still go with the Mercedes - be sure to test drive one at speed - the merc handles like a fast car but with truck capability.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
oh one other complaint - on my truck and my buddies Denali when there is a low battery condition it makes all of the electronics act weirdly (screen flickering or freezing etc).

My 2005 Z71 Silverado tows better than the Yukon XL as well. No experience towing with the merc but I imagine it's as good as the Yukon.