Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-29-2017, 09:36 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 197
Bilge line leak near thru-hole

It seems that the bilge line on my 2009 197 has a split or is leaking somewhere near the thru-hole. The bilge pump runs as expected but only a small dribble of water comes out of the thru-hole located in the starboard bow. Also after the bilge runs, the carpet on the driver's floor panel gets wet as well as the carpeting located below the driver's side bow seat cushion.

I've never tried to access this area before and I can't see how to do it. Can I get to the bilge hose and hose clamps after removing the seat backs? Do I need to go in through the driver's floor panel? Any advice on how to get to this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

ps- after reading other threads, I am pretty sure this is not from the heater core since the heater box is located on the port side under the observer's seat .

Last edited by SkiDaddle; 11-29-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDaddle View Post
It seems that the bilge line on my 2009 197 has a split or is leaking somewhere near the thru-hole. The bilge pump runs as expected but only a small dribble of water comes out of the thru-hole located in the starboard bow. Also after the bilge runs, the carpet on the driver's floor panel gets wet as well as the carpeting located below the driver's side bow seat cushion.

I've never tried to access this area before and I can't see how to do it. Can I get to the bilge hose and hose clamps after removing the seat backs? Do I need to go in through the driver's floor panel? Any advice on how to get to this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

ps- after reading other threads, I am pretty sure this is not from the heater core since the heater box is located on the port side under the observer's seat .
A suggestion (if applicable to your boat)....

The thru-hole is located where you have found it. Easy enough, just to the top right of the driver cockpit. I think you can remove the old hose from the through port and attach (duct tape, etc.) a new hose to that detached end. Go to the pump and pull the old hose out, feeding the new hose right through. If you're lucky, you'll get the new hose to pull right through. If not, lift the center floor section to further access the area where the old hose comes through and feed the new right on through the opening.

$0.02

John 3:16-18
Old 11-29-2017, 04:31 PM
TT Newbie

>>I think you can remove the old hose from the through port<<

Waterlogged-

It's the inside of the thru-hole where the hose attaches that I need access. I can't see or reach the inside of the thru-hole from the sitting in the bow.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
>>I think you can remove the old hose from the through port<<

Waterlogged-

It's the inside of the thru-hole where the hose attaches that I need access. I can't see or reach the inside of the thru-hole from the sitting in the bow.
I understand and was hoping that was not the case. Best luck.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 11-29-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
I had a 2002 197. you should be able to remove the panel above the drivers foot rest via 2 to 4 screws. The brain box of the speed control was mounted on that piece on mine but you could still drop it. may need to unplug a wire or two. You can gain more room to do the work by removing the drivers seat but unless they improved the design, mine was a pain to get off and back on.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:13 PM
TT Newbie

Ok got the driver's seat out and removed the kick panel under the steering console to gain access to the bilge hose next to the thru-hole. Removed the thin and brittle plastic hose that had split wide open near the barbed connector. The existing hose was so thin it practically crumbled when I held it. So rather than trying to connect a new hose to the old one in fear that it would break, I attached a 1/4" nylon braided string to the old hose and pulled that through. Now I have the string attached to a piece of reinforced vinyl hose to snake between the engine compartment and the bow. But after a couple hours of trying to get the new hose in place (trying from either direction) I'm at my wits end. Is there an easy way to open up the flooring under the drivers seat, or some other way to gain access to the cavity under the floor that the bilge hose runs through? I have one more day of really nice weather that I would like to get this wrapped up before it rains and turns cold.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by SkiDaddle; 12-03-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:01 PM
MC Master Poster

best luck

Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-03-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:09 PM
TT Newbie

Done! (sortof)

I guessed yesterday that the new hose was snagging as well. So this morning I fashioned a nose cone for the new hose from one of my son's forgotten model rockets and a little duct tape. After lathering up the first 5-7 feet of the hose with a generous amount of liquid soap I went after it again. After only about an hour of wiggling, pushing, and pulling (and cursing).. success!

New hose installed. But now I can't get the friggin kick panel to go back in place. Oh well, I still have tomorrow before the weather gets snotty.

After I got the hose through, I then realized that I should have pulled an extra string through as well for whatever breaks next. ha
Old 12-03-2017, 06:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
But now I can't get the friggin kick panel to go back in place.
Big Hammer ....

Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-03-2017 at 06:48 PM.