Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-31-2018, 01:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 MC Prostar 6.2L
2016 6.2L impeller issues

Hi, looking for some advice, opinions etc. We purchased a 2016 Prostar this year with the 6.L (open loop cooling). We have had multiple issues with cooling this year but finally thought we had it solved. Last weekend during a clinic on the first skier of the day, we had our impeller grenade and the boat overheat. The impeller has been changed a few months ago and only had about 100hrs. The thermostat and bypass valve are new. The impeller looked like the vanes were stuck to the housing as there was just the hub left. Pics attached.

Any thoughts on why this would happen? I am not a fan on the way the cooling system is setup as the water coming into the boat has to run thru the strainer, loop back and run thru the tranny cooler before it finally makes it to the impeller. Given this is on the suction side it makes it pretty hard for the impeller to suck and any leak etc causes water not to flow. I have been thinking about changing the routing so that the water goes from the strainer into the impeller and the discharge of the impeller goes to the tranny cooler like the indmarís used to do.

Thoughts? Has anyone else had issues with this? How often are 6.2L owners changing their impellers?

Kamloops Waterski Club
www.kwsc.weebly.com
Old 08-31-2018, 01:28 PM
TT Regular

Picture attached
Attached Images

Kamloops Waterski Club
www.kwsc.weebly.com
Old 09-01-2018, 07:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 MariStar 210 VRS EFI
Have you checked the tranny cooler for blockage? I know mine is older (2000 MariStar) but when I replaced mine this year I found 2 big pieces of old impeller vanes, from the previous owner,! partially blocking the cooler. If you have that much stuff to go through before getting to the impeller any blockage could starve the pump and those canít take being dry on rotation. That and make sure whoever is installing them doesnít use petroleum jelly. That will damage the vanes. Always use dish soap as an install lube.

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2018, 08:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
From description, I think the impeller is after tranny cooler.
Many many of the 90ís boats ( and maybe more) are set up this way, although not all had strainer. So I wouldnít worry about hose routing.
I would double check the input side of tranny cooler in case stuff / seaweed etc made it past the strainer.
Also, if impeller was that bad, may need to check engine and other spots somehow to confirm no impeller bits are stuck, reducing water flow.
For sure need to pull impeller annually for inspection and potentially replacement.
Did you replace the other parts because of overheat or something else?
Are you still skiing, or smoked out (forest fires)?
Old 09-01-2018, 09:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-45
Check the hoses also for bits of the old impeller. Sometimes fragments get caught up in the spiraled metal springs that prevent the hoses from collapsing.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
If you boat in clean water I’d be inclined to ditch the strainer
Old 09-01-2018, 11:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
If you boat in clean water Iíd be inclined to ditch the strainer
Now that you mention it I have never ever had anything in my strainer basket. Makes sense. I only boat at Tablerock which is very clean.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Is that a johnson or jabsco branded impeller? There are some impeller from china using the words "replacement for"... I accidently bought one of those and noticed creases in the vanes after 25 hours.. Johnson OEM impellers never showed any creases on vanes

Based on the picture.. that impeller got freakin' hot.. i second the lack of water to impeller

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 01:31 AM
TT Regular

Ya it’s a jabsco impeller. So second time out tonight with the new impeller. Put the boat in the water and started it up and no flow! Had to get it to 5-7mph before I got flow. After I achieved flow it would always mark ntain flow even when I shut the boat down.

So, I will start checking from the strainer back as I am sure the tranny cooler is fine.

Kamloops Waterski Club
www.kwsc.weebly.com
Old 09-04-2018, 01:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
Make sure all hose fittings are tight.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)