Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-16-2017, 10:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
Engine quits

My engine has been acting up the past few weekends me seems to be getting more frequent. It will just quit right in the middle of a set and has shut down while idling as well. Sometimes it starts right back up, while other times it turns over but doesn't start. It sounds to me like it could be the fuel pump, but I haven't tested the lines to check pressure. The last time I noticed the gauge was blinking ECU, which could be several things, I guess. That message may have come up before but I have never really looked to notice. Has anyone else had this issue, especially with the ECU message? It is the RTP engine.

Last edited by CC2MC; 09-17-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
If you suspect fuel pump, check pressure with a gauge. Also, check to be sure every electrical connection you can find is tight, especially the primary cables, from battery to starter to alternator to ground.

BYI, turns over = cranks . . . just so you don't confuse the issue.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 X20
I had the same symptoms but different engine. My engine would quit but if I jiggled the wiring connector at the fuel pump it would run again. The next time you have trouble starting the engine, have someone listen and/or feel the fuel pump as you turn the ignition on (to see if the pump is priming). If the pump doesn't turn on when you turn the ignition switch on, jiggle the electrical connector in/out etc, and see if that causes the pump to turn on.

I think it's a common problem that the female side of the fuel pump wiring harness connector gets loose and loses connection. I ground the end of a flat head screwdriver to a sharp point and used it to bend the tabs in the connector to make it fit tight again. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
My friend replaced his fuel pump only to find out that his relay was intermittently acting up, and the fuel pump was fine.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
go to the basics

fuel delivery - i.e. clogged fuel pump.. check woring
that motor has HEI ignition - check module - check pickup coil in distributor.
you can test the relays.

2005 - if you never changed the fuel pump in the module - you might be getting the early signal that it is about to give up it's ghost.. check fuel pump 101 thread
Old 09-18-2017, 10:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
basics, if you have to start throwing parts at it, buy the cheaper stuff first