Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2013, 05:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
liability waivers. Anyone?

I was wandering if anyone has made there buddies sign liability waivers before coming aboard there boats. Over the years I have seen wakeboarders injure themselves pretty bad from blown ACL's to even a buddy who had to have neck surgery to have a couple vertabrates fused together from a hard spill. Plus throw in the fact that a lot of people like to booze it up on the water too. It just spells disaster. As a boat owner it puts all the liability on me. I have had other friends who owned boats who mentioned they might do that but never did. I wander even if I did have my buddies sign a waiver if it would even hold up in court.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
When our daughter hurt herself skiing last year the health insurance company began makeing inquiries as if the would like to go after the boat owner as liable for the injury. I think they gave up, but it does make me nervous. We have an umbrella policy for just this type of thing. We used to have a trampoline, and that made me even more nervous.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Tige RZ2, previously 99 MC205
Once things get to the point i feel its necessary to get my friends to sign a waiver, its time to take up another hobby. I know the U.S. is considerably more litigious than Canada, but i just don't think i could make them sign something.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
I reckon that may end in loneliness and no driver!
Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Skipper

I don't know that a waiver would be much help if something actually happened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
I have never heard of a boat owner being responsible for watersports injury.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
I actually know first hand that two boat owners were sued and their insurance had to pay big money for someone being hurt behind their boat. One guy was pulling a friend of a friend. Rider wiped out pretty bad. Well friend of friends parents sued the boat driver's/owners insurance and won for the med bills and then some. Similar situation in the other as well. It's absurd if you ask me, but I guess that is why we have insurance.

I would think you assume the risk when u strap in the board. Yet liberal judges obviously don't feel the same way. No one is responsible for their own actions anymore. I will say both these situations have def changed my view on picking up a random rider at the dock on ocassions. I no longer will do that because of what those two guys have gone through.

Meanwhile I catch a hockey puck to the face and loose 14 teeth and I have to fight my own insurance to even cover a portion of the 20, 000 teeth bill because they claim it should be under you $1500 max dental policy.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique

Last edited by swatguy; 09-09-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:19 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 SANTE 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
I actually know first hand that two boat owners were sued and their insurance had to pay big money for someone being hurt behind their boat. One guy was pulling a friend of a friend. Rider wiped out pretty bad. Well friend of friends parents sued the boat driver's/owners insurance and won for the med bills and then some. Similar situation in the other as well. It's absurd if you ask me, but I guess that is why we have insurance.

I would think you assume the risk when u strap in the board. Yet liberal judges obviously don't feel the same way. No one is responsible for their own actions anymore. I will say both these situations have def changed my view on picking up a random rider at the dock on ocassions. I no longer will do that because of what those two guys have gone through.

Meanwhile I catch a hockey puck to the face and loose 14 teeth and I have to fight my own insurance to even cover a portion of the 20, 000 teeth bill because they claim it should be under you $1500 max dental policy.
Indeed. The system of responsibility in courts is out of sync.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Here in OZ my understanding of the situation is that third parties including waterskiiers and the like are covered by our boat insurance which must have liability inclusive. (14teeth, geez glad we don't have ice hockey over here!)
Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
From everything I have heard, a waiver is basically worthless if an accident tests them.

The act of signing and setting of expectations may be enough to make passengers think about their actions thus reducing risk but if Sh!t hits the fan, you are going to pay most likely.
As mentioned, you do run the risk of alienating friends or friends of friends.

Over the years I have grown more assertive at establishing expectations and general boating instructions to any nubies which also serves as a reminder for more regular guests.