Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Tachometer reading at 1/2 of actual

I'm asking this on behalf of my in-law who is restoring a 50's era Century Resorter. He replaced the engine with a newer engine (GM - mid 2000's) and new gauges.

I was not present when all the wiring was done, but here is the issue: All gauges show readings (temp, oil pressure, tach, battery), but the tachometer in particular is reading at about 1/2 of what it should. The temp and oil pressure appears accurate, and the battery is showing 12-14 volts.

Would appreciate items to check if you have experienced this. Not my boat, so you can ask questions but I probably won't have a good answer.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 89 tristar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfooter View Post
I'm asking this on behalf of my in-law who is restoring a 50's era Century Resorter. He replaced the engine with a newer engine (GM - mid 2000's) and new gauges.

I was not present when all the wiring was done, but here is the issue: All gauges show readings (temp, oil pressure, tach, battery), but the tachometer in particular is reading at about 1/2 of what it should. The temp and oil pressure appears accurate, and the battery is showing 12-14 volts.

Would appreciate items to check if you have experienced this. Not my boat, so you can ask questions but I probably won't have a good answer.

Thanks.
what kind of tach? does it have a selector switch for # of cylinders? I don't know why as the tach is reading from spark firing but in the back of my head is an itch that I have seen that happen with a 6cyl tach attached to a V-8 before
Old 07-28-2014, 11:11 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by slushpup View Post
what kind of tach? does it have a selector switch for # of cylinders? I don't know why as the tach is reading from spark firing but in the back of my head is an itch that I have seen that happen with a 6cyl tach attached to a V-8 before
My thoughts exactly. On my tach (teleflex), there is a cylinder selector switch. Incidentally, if the tach ever starts acting up a little, cycling through the settings on this switch to "knock the crud off" often solves the issue.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Faris gauges. I'll look for the 6cyl vs. 8 cyl switch as well.

Last edited by kyfooter; 07-28-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:25 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 225 vrs, 1995, LT1 engine
Tachometer

My tach started acting up and only showing half rpms and it was caused by my blower exhaust motor. When blower was on the tach acted up but when blower was off it worked fine. Kinda weard, electrical interference.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by slushpup View Post
Many tach's trigger off of the coil, that is why you have to match the tach to the number of cylinders. Some of the old tach's like Sun had an external sender that made the conversion, If you are trying to use a vintage gauge, there are people that can upgrade it to modern electronics but keep the vintage look. Good luck!