Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 06-25-2017, 07:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
Broken drive shaft

I was having a great weekend until I heard a loud pop and my boat lost fwd and reverse. I had my suspicion that it could have been the drive (prop) shaft but was hoping I was wrong. After getting towed back home and throwing it on the trailer, I found that the prop was sitting against the rudder and the shaft moved freely. It appears to have broken inside the hull. From what I can find, the shaft for my 05 X-10 is a splined 52.5" 1 1/8" part. I have found one on waterskis.com for $710. I looked on skidim as well that says it's for 03 and up MC but doesn't give the length. Is it the correct one for my boat or are there any other sources besides going to my dealer?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:15 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
darn - post pictures where it crack... I bet inside packing nut. sorry to read this CC
Old 06-25-2017, 09:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Look here for a similar option. Maybe they can help. Scroll down on their FAQ page. Pretty much what Discount Inboard Marine has to offer (and probably their source). Either source can confirm your needs with a phone call.

Look on the dot com marine shopping web sites.

A few:

Go2marine
ebasic power
bakes online
marine hardware

All things said and done, I'd say the DIM people will be the path of least resistance, although shopping around may save some change on a competitive price...

Last edited by waterlogged882; 06-25-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:05 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
darn - post pictures where it crack... I bet inside packing nut. sorry to read this CC
Could be. I was honestly trying to get the boat put away as there was a pretty bad storm rolling in so I didn't get a chance to look. Ironically, I just got my local marina to replace my shaft seal with a dripless system. When they went to put the shaft back in place, they said that the port side of the engine was about a half an inch low so they adjusted it until it lined back up properly. I am wondering if it was stressed before or if they did not reinstall it correctly. I am unfortunately not going to be able to do anything to fix it as we are putting all extra money into a new house and closing on Friday. I may be without it for this season and have to fix it the winter.

The good news is that we have a new neighbor with a Ski nautique and a Moomba, so I should still be able to get some time behind a boat, one way or another.

Thanks for the responses. I'll post pics when I get back to the lake, hopefully by Monday, provided I can get moved into the new house.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Could be. I was honestly trying to get the boat put away as there was a pretty bad storm rolling in so I didn't get a chance to look. Ironically, I just got my local marina to replace my shaft seal with a dripless system. When they went to put the shaft back in place, they said that the port side of the engine was about a half an inch low so they adjusted it until it lined back up properly. I am wondering if it was stressed before or if they did not reinstall it correctly. I am unfortunately not going to be able to do anything to fix it as we are putting all extra money into a new house and closing on Friday. I may be without it for this season and have to fix it the winter.

The good news is that we have a new neighbor with a Ski nautique and a Moomba, so I should still be able to get some time behind a boat, one way or another.

Thanks for the responses. I'll post pics when I get back to the lake, hopefully by Monday, provided I can get moved into the new house.
engine too low? strut center of universe.. my shaft not directly centered in thru-hull perfectly... oh well mechanical repair always trumps hull damage...
Old 06-26-2017, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X10, MCX, acme prop, Teak platform, red bimini, sacked out
I have an 05 X-10 that I replaced my driveshaft back in Feb 2016. I had unknowingly bend the strut and continued running it. This wore a groove in the shaft where the seal sat and I started taking on alot of water. Nobody could repair my shaft where it was worn. It was the original shaft and it was 52-1/2" length like yours. I had my strut straightened by a local prop place and had them install new cutlass bearings. I purchased the ARE shaft from skidim and I believe it was about $500.00 It comes with a new coupler, nut, etc. I remember that I did order a 53" and installed it myself without any problems. The expensive item was the new shaft seal. I believe it was over $140, and I probably got it from waterskis..com.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, 2003, MCX 350
'03 X30 shaft just purchased from my local Mastercraft dealer was just a tick over $400. FYI. 1 1/8", splined. Not sure of length, but has to be close to yours.

He did bargain the price down from retail as I was really nice on the phone and he was feeling my pain. Prop, strut, shaft taken out by a fat log.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star, Indmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Newland View Post
'03 X30 shaft just purchased from my local Mastercraft dealer was just a tick over $400. FYI. 1 1/8", splined. Not sure of length, but has to be close to yours.

He did bargain the price down from retail as I was really nice on the phone and he was feeling my pain. Prop, strut, shaft taken out by a fat log.
My experience was exactly the same. My MC dealer charged me 386 for my splined 03 shaft. I would check with them first, as every part I've gotten for my engine was cheaper than what you can find on skidim, or exactly the same price with no charge for shipping.

-D2

Old 06-27-2017, 07:45 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodlee View Post
I have an 05 X-10 that I replaced my driveshaft back in Feb 2016. I had unknowingly bend the strut and continued running it. This wore a groove in the shaft where the seal sat and I started taking on alot of water. Nobody could repair my shaft where it was worn. It was the original shaft and it was 52-1/2" length like yours. I had my strut straightened by a local prop place and had them install new cutlass bearings. I purchased the ARE shaft from skidim and I believe it was about $500.00 It comes with a new coupler, nut, etc. I remember that I did order a 53" and installed it myself without any problems. The expensive item was the new shaft seal. I believe it was over $140, and I probably got it from waterskis..com.
That sounds all too familiar. I took my boat to the shop to get the shaft seal replaced this winter as it was taking on lots of water. They claimed the leak was fixed but it wasn't. I will need to inspect the shaft to see if there is a groove. I hope I won't need to buy another new seal though. How difficult is the cutlass bearing to remove and install?
Old 06-27-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
That sounds all too familiar. I took my boat to the shop to get the shaft seal replaced this winter as it was taking on lots of water. They claimed the leak was fixed but it wasn't. I will need to inspect the shaft to see if there is a groove. I hope I won't need to buy another new seal though. How difficult is the cutlass bearing to remove and install?
not difficult..

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_a_cutlass