Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-30-2011, 06:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 x-star
Hey wakescene, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting all this info. I'm getting ready to replace my coils and the info you've provided has been incredibly helpful. If you have any tips on landing a wrapped heelside 5 I'm all ears . . . .
Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
Hey wakescene, I just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting all this info. I'm getting ready to replace my coils and the info you've provided has been incredibly helpful. If you have any tips on landing a wrapped heelside 5 I'm all ears . . . .
Why are you replacing your coils?
Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
I have an LTR that's running great at the moment but this is good info to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakescene View Post
I was getting an intermittent misfire on cyl 7.
I'm curious how you know such specific info about the misfire. Is the dealer pulling a code for you that tells you? Or are you using what I've heard referred to as the "paperclip method" to get the check engine light to telegraph the codes to you? Also, once you have the codes where can you lookup what they mean? I'm assuming these aren't the standard automotive OBDII codes that could be looked up anywhere online.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
I have an LTR that's running great at the moment but this is good info to have.

I'm curious how you know such specific info about the misfire. Is the dealer pulling a code for you that tells you? Or are you using what I've heard referred to as the "paperclip method" to get the check engine light to telegraph the codes to you? Also, once you have the codes where can you lookup what they mean? I'm assuming these aren't the standard automotive OBDII codes that could be looked up anywhere online.
Unless the IC module or ECM has a problem, no code will be present and it's OBD I- same codes as regular GM, when applicable.

Edited to add:

If one or more cylinders isn't firing, the knock sensor may pick up something and that could show a code. It depends on the situation.

Last edited by JimN; 09-03-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Unless the IC module or ECM has a problem, no code will be present and it's OBD I- same codes as regular GM, when applicable.

So, if you had a misfire would you just pull one sparkplug wire at a time until the engine idles smooth? Then try swapping the coil for that plug with another one and if the problem follows the coil then you know it's bad?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS, LTR 330HP, ZeroFlex Tower, KGB Ballast, PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro,
Unhappy

I actually have an engine builder friend that picked it off. From there we investigated the plugs and wires until we found the offending plug and cooresponding coil. This particular coil did have some corrosion on the connections and once cleaned, problem was fixed. It's the old school method and you have to insure that the plugs are really clean before you start...but its nearly fool proof in determining the misfire. Talking at length with him he said that you probably won't get any codes, as there is no detection at the plug, and most mgt system don't monitor the coils either. Misfires are pretty basic even with the new computer driven motors, the plug is not firing when it should, and there is almost always a simple reason why.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:11 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
So, if you had a misfire would you just pull one sparkplug wire at a time until the engine idles smooth? Then try swapping the coil for that plug with another one and if the problem follows the coil then you know it's bad?
Removing plug wires will not make it run smoother. You don't want to pull the plug wires manually- the output is close to 80,000V. You verify spark to each cylinder, using a spark tester and if you have no spark on one cylinder, I would replace that plug before moving the coil to another position.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwskier View Post
I actually have having ignition problems as well, on a 99 with the LTR engin. I posted a question under electric. My dealer said I had a bad ignition module, and the Indmar price was 850-1,100. I pulled it off the boat and went "googling" and found the part at summit racing. Here's the link. . http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMP-LX362/?rtype=10 I can confirm that the part was from a cadillac!

I actually ended up buying it from Amazon, and got it for 170.00. However, I decided to clean all the connections and reinstall the old module before I put the new on one. When I got it back together, everything ran like a champ. Actually sent the part back to amazon today.

Thanks for posting the details... If i had this information, i would have saved myself several months of research. Anyway, for anybody else that has hesitation/electric/ignition problems, and you've eliminated everything else, and your mechanic says it's the ignition module, don't worry, you don't have to fork over 1K!

I would like to thank you for this post! I owe you a steak dinner! I've been having missing problems all summer long. Replaced the fuel pump to no avail. After narrowing it down to an ignition problem, I searched the forums and found this post. I pulled my ignition module out, pulled the coils, cleaned all connections, put dielectric grease and all connections and it fixed my driveability issues!

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2016, 11:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 ProStar 190
Ignition Control Module is our next step - Now I'm wondering mine is 1995 LT1 what module I will need? Darn Indmar for not using parts that match engine !

Has anybody replaced ICM on a 1996 or believe goes to 1996 LT! in Prostar 190 ?

We found a broken shield wire and slightly corroded plug to ICM, had it fixed and still no start.

My son is wondering if removing the fuel rails and checking the injectors is beyond his scope of mechanics. Anybody have imput on this ?

Thanks for any opinions hate to give up now with some great rersorces here , & knowledge we can take to the lake in case problems happen -
Old 07-29-2016, 12:39 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
ignition module is from a gm northstar v8.

it's bolted to coil packs.. very readily available parts....