Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-06-2013, 10:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
Personally, I would never do that to the drive train of my boat, though it may provide results. There's no right way to do the wrong thing.
Hard to argue with this.

COSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2001. 310hp preditor
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Hard to argue with this.
Agreed with doing it right but sometimes it is just not affordable and next best will have to do.

Just done a few searches for a strut.... and my origional estimate of $400 was out a bit.. Locally they are about $600, even if anyone has the 1" shaft size.

If I freight one in from the US it will be about $150 in freight and then the $3-400 for the strut.. if I am lucky!

The idea of sanding the base with a belt sander is a great idea! Exactly what forums are for... great ideas. This should be easy enough to get a few millimeters change and still have a flat surface. If it does not work... well then I will have to get a new one anyway!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Report back when you get her done.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2012 X14V 6.0 Ilmor
I had a similar situation with another boat a few years back. Rather than pack it out with washers, I bought a piece of brass plate and silver soldered it to the strut/skeg. Then drilled the holes back out and took it to a machine shop with a mill and had the excess material taken off leaving the strut with the required angle and a perfectly flat surface for mounting. Hope this helps .Cheers.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Just ordered some stuff from Ski-Dim ( can still add a strut if you wish). I think they were $322US which would be approx.$366AD plus maybe $100 freight. Still major coin but not as bad as it could be. FWIW I have found them exceptional to deal with. Will have my stuff in 10 days usually.Have Fun.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Peter, great offer! I do want some stuff from the US but the minister of finance in our house does not agree!!

Will be calling the local prop shop first thing in the morning. They originally straitened it for me and might be able to adjust the angle of the strut. It was slightly bent but at the correct angle and I think they repaired it to the Malibu angle which I think is different to the angle specified by MC. Either way I am sure they can work it.

The strut only has a few hours on it with new bearings as well so a shame to ditch it if a little effort ( and less cash) can make it perfect.

Cheers

Mark
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1124, I think this is your's, Mentioned as 16degrees if it can be relied upon. Have fun....
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2 2004 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
Agreed with doing it right but sometimes it is just not affordable and next best will have to do.

Just done a few searches for a strut.... and my origional estimate of $400 was out a bit.. Locally they are about $600, even if anyone has the 1" shaft size.

If I freight one in from the US it will be about $150 in freight and then the $3-400 for the strut.. if I am lucky!

The idea of sanding the base with a belt sander is a great idea! Exactly what forums are for... great ideas. This should be easy enough to get a few millimeters change and still have a flat surface. If it does not work... well then I will have to get a new one anyway!
Hi Mark, If you need any parts in Aus, there is a mob in Qld called "MasterCraft Boat Services" 0755304357. I have found them to have very competitive prices and normally have most things in stock. Very helpful also.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallees View Post
Hi Mark, If you need any parts in Aus, there is a mob in Qld called "MasterCraft Boat Services" 0755304357. I have found them to have very competitive prices and normally have most things in stock. Very helpful also.
Nice one Mallees! Thanks!!
Old 09-09-2013, 02:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Shimming the strut with washers is a absolutely an acceptable repair. Taking a belt sander or grinder to the strut base to tweak the angle slightly is perfectly acceptable as well. I have seen struts vary significantly from casting to casting. Buying a new strut is no guarantee that you wont be back asking this very question after spending $400+.

I would remove the shaft log hose and see how close you are to being centered in the log with the strut as-is. If its off a good distance, then adjust the strut until youre centered. If youre already centered, then there is an issue with the mounting location of the powertrain and I would not attempt moving the strut to accommodate that.