Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseller View Post
is the hissing coming from all the speakers? mine is just coming from my tower speakers
Then, make sure the input controls are set correctly. Speakers don't hiss- that comes from too much gain, either from an amplifier or equalizer.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, X7, 2004, Yellow
You have my attention just installed new tower speakers and have the same problem.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Then, make sure the input controls are set correctly. Speakers don't hiss- that comes from too much gain, either from an amplifier or equalizer.
noted. however, this is just at low volume...they sound great when riding...
Old 06-30-2011, 04:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Sad to say but I've found most wiring in boats to be lacking in attention to detail especially if a car audio shop or previous owner has had their hands on it. It would appear this is so because of the cost to do things right. To a large degree most people are more interested in getting cheap than right.

The easiest way to clean up your power and grounding circuits is to install distribution blocks for both power and grounding circuits. This will ensure that all the amps are getting adequate power through large enough cables and that all the grounds are coming to and tied to the same power/grounding source which should be your battery.

Sonic Electroix carries a large assortment of distribution blocks from Streetwires which I have used and have found to be a high quality product. I'm sure there are several other products out there that would do the job just as well but these are the ones that I've used......

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m...on-blocks.html

You'll also want to be sure the cables supplying power and ground are sized correctly as well. This is one of those areas where larger is actually better. I found Genuine Dealz to be about the best place to get marine quality wire and connectors.

http://genuinedealz.com/

Cleaning up your installation with these components will not be cheap but if you do a little research and take your time it will be done right and will clear up a lot of problems going forward.
well the boat is only a year old, and i havent touched the wiring in it. We bought the boat new, and it has only gotten worse now that ive put a bigger amplifier to the tower speakers.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseller View Post
is the hissing coming from all the speakers? mine is just coming from my tower speakers
mine comes from all speakers.

1985 S&S
Old 06-30-2011, 04:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
If the sound rises and falls with the engine RPM, it can be a grounding issue but it can also be due to the amps' input sensitivity set incorrectly. JL has info on their site for doing this and it's the best method I have seen, other than using an oscilloscope (which they used when they developed it).

FYI- by telling you to "put in an RCA ground loop", they proved that they don't understand what a ground loop is. It's not something you put in, it's something that needs to be avoided.

A ground loop is caused by resistance on the power and/or ground wires when multiple paths to ground exist. Who installed the Alpine head unit? If they grounded it to the main harness, that could be the cause. The best practice is to run a 12ga ground wire from the amplifier's ground terminal to the head unit and install a ring terminal on the end of the wire. The threaded stud that comes with the head unit should be used to hold the support strap in place and will accept the new ground wire as well as the head unit's ground wire. This usually eliminates the noise.

Look at the input level controls (which I called 'input sensitivity controls')- if they're turned up fully, do the setup I mentioned before anything else. If you don't, your speakers won't live long- when these controls are turned up all the way, the amp will distort before you reach full volume on the head unit and the distortion causes all kinds of problems for speakers. The tweeters will be the first to go.
I installed the alpine amp. it was only a matter of switching wires though, im running the stock clarion unit that was factory installed.

1985 S&S
Old 06-30-2011, 04:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
Even just swapping the amp can cause this. I would assume the amp u put in has more wattage than the stock clarion. The factory grounds the head unit to a "common" ground. When I upped my wattage, went with Hlcd speaker, and upgraded my amp my boats towers also started hum. Undid the factory head unit "common" ground and ran it to my distribution block for my two amps like the above mentioned and problem solved. I am running a clarion m475 which is an upgrade from the original factory with regards to features, but essentially same specs as original.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique

Last edited by swatguy; 06-30-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric's205V View Post
well the boat is only a year old, and i havent touched the wiring in it. We bought the boat new, and it has only gotten worse now that ive put a bigger amplifier to the tower speakers.
OK, so you put a bigger amp in- how much more power and what are the power supply requirements for the new amp? It's possible that the new amp needs heavier power cable and the input level controls need to be set properly, as I posted before. Wide open DOES NOT give you full power output, it gives you distortion and noise. They're variable because the output signal isn't the same for all head units.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric's205V View Post
I installed the alpine amp. it was only a matter of switching wires though, im running the stock clarion unit that was factory installed.
Power and ground connections are the most important in any circuit. You can't have any appreciable resistance on either if you want the system to work flawlessly and if resistance can be measured, the power supply voltage will drop. This voltage drop is what causes a ground loop- the amp doesn't care where it gets its ground from, it just wants a certain voltage, so it causes DC voltage to pass along the audio cables. This is a classic ground loop- the easy way to test for it is to disconnect the audio cables and listen for the noise. If it's gone after unplugging the cables, measure for DC voltage between the shield of the head unit's RCA output plug and the shield for the amp's input jack. If you can measure voltage, you'll always have noise.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:35 PM
MC Master Poster

when you unplug the rca's, the noise is gone.

1985 S&S