Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 08-10-2018, 02:05 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 205V
Big Guy Skim Board

I have to build a skim board for a guy who is 300lb+ and I'm trying to decide what dimensions to make it. Anyone out there a bigger dude who likes to ride skim? If so, what size board are you riding and what do/don't you like about it?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
A belated welcome to TT, nice to see Jack Pine Surf here. Curious, does JP build for NeverSummer?

As a proxy skim for bigger riders, we have had luck with the P5 Daniello Diamond. Dimensions are 57"L x 22"W x 0.75" H. Original model which we have is a 1" center fin, new generation has 3 fins.

We had guys up to 250 using it, I am 225 and enjoyed it quite a bit primarily for first two seasons learning the sport. I now prefer a surf style board but the P5 DD has good buoyancy for a skim, is easy to flip for beginners, and it's width and low rocker made it faster even for bigger riders. We have had good luck using it as a learning board for any adult size given it is light and flips easy.

Pure guess here but perhaps you want to trend towards 60" length and 22"+ width for a 300' rider, but you are the builder and would know better.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 205V
Thanks for the reply. I've built a board for this rider in the past and I was able to successfully up-scale one of our existing models to fit him, but I wanted to see what experience others have had with skim boards for bigger dudes. I haven't built a skim specific board for someone this big yet and the more info I can gather, the better chance I have of getting it right the first time.

To answer your question, we do not build for NeverSummer, I believe they build their own stuff in-house. I have ridden never summer snowboards for many years though, which is why that's my username. I haven't figured out how to change my username, but I probably should now that NS is building wakesurf boards. We are a small company in our second season located in Wisconsin. We hand build everything in our garage/basement like traditional surfboards have been done for many years. We are having a lot of success in our local Wisconsin market, and have shipped a few boards to other states. It's been a really great adventure.